4.0 out of 5 stars Toned & Tighter Muscles with Tracy Anderson 30 Day Method? Yes!, November 28, 2010
This review is from: Tracy Anderson's 30-Day Method: The Weight-Loss Kick-Start that Makes Perfection Possible (Hardcover)
I've been intrigued by the Tracy Anderson Method for a couple of years now, but hesitated to spend the money on her DVD's, as they are somewhat expensive. When I discovered the book, which includes both a dance cardio routine and mat work, I bought it immediately. I've always been very active, yet have given birth to three kids. In my mid-40's, I'm very fit, but have just never been able to get rid of that pregnancy "pooch". After having done 20 days of the 30 Day Method, the pooch is gone. I've done so many different kinds of exercise routines over the years, but nothing has given me the tight, knitted stomach that this does. I'm now definitely a believer of using cross-vector muscles to knit the larger ones tighter. However, I do want to make a few comments:

CONS:

1. This workout is LONG! Tracy describes the entire workout as lasting between 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. If you are continually increasing the repetitions during mat work as suggested, that alone can take up to 1 1/2 hours, bringing total time to 2 1/2 hrs. I found I had to split the mat work from the cardio just to get them both in, otherwise, I would have to start my day at 4:30 in the morning!

2. The food. Even though I live in the boonies, I've been able to find most of the ingredients listed in the diet portion of the book. However, the diet seems kind of bland and repetitious. I understand the concept of "eating clean," so instead of following the diet to a T, I've made several substitutions that worked to my tastes and time availability. Anyone with internet access should be able to find more user-friendly recipes that are similar to what Tracy has in the book.

3. As mentioned by previous reviewers, following the cardio portion on the dvd is difficult not only due to editing problems, but there is NO instruction given. After several days, I finally "got" the routine, but it was frustrating in the meantime. It would be helpful if Tracy were to have her back to the camera so it would be easier to follow along.

PROS:

1. As I stated before, this works! I've done all sorts of exercise over the past decade or so - P90X, Jillian Micheals, yoga, Pilates, marathons, triathlons, etc..., and I've never been able to get my stomach reasonably flat. While I still have some excess skin from my pregnancies, my stomach hasn't looked this tight and flat since my early 20's! I can see definitive toning improvements in my hips, glutes, and arms as well.

2. I found the dance to be fun, and once I mastered the routine, I found that I could just turn on my stereo, and dance around the house to my favorite tunes. I found a couple other Tracy Anderson dance routines that were free on YouTube, so I wasn't stuck doing the exact same thing for days on end. Learning this DVD routine helped me master the other ones a little quicker.

3. I like how the mat routine gets increasingly challenging, yet you have 10 days to master each set of exercises. By the end of each of the first two 10 day sets, I was very aware of how all my little and big muscles were being used. I literally felt like I was controlling the outcome of how tight my muscles have become by controlling my movements.

4. Considering the price of Tracy Anderson's Mat Work DVD, and her Dance Cardio DVD (each around $30), this book/dvd combo is a bargain. It's easy to read, and it helps to understand the philosophy behind doing what you're doing for 1 1/2+ hrs. each day. It's helpful to have each exercise broken down in the book as well as on the DVD. Plus, you get several healthy, nutritious recipes as well.

Bottom line:

I really didn't need to lose weight, just the "surface fat" that Tracy discusses in the book. Still, I've lost 4 lbs., and I've dropped almost two dress sizes in just 20 days from using this book. If you consider yourself fit already, but not tight and toned, The Tracy Anderson 30 Day Method, if followed properly, WILL get results.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2013 7:04:18 PM PST
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I have been on my computer for a couple of hours now reading a lot about Tracy Anderson and all of the dvd's, books, shakes and workout accessories that are available. I also read reviews from Gwenyth Paltrow, Courtney Cox and Emily Blunt, but reading your review I felt more assured that you don't have to be wealthy and have tons of time to achieve realistic goals. I'm 42 and have always been naturally long and lean (leaving me open to harsh criticism from most women I meet) but lately I've been feeling soft and weak. I don't need to lose weight per say, but just need to reshape some of my body parts. I feel much more confident that Tracy Anderson's methods may work for me now that I have read your review. Thank you again and be well. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 9:31:02 AM PST
Julie,

Thanks for you comment. I'm happy to know I helped you make a decision. I thought you might appreciate a follow-up, seeing as I wrote this a couple of years ago... I too, have always been naturally slim and fit, although, the older I got, the more work it seemed to require to maintain. I have continued to do the Tracy Anderson Method these few years, and really don't have to ever worry about not being comfortable in my clothes (or a 2 piece bathing suit!).

I eventually "caved" and bought Tracy's new Metamorphosis DVD set (but used through Ebay to save $) and have been very happy with the continued results: my belly is still flat and it's pretty defined. Although I don't know that I'll ever have a 6 pack, I'm not sure I'd want one. I do have that nice little "V" from my hipbones across my lower abs. My derriere is MUCH perkier than it probably ever was except when I was 16, and my arms are toned and free of flab. And I'm turning 50 in the next few months.

The workouts are still long, but I do the 1-ish hr. of mat work in the morning, and then, because of a knee injury, started doing 1/2 hr. of cardio on a trampoline before dinner. Dancing, for some reason, for me, is just more fun on a trampoline! So... it's still almost 2 hours worth of workout, but honestly, because I split the workouts, it seems doable. Tracy also recommends changing workouts every 10 days, but it seemed easier for me to switch to every 12 days. M - Sat. of the 1st week, I do the routine normally, and then the next M - Sat. I do the same routine, but with ankle/wrist weights for an added challenge.

If you find that TAM works for you after you finish the book, there are plenty of YouTube videos, FB links, magazine articles, etc... out there with Tracy exercises and workouts to try before you sink the $ into her Metamorphosis series. It might help you to know that in searching for those workouts, I've come across some other similar methods (Physique 57, Lotte Berke method, Barre method) that I've tried. And maybe it's just me, but I really do like TAM best. Tracy doesn't talk a great deal or "enthuse" or bark on her videos and I appreciate that, especially since I do them early in the morning. Also, each 12 days when it's time to do a new workout, while my muscles are slightly sore, I don't ever have the aches in my joints that I have had with the other methods. It just doesn't seem hard on my body the way the others were.

I've found too, that in doing these on a consistent basis, I can pretty much eat what I like! Maybe not a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's in one sitting like I used to in my 20's, but if I eat clean 80% of the time, the other 20% isn't a big deal.

I hope that it works for you; I really think it's changed by body like no other form of exercise ever has! Best to you!

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 7:42:35 AM PDT
Hi Christine-thank you for your comments above-while I don't need encouragement to buy the book or Metamorphosis (I already did) -I'm at that stage where I'm supposed to have started already but the days are passing me by and I keep thinking of excuses. Seeing your comment that you saw a change after just 20 days is a great motivator. 20 days right

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2013 7:56:28 AM PDT
(...not sure where the rest of my post went but here it is)-I'm thinking if I get starte today I should be in great shape by the time 20 days rolls around-that would be June 7; I can do that, right? Can you share what substitutions you made for the recipes or where you found them?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›