0 of 21 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Seachem Flourish Excel 500ml (Misc.)
I was reccomended to this product by a fish store I've been going to for a while. The day I put it in both my tanks with live plants I had leaves starting to turn white. After 3 days I stopped because the results weren't getting better. I ended up with a drop in ph, one dead fish and some dead leaves but my plants survived. I read one review that stated this product kills algae but helps plants to grow, how does that happen?
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 24, 2011 12:35:39 PM PDT
M. Wood says:
Sounds like an overdose, which will "burn" your plants. You just have to be careful and follow instructions when using this product. Most people I know only dose their tanks every other day, and do a 20-50% water change once a week to make sure there is not a build up of nutrients.
Posted on Aug 29, 2011 6:28:56 PM PDT
Michael SEO says:
Your plants may have died because of lack of nutrients. Putting a 1 for plants that were already dying when all others are reporting great results should make you ponder what is wrong in your situation before ripping the product.
Posted on Nov 24, 2011 4:04:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 4:08:13 PM PST
Cloudy water is a sign of an overdose, I believe its because the bacteria that's supposed to filter out the water dies in the process. I know because I overdosed my heavily planted tank (reduced to 1/4 water and dosed 3 times) to get rid of algae and ended up killing all living things in there, including the glossostigma mat - all melted away in the aftermath. As a top 500 on ADA Aquatic Plant Contest participant, I cant do without Seachem Flourish, I even import it to Japan, at $$$ shipping cost.
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 5:40:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2012 5:40:46 PM PST
Christopher Yow says:
You asked how it can help plants grow but cut down on algae. If you have plants AND algae, then the plants aren't using up the nutrients in your tank and the algae is. Co2 helps plants absorb the nutrients better. When that happens, the plants out-compete the algae for the nutrients, causing the algae to die off. Healthy, vigorous plants = little to no algae.
If you have unhealthy plants and an algae problem, that indicates the plants aren't getting what they need, and the algae is eating the nutrients, instead. Good lighting helps the plants, obviously. Co2 gives the plants an easier time of absorbing nutrients.
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 5:47:14 PM PDT
They weren't already dying. My plants were doing fine but I had seen the same plants doing better in other peoples tanks. Once I put this product in my tank, the leaves turned white, not before.
Posted on Dec 9, 2012 12:43:01 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 4, 2016 10:08:01 AM PST]
Posted on Dec 14, 2013 1:06:14 PM PST
R. Harry says:
As I said to another 1 star poster - If your light is too low, the plants will not absorb and convert the CO2. It lingers in your tank and builds up and then starts to kill things as it reaches toxic levels. The main indicator that this is the case is that your PH is dropping. If your plants are getting enough light, the CO2 should be absorbed and your PH should be stable.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›