1.0 out of 5 stars i never throw away a book, but..., April 14, 2010
This review is from: Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady (Paperback)
I think I may have to toss this one, because I can't imagine who I would want to read it.

By its description, I should love this book. I pre-ordered it at Amazon's suggestion because I do have a history of enjoying books that aim to tackle the problem of emulating the class and tact of our most beloved role models in the modern age.

Upon first attempt, I immediately realized that this book is not really targeted at my age bracket (mid 20s). There is nothing updated, new, or interesting about the conventional wisdom that a woman should leave a bit to the imagination when getting dressed in the morning, for example. Anyone who picked up such a book for herself is already in that camp. But the fact that this book doesn't apply to my age set doesn't mean it's a bad book, so I continued reading in the hopes that I would be inspired to pass it on to someone a bit younger.

Reading deeper into the book, I am disappointed to report that not only do I feel it provides nothing new for the 20-something reader, I actually don't even think it would be a step in the right direction for most teens. Blasberg calls on celebrity connections to validate his authority on the subject of class, a pretense that is odd at best, as true social graces need not be confined to (nor defined by) those with wealth and power. So much of this book is about Blasberg himself and how much celebrities love him that I'm really quite surprised that it all made its way past an editor. The me-fest gets old quite quickly, as the remarks are often either of-topic, or related but also mean-spirited and really quite the opposite of classy.

Ultimately, if you are looking for a book full of petty commentary about celebrities and advice on how to avoid being a gossip target for other petty people, this would be a good book to pick up. Alternately, if your teenage daughter is hopeless and won't read anything but US Weekly, this might be an acceptable gateway drug to proper socialization. But otherwise, I'm pretty sure this is not the book you're looking for. I know that was my experience.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 27, 2010 1:06:26 PM PDT
Alison Comey says:
This is a great review -- well written and thoughtful. I am much older than you and collect old etiquette books -- I recommend an Amy Vanderbilt or Emily Post book from the sixties or early seventies, when the mores are a bit more like they are today and respect for the rights and feelings of others is just beginning to get lost in society and is therefore the emphasis. Or read Judith Martin, Miss Manners. You're right; modern books like this have no useful advice to offer except to wear underwear. Duh.

Posted on May 13, 2010 10:12:20 PM PDT
Melody says:
love your honesty- thank you for this review :)

Posted on May 14, 2010 9:39:26 PM PDT
Dandelion says:
great review. I was hoping this book would be more than a nod to blasberg's social connections and actually have some merit; I guess not.

Posted on May 23, 2010 4:08:51 AM PDT
Mina Ennin says:
Great review M. McKee.
I found it refreshing. I know this is a bit uncoventional but I'm working on a project and based on your insightful review would appreciate your input. Please let me know the best way to contact you. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 14, 2010 5:19:32 PM PDT
I actually found this review rather untrue. Its just one point of view. I am in the same age group and found the book humorous ,very fun to read and relevent for all ages. I just dont want a person to not purchase this book based on this persons opinion. I would give it 5 stars!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 8:09:13 PM PDT
Garulous says:
Sydell,

What Would Jackie Do blows this book out of the water when it comes to books about class. If you give this book a 5 star, then I promise this book was probably for you. (wow, I think I just learned a witty insult from Classy!)

Posted on Oct 4, 2010 7:52:52 AM PDT
I think this reviewer sounds like a very thoughtful, mature and intelligent young woman. I can only hope that she is of the norm. I agree with her that this book might be geared for younger girls.... but certainly girls of at least college age. Anyway, as a MUCH older young lady I still enjoyed this book, I don't think it is quite as bad as she does, but chaun son gout!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›