4.0 out of 5 stars Solid points on an agenda-driven controversy, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Fat Head (DVD)
Some background on myself and my experiences before I review this: I'm 22, male, used to be overweight. I jumped from diet to diet misguided by my "research" that came from the USDA and other bureaucratic organizations promoting the agricultural commodities and vegan agenda. Finally, I am fit because I ultimately discovered the right dieting mix that emphasizes lots of protein (which comes with fat) along with fruits and vegetables. I try to avoid grains and starches, and I feel a ton better because of it. Bran, granola, and other "healthy low-fat" foods made me sick as a dog, overweight, and drained of energy. Despite careful deliberate dieting, I kept failing to my frustration because I was grossly misinformed.

It seems political correction has plagued our society on every level. Diets have become a subject overrun by PC advocates. "Animal fats are bad... why would you want to eat animals anyway?!?! McDonald's and other fast food organizations are bad... they make our children fat. Eat grains, soybeans, and bran. They're good for you and will help you lose weight!!!" Even if we don't believe such statements, it finds its way into our subconscious which is what the bureaucrats want. And when we follow these suggestions on a whole as society, we suddenly have epidemics of diabetes, obesity, depression, and other disorders. It's obvious the vegan-inspired pro-grain diet has failed and made things worse. The bureaucrats had to find a way to divert blame: direct hatred and blame towards fast food and continue to promote the pro-grain pro-vegan agenda. Fast food is by no means the healthiest food choice out there, but it cannot be held responsible for the obesity epidemic. It's a widespread misconception: fat=unhealthy, skinny= healthy. That cannot be farther from the truth. Thin people have heart problems if their diet sucks just like a fat person. Heart disease is not tied to obesity either.

There are far greater evils contributing to the obesity problem: sedentary lifestyles, grain/starch-based diets, misinformation provided to the public... blaming fast food for obesity is like blaming Canada for the Cold War. The relationship does not make so much sense when there are obvious culprits elsewhere that we are trained to overlook. This guy did after all lose a significant amount of weight eating at McDonald's... so while McDonald's may not be "healthy" it cannot be blamed for obesity. One must also consider that when he ate at McDonald's, he avoided carbohydrates and sugars (getting a hamburger with no bun, for example, and avoiding the fries). He aimed at ordering high fat/protein, low-carb options on the McDonald's menu. In other words, we only get fat at McDonald's when we support the agricultural commodity products that come from wheat and potatoes, which the USDA encourages us to consume heavily.

It's sickening that politicians will go to such extremes to misguide us and lead us off a cliff. In a hypocritical manner, they will blame corporations for being greedy at the expense of the public when in fact they are the ones trying to channel funds towards themselves and their cronies, while screwing the misguided public and feeding them myths.

This guy makes some very strong points. He can be strange at times... his humor can be a little corny. But it's impossible to ignore his analysis and arguments. I recommend viewing this because it may change your perspective on why we never win the obesity fight.

***UPDATE*** September 2011

I've been refining my diet a little bit and I want to share some new information. This past month I finally made a decision to completely remove ALL grains and refined sugar from my diet: no wheat, rice, bran, quinoa, sugar, etc. My only sources of carbs: blueberries, carrots, spinach, and broccoli... and some fruit here and there too. I also ate about three eggs each day cooked in butter each morning, and that keeps me from being hungry for five hours. For my 2pm lunch and 6pm dinner, I would eat a turkey burger wrapped in lettuce, spinach, tomato, and onions with some cheese. Some days I would have zucchini spaghetti with marinara and mozzarella. My caloric intake was surprisingly low despite my fat intake; about 1600 calories but I was never hungry.

My results were fantastic! Even though I ate no cereal, sugar, or "healthy" grain carbs, I had steady energy levels that did not bounce and crash. Critics say Atkins dieters crash a lot, but I think this is only because Atkins dieters forget to eat carbs in the form of blueberries, broccoli, carrots, and other low glycemic vegetables and fruits. I am doing a hardcore plyometric 2-month workout program called Insanity and I have more than enough energy to push through. I lost 8 pounds in just three and a half weeks. My body fat is dropping, and finally I am getting a noticeable six pack. I've been breaking all the politically correct rules of dieting, and it is paying off amazingly.

To summarize my advice, BE COMMITTED! You can't eat what you are supposed to eat WHILE eating what you're NOT supposed to eat. This diet is not an excuse to go all out and eat steak and eggs WHILE eating sugary crap. This takes work, and the "Fat Head" diet is not easy. I realized sugar and starches are like crack. They are addicting because they give short boosts of energy and when you crash, you want more. It takes a good week or two before the sugary Starbucks drinks or sodas look unappealing. I can't drink soda or sugary coffee anymore, it just doesn't taste good as it used to (black coffee is a great-tasting drink once you acquire the palette for it). When you get to that point, you will know you're eating right. You'll probably have to go cold turkey on the sugary crap. You're body will learn it does not like it.

You have to exercise in some form too. Our body is not designed to be sedentary for an entire day.

My last tip: Be sensible. Don't go crazy on the fat and use it as an excuse. Still monitor your calories and don't eat half a pound of cheddar cheese a day along with eight eggs. You might also find some foods are not for you. For example, soft cheeses make me gain weight. It's probably because the sodium makes me retain water, so I just don't eat it (there's little nutritional value in soft cheeses anyway). Butter, eggs, and almonds however, no problem! Buy a scale and measure your progress on a daily basis. Trends over just three days can give you early warning that what you are eating may not be working.

And finally, my disclaimer: This has worked for me, I don't know if this will work for everybody. I can't say one shoe size fits all, but if every other diet has failed you might want to give the "Fat Head" diet a chance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2011 7:10:58 AM PDT
Suz says:
"blaming fast food for obesity is like blaming Canada for the Cold War."

I enjoyed reading this review, agree with it, and absolutely LOVE that quote. Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2011 7:15:46 PM PDT
T. Nield says:
Glad I made someone's day : )

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 10:45:53 PM PDT
sally smith says:
I loved Fat Head - and I just watched Food Inc. wow - if you hate the lies of government and BS you gotta see Food Inc as well.
congrats on losing weight!!! that's great!
thanks, SS

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 6:53:02 AM PDT
Sean Thomas says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 11:49:37 PM PDT
T. Nield says:
I believe I said in my review he ate at McDonald's and strived to consume fat and protein there while downsizing his carb intake (eg ordering hamburgers without a bun). In other words, when he ate the "evil animal fat" and avoided the "good USDA-approved grains", he surprisingly lost weight. The conclusion: we should point our fingers not at McDonalds but rather the government organizations telling us to eat more carbs.

Posted on Sep 2, 2011 8:49:33 PM PDT
T. Nield says:
I updated my review guys btw, sharing how my diet has been going. Lost 8 pounds in three weeks!

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 9:51:16 AM PDT
Kendrik Lau says:
"This past month I finally made a decision to completely remove ALL grains and refined sugar from my diet: no wheat, rice, bran, quinoa, sugar, etc. My only sources of carbs: blueberries, carrots, spinach, and broccoli... and some fruit here and there too. I also ate about three eggs each day cooked in butter each morning, and that keeps me from being hungry for five hours. For my 2pm lunch and 6pm dinner, I would eat a turkey burger wrapped in lettuce, spinach, tomato, and onions with some cheese. Some days I would have zucchini spaghetti with marinara and mozzarella. My caloric intake was surprisingly low despite my fat intake; about 1600 calories but I was never hungry."

Don't blame fast food for obesity and yet here you are NOT consuming fast food.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2014 5:38:35 PM PDT
Craig Rich says:
Ken, that's consistent with FatHead. Lack of obesity doesn't = healthy. That's the point. Obesity is more than fast food or lack thereof.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (421 customer reviews)

$19.99