5.0 out of 5 stars A giggly romance novel for the digerati, December 30, 2011
This review is from: I've Got Your Number: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's a bag of Mallomars in your kitchen. Surely nobody will mind if you eat one cookie? Well, maybe two. Okay, another one won't hurt. And somehow... hey, how'd this bag get empty?

Not that this has ever happened to me.

Sophie Kinsella's latest novel makes me think of tasty cookies that are secretly satisfying even if nobody can claim this is "good for you." It's a light, funny, romance novel, nothing more -- but then WHO THE HECK SAYS YOU HAVE TO HAVE MORE? Enough with the serious stuff, already. I sat up until midnight reading this book, and you probably will too.

Our heroine, Poppy, begins with a crisis: She's lost her engagement ring. In the frantic search for the lost emerald ring, someone swipes Poppy's cell phone, so she *oh no oh no* cannot text anybody or call anyone. She discovers instead that someone threw a cell phone in the trash... and finders keepers, right? This is the setup for a fun romp that I am tempted to call "zany" (but in a nice way), involving the characters of her in-laws-to-be (who are so scary-smart that she is intimidated), her work-friends, and especially the stranger to whom the phone originally belonged. If you live the cell-phone texting lifestyle (or know someone who does) this will be even more entertaining.

Underneath the welcome silliness are characters who are actively *nice people*, too. I won't spoil any of the details for you, just say that Kinsella makes the implausible utterly believable and smile-worthy if not laugh-out-loud funny.

If you're ready for a box of cookies (but with fewer calories) and a welcome escapist story that'll make you smile, grab this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012 8:01:22 AM PST
M. Dadisman says:
How are you reading this book if it hasn't been released yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 8:49:43 AM PST
The publisher gives Amazon a limited number of Advanced Reading Copies (basically the book before it has had its last copy edit -- I usually find a few typos) which Amazon distributes through its Vine program. Vine is a set of top Amazon reviewers who are invited to choose up to four items per month for free; the only requirement is that we review three quarters of the items.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:57:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 10:01:24 AM PST
Esther - I was also able to read an ARC of this book. Your review was just great, dead on! Kinsella does tend to write similar female characters, but I really don't mind, b/c they are always so much fun. I always find myself laughing throughout her books while just flat out enjoying them, and this one was no different. I think it's easily now her best book of the non-Shopaholic books, and better than some of those too. The pace was so fast I couldn't put it down either, I also stayed up late to finish it. Without giving anything away I wanted to add that I thought the end was perfect! Quite an unusual wedding, lol.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 7:01:25 AM PST
Suze says:
I could use a book like this, right about now. (And I like your Mallomars analogy.) Looking forward to Valentine's Day so I can go pick up a copy. I really loved 'Twenties Girl,' and 'Remember Me' was a nice read. I loved the first two in the Shopaholic series when the Becky Bloomwood voice was fresh and original. Those two stories left a sweet impression on me at the time that they were released. I hope this one gives that same light but touching satisfaction.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 1:16:35 PM PST
How do you sign up for the vine program?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 11:07:04 AM PDT
Amazon invites people to join the Vine program. I've been a member since the beginning. I've no idea what their criteria are.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (963 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Esther Schindler
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: Scottsdale, AZ USA