5.0 out of 5 stars looks clean, good handle, May 24, 2010
This review is from: Norpro Grip EZ Stainless Steel Compost Keeper (Kitchen)
I ordered this little bucket to keep food scraps in for vermicomposting. The lid is easy to pop on an off. I've had it for about a month, and the only thing odd about it is that the carbon filter is starting to grow some white mold on the inside. I probably need to just put it in the sun for a bit, but I am not really worried about this anyway. We pop our coffee grounds into it every day, so it gets a little steamy in there.

It works well, and it looks decent enough that my wife is happy to go along with me keeping it in the kitchen. I dump it out once a week, and I don't notice any smells coming from it. I would suggest following Bentley "the compost guy" Christie's advice of creating a false bottom our paper/cardboard to soak up any juices from your kitchen scraps. This cuts down on odors and adds "browns" to your bin, but more importantly, it makes the bucket easier to dump out.

If you are interested in worm composting, check out Bentley's web site on "red worm composting". Tons of free info from a friendly on knowledgeable guy. I bought my worms from him and I couldn't be happier with the worms and the personal touch via email follow-ups.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2010 5:12:01 PM PDT
oluwande says:
Hi...I just received my Compost keeper from Amazon today and am interested in your review about making a 'false-bottom'. I went to the Compost guy's website but couldn't find Christie's comment. Could you send the direct link...or how to get there?
Also...I admit I'm new to this...and live in a small condo with a very small patio...what if you don't have a larger compost bin to dump the Norpro Grip in? Can I just put it in the soil directly?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2012 7:32:52 PM PDT
S. Kinsey says:
wow, I am sorry that I missed your note. How are things going with the composting? the deal is to put a handful of shredded carboard in the bottom of the tub, under the food scraps.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (154 customer reviews)

$49.99 $29.20