1.0 out of 5 stars Great tool until battery problems started, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS-Enabled Sports Watch (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
When I first purchased my Forerunner 410 in November 2010, I thought it was the best thing ever. For the first three to four months, I was thrilled with it. Unfortunately, as my marathon training progressed I started to notice the watch doing some odd things. At first it would occasionally reboot for no apparent reason. Over the following weeks, the problem got worse and worse. As it did, the battery life also started becoming unstable. Sometimes the 410 would work OK, but the best case battery life dropped to 4-5 hours instead of the 8 I got out of it during those first months. In the worst cases, I would take the watch off the charger in the morning, shut it down until my run, and had a dead battery before I had gone one mile. The display that shows the battery life remaining is pretty much worthless now. And, it still suffers from reboots for no obvious reason - often at inopportune times, like during my marathon.

If you only do short to medium runs length runs, or are very fast, then the fact that the battery life seems to have problems might be acceptable for your situation. If you're planning on doing runs of several hours, won't be able to recharge it before every run, or won't find reboots during runs/races acceptable, then you might want to look for something other than the 410. When it works right, it really is a great tool for training. But, if you need a device you can count on, you might want to wait and see how the reviews look on the new Forerunner 610 or consider going with one of the older, cheaper, and more proven devices like the 305.

If you're still on the fence about purchasing a Forerunner 410 (or 405/405cx for that matter), I'd suggest you visit the Garmin forums (forums .garmin .com) and take a look at the posts by various owners who are having similar hardware/software related problems so you can make an informed decision.

Edited 5/1/11 - At this point my Forerunner 410 has become totally unreliable. I had taken it to Nashville to use during the Country Music Marathon yesterday. It had been fully charged and shutdown before I left. When I turned it on an hour or so before the race, it immediately said "low battery" and shut itself down. I charged it again when I got home. This morning it read 100% charged and I shut it down. This afternoon when I tried it use it, it again said "low battery" and shut itself down. I've again contacted Garmin about the problem. Maybe they'll replace it this time instead of just suggesting things like firmware updates and charge/discharge cycling.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2011 1:58:03 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 8:09:47 PM PDT
rfuente1 says:
Could you please elaborate on the technical service you received from Garmin? Did they consider replacing the unit or did they deny any responsibility?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2011 5:41:57 AM PDT
JustAGuy says:
It took a couple of contacts back and forth with them, but they did eventually replace my 410. Other than less than stellar battery life, the new one seems better than the original. Given that the more serious problems with the first one didn't start until after a few months of use, I still don't completely trust the new one.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 2:32:48 AM PDT
Runner says:
I don't know what's the situation with your Garmin as of Nov/1/2011 but I would recommend you should talk to Garmin. For all you know it maybe lemon. There is no harm in talkiing with them. All the best ... Your review was fantastic. Thank you so much

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 2:34:09 AM PDT
Runner says:
Sorry Just read that you spoke to company and they acknowledged a new one. Hope it does great work for you. All the best!!!

Posted on Nov 3, 2011 8:37:02 AM PDT
Ray Ellen says:
Is there a specific thread on the Garmin Forum that we should reference? I am searching the boards now and am not seeing much.

I'm glad they actually replaced yours. That helps some.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 1:22:07 AM PST
Brian says:
Can you not just get the battery replaced?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2012 7:13:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2012 7:19:25 PM PDT
D. Walsh says:
Yes, Garmin will replace the battery for $79 plus shippingn (if they have a supply in stock) . I've had battery problems with two Garmin Forerunner units now...the original and the 305...both died after about two years of service. As this thread said at the beginning...they are great when they work but battery life is an issue to be aware of.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 11:51:57 AM PDT
I've had my 410 for just under 3 months and for my last 2 runs, I've had the exact same problems you described. I'm about to get on the phone with Garmin now! Very frustrating!!

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 1:48:58 PM PDT
Hi, can you tell me how the new one they sent you is working?
Thanks!!