2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted zoom binoculars, but these are not as good as the fixed magnification binoculars, June 22, 2010
This review is from: Pentax 62217 UCF II 8-16x21 Zoom Binoculars (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
These zoom from 8 to 16 power, but they are extremely blurry at the higher magnifications. I already have 10 power fixed Pentax binoculars and they performed so well that I naturally went to Pentax when I wanted to upgrade.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have purchased this.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2011 4:53:36 AM PST
Takei says:
Is it blurry from motion at the higher zoom levels or from the optics alone? Does it make any difference if you brace it against a stationary object?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 6:04:58 AM PDT
Excavator61 says:
I even mounted the binoculars on a tripod to eliminate the shake factor. I take over 10,000 photos a year and I have some tripods that cost 3 times what these binoculars cost.

Obviously, there is a problem with the optics and the zoom mechanism in my binoculars.

UPDATE: Pentax has a "worry free" warranty on this item. The warranty involves spending $10.29 to ship the binoculars by UPS to Pentax for warranty repair. However.... warranty repairs are NOT free with Pentax... you have to send a $19.95 check to cover the "worry free" warranty service... plus an additional $12.00 to cover shipping back to you.

I decided not to spend the $43 or so money to do warranty service for binoculars costing in the $80+ range.

It was worth the $80 to me to find out what kind of company Pentax really is. They will never get me again. I will buy from other manufacturers.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 7:49:38 AM PDT
TS Liotte says:
That's not good that they would actually charge for their warranty service-

Do you find them at least useable at the lower zoom ranges? Otherwise maybe you could sell them to defray some of your cost?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 7:45:52 AM PDT
Why not just return them to where you bought them from?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 2:46:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2011 3:37:42 PM PDT
I. SAWA says:
I have no problem with zoom. You just have to remember you have to manually refocus each time you move the zoom ring. It will not automatically refocus for you...so you get blurry view. You also have to remember that images are not going to be in same sharpness when you zoom, especially with small diameter lenses like these. 21-mm lenses.....I will not even think about comparing these with my larger binoculars.

Personally, I think tripods are overkill for the compact binoculars like this. Light tripod will not do well with these, and you are not going to carry around heavy-duty tripod with these tiny binoculars. I use Canon 5D and 7D cameras with L lenses. So, I do have tripods which cost over $500.00, but I will not even think about bringing one of them for these binoculars. It really defeats the purpose of having such a light nice compact binoculars.

With anything over 8 power the views get shaky, and at X16, everything looks very shaky. But I can see pretty good details even the images are shaking. Shaking with magnification over X 6 or7 is normal, and cannot blame binocular makers for that.

These are very small & light binoculars with very sharp lenses (for 21-mm lenses), but you need to realize the limitations of compact binoculars, and enjoy them accordingly. I normally use the binoculars with 8 power setting, and zoom is very nice to have when I really need more magnification. When I need a larger binoculars, I do bring larger pairs.

You should have probably bought them here at http://amazon.com. If your binoculars were not made right Amazon would have take good care of you, and it would have cost you nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 3:35:43 PM PDT