2.0 out of 5 stars Well, it's a sun hat, but..., September 25, 2011
This review is from: Outdoor Research Radar Pocket Cap (Sports Apparel)
The XL fits my watermelon sized (61cm) noggin loosely enough to slip three fingers under the brim. That's rare and good. The sides are nice and deep, similar to the Korean war style fatigue caps and so it sinks down until it sits on right on my ears. I like that.

It's pretty light (56g). It's nicely made. Although it has "Outdoor OR Research" embroidered obnoxiously and non-removably on the left front side it's not nearly as offensive and hideous as the huge "OR" that Outdoor Research usually plasters it's hats with. There is another "Outdoor Research" label sewn to the outside rear of the hat; this is (and will be) easily removed. If OR is going to charge me to advertise for them they could have at least stitched this rear label in such a way as to make it useful for hanging a small strobe light or turkey feather.

The folding brim works well; the brim is reinforced with stiff, curved inserts of perhaps plastic but possibly cardboard. Fits folded in a hip pocket comfortably. There's a 10cm cord loop stitched to the inside rear crown. I don't really know why it's in that particular location as it seems an awkward spot from which to either hang or tie town the hat. The 4cm exterior band is double fabric and appropriately stiffened, perhaps with facing or scrim, to give body. This is good as the rest of the cap fabric is rather soft and shapeless. The 4cm interior band is a black,soft and absorbent thin fleece. The bands together are somewhat warm but they do move moisture well and keep sweat off the face.

Here's the problem. The body of the cap, both sides and crown, are made from a double layer of Supplex-like nylon. I have no doubt it blocks sunlight at the proclaimed (and embroidered) 30SPF rate. However, it doesn't breath well at all. I have waterproof jackets that huff-test with more air permeability. Now in my experience, and especially here in Florida, very often when it's sunny it's also HOT. And when it's sunny, and hot, and especially when it's humid, I find that air moving around my head is critical to being comfortable. I guess I'm funny like that. This cap fails miserably at letting hot air convect away from my head.

So in conclusion this is probably a good cap for a very narrow weather range. If it's cold and sunny or cloudy you'll want something that'll keep you warmer. If it's sunny and cool this is a good hat. If it's sunny and hot you risk heat exhaustion wearing this for anything other than sitting in the shade staring at your cellphone. If it's cloudy and hot you'll be miserable with this thing on.

I am seriously considering cutting some ventilation holes in the inside layer of fabric.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2012 8:06:38 PM PDT
CollegePhan says:
Sunday Afternoons Sun Tripper Cap Try this one. Easily the best sun/hot weather hats on the market.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 7:22:02 PM PDT
Thanks; I'll do that.

Posted on May 28, 2013 10:43:00 PM PDT
Oyaji says:
Brimstone - You need to check this out: Outdoor Research Men's Transit Radar Cap , Medium, Mushroom

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 10:51:37 PM PDT
Brimstone says:
Thanks. I tried those too...love'em and have three!

Posted on Sep 5, 2013 9:09:34 PM PDT
DB Cooper says:
I often wear one of these hiking in Arizona and have worn one all summer working outside in 90+ weather. Obviously I've not died of heat exhaustion. Great hat!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2013 10:35:35 PM PDT
Brimstone says:
Yeah I got malaria twice and obviously I'm not dead either. But I'd rather not get malaria again.

I'm sure it's a lot more comfortable cap in 90 degree Arizona heat than 90 degree Florida heat. I'm also sure a cotton hat would be much more comfortable in either place when it's that hot. Give that 'Transit' hat a try next summer and tell me what you think. Bet you'll like it more for those conditions.

I still wear the Radar Pocket cap, but only when it's somewhat cool out. In fact I just ordered another in a dark color for an upcoming 'shoulder season' trip to Europe.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (78 customer reviews)

$25.00 $16.17 - $26.95