5.0 out of 5 stars How much more do you need?, June 1, 2012
This review is from: The Reality of ESP: A Physicist's Proof of Psychic Abilities (Paperback)
Does this book really "prove" the reality of ESP, as it claims in the subtitle?

It depends on your prior beliefs. If you started with the stance that you don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but you're curious about ESP and will let the data guide you, then yes, you are very likely to come away from this book (or any of the others written by Russell Targ) with confidence that ESP is indeed real. If you start from the position of a confirmed believer in ESP, then you will also enjoy this book because it will confirm what you already believe.

If, however, you hold a strong belief that ESP is impossible, then you probably wouldn't have picked up the book in the first place. But even if you did, and you actually read it, it wouldn't sway your belief much. It's not because the evidence doesn't exist, or that it isn't "good" enough, but because beliefs strongly modulate our perceptions and opinions. Fortunately, science is powerful enough to advance beyond personal beliefs, and the science underlying Targ's claim is substantial.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012 7:48:07 AM PDT
Don Salmon says:
This review is an excellent description of the attitudes of 3 groups - those who accept the evidence, those who are skeptical yet open-minded, and those debunkers (incorrectly labeled "skeptics") whose minds are made up (as in the individual who - perhaps somewhat tongue in cheek - remarked about psi phenomena, "I wouldn't believe it even if it were true".

I look forward to reading the book. (and look forward to reading Dean Radin's - hopefully - soon to be published book as well:>)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:00:06 AM PDT
Ali says:
The term is 'pseudoskepticism'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:31:04 PM PDT
Don Salmon says:
Ah, wonderful term - pseudoskepticism - I love it:>))

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 5:57:34 PM PDT
"Fortunately, science is powerful enough to advance beyond personal beliefs." Or, as Thomas Kuhn might put it, fortunately, those who cling to outmoded scientific beliefs eventually die.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:29:08 PM PST
I believe it was Max Planck who said, "Science advances funeral by funeral." I remember reading that in graduate school, and thinking, "How cynical." Now, I'm afraid that the evidence shows he's right.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:03:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 2:07:13 AM PST
Ali says:
So Dean Radin is either dead or relying on innate wisdom, unscientific or pseudoscientific?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 4:32:17 AM PST
Don Salmon says:
I don't imagine Dr. Planck was thinking of himself or Dr. Radin when he coined that phrase (which, I've heard, wasn't exactly what he said anyway).

I'm a bit more (foolishly) optimistic. I've met and corresponded with scientists who have quite radically modified their beliefs in response to evidence Dean Radin and others have presented. Even more important, as we see with Dr. Eben Alexander, seems to be personal experience.

I think a combination of both will be good for all but the most intransigent (perhaps it is them that Planck or whoever it was who said that - or something like that - was referring to?)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 10:52:04 AM PST
Pdecordoba says:
I once had a personal experience with such phenomena. I had a dream in which I saw, in exact detail, an event so inconsequential that I concluded that I must have the world's most vapid and clueless subconscious. The next day, the event happened just as I'd seen it in the dream. I could not have predicted the event, which had to do with two specific numerical errors that a science prof would correct in class. He made exactly the errors that I'd foreseen, and corrected them exactly as I'd foreseen. The perspective from which I saw the events in the dream was the perspective from the seat that I occupied in the classroom when the events unfolded.

It was my one and only "psychic" experience. Scientists of my acquaintance either laugh it off or go through contortions trying to explain it. Quite the convincing example for me, although of course no one else has any reason to believe it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 6:01:53 AM PST
J Doyle says:
It's time that the world of Scientism woke up to the reality and functional mystery of psi- but it's so hard to say "I don't know". One of the most difficult stances for any human to take.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2013 7:36:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2013 7:39:18 PM PDT
Nemesis says:
Fortunately or no, David Schauweker, so do those who don't!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (40 customer reviews)

$17.95 $14.45