4.0 out of 5 stars Just got these yesterday, October 29, 2010
This review is from: crocs Unisex Blitzen Corduroy Lined Clog (Apparel)
(I wrote this review to post to the Crocs.com website, but their text entry field doesn't allow carriage returns to separate paragraphs, which turns a multi-paragraph review into one big ugly wall of text. Whoever codes their website needs to fix that. I'll post it here instead.)

I was going to get a pair of Allen Edmond's Banff Moccasins, but decided to try these after a friend of mine recommended them. I was looking for something comfortable to wear at home while standing for about 6-8 hours a day on an anti-fatigue mat. My impressions:

Sizing: My feet fit into a US 9.5M just fine. I got these in size 10 because Crocs.com recommended upsizing, and because they don't make a 9.5. These are slightly too big for me. It makes them easy to slide in and out of (which is nice), but my heel lifts out with each step, with or without socks, which is a bit awkward. The inflexible sole is partly to blame for this--see the next section. The liner is not very thick, so it doesn't do much to tighten the fit. So basically, they appear to be a real size 10, and are not compensating for the liner.

Sole: The rubber seems very durable and is very light, but is inflexible and hard. After reading many reviews about how comfortable these are to wear, I was expecting the sole to be more flexible or soft. The rubber sole doesn't want to bend at the toes (the metatarsophalangeal joint) while walking normally, which combined with the loose fit causes my heels to slip out with each step. The sole is so inflexible that it is hard to bend using your hands. Maybe the rubber softens up with usage? I guess I'll find out. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I just wanted to mention this.

Liner: I initially wanted the regular Blitzen with the fuzzy looking exterior lining. But after inspecting it, I noticed that you could pull tufts of it's fur out easily, which I didn't like. After noticing that the corduroy version's exterior liner was much sturdier, I purchased those instead. The interior of the liner isn't corduroy, it is "faux fur" (fake fur). Even though these are loose on me, the liner comes out rather easily when taking the shoes off of with bare feet, and is worse with socks. With bare feet I can inch my feet out by pushing forward with my toes to hold the liner in. With socks I have to use my hands to push the liner off of my socks. I suggest that Croc figure out how to make include a more rigid, machine washable base that will keep the liner in the shoe better.

Liner Removal: [Update] Thanks to Carmen Maloney's comment I was able to remove the liners. The rivet isn't supposed to come out of the hole in the side of the shoe. The liner's rubber grommet needs to be stretched around the rivet instead. If this is not obvious, don't blame yourself. To help, picture the factory assembly in your head: 1. Two tiny holes are made in the shoe, one per side. 2. A hard plastic rivet with a Croc picture on it is inserted into those holes. The rivet has a one-way plastic clasp, so it cannot be removed. 3. The liner has a heavy rubber grommet (stretchy circle with a hole in it) sewn into it. The rubber grommet is stretched over the outside end of the rivet.

After finally knowing what needs to be done, it isn't very hard to get the liners off, but the shoes should come with picture instructions for this. Unfortunately, getting them back on is a bit of a trick also. One needs to press the rivet partially back into the grommet using the side of the shoe as a base (because rivet's edge is too sharp for a finger), after which one needs to simultaneously push from the inside of the shoe outwards on the rivet while trying to stretch the grommet the rest of the way around the rivet. Or whatever one makes up to get the job done, because there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do it. I recommend that Croc redesign this part of the shoe to make this procedure easier. I really can't see people in their 80s being physically able to do what I just struggled through in my 30s.

Here's my analogy of the procedure:
Pretend you are putting on a dress shirt, except the the holes are made of thick rubber and the buttons are thin and sharp. When you try to press the buttons into the rubber holes, the rubber is so tough and the buttons so sharp that they practically cut into your fingers. So instead of pushing the buttons into the rubber holes, you try to push the rubber holes around the buttons while pushing on the buttons from inside of the shirt. That's what putting the liners back on these shoes is like.

Liner Cleaning: I haven't had to clean them yet, so I can't comment on that process' results. But I suggest that Croc provide liners that can be machine washed and dried.

Rating: 4/5 stars. Seems to be a nice product, but could use some improvement.

[Add comment]