2.0 out of 5 stars The second most uncomfortable socks I've ever owned!, December 31, 2012
This review is from: Tilley Unisex TA800 Dries Overnight Travel Socks (Apparel)
I own several Tilley products, including one of their famous hats, and I generally love the brand. And their customer service is excellent. However, these socks are an exception to their otherwise excellent reputation, in my mind.

I bought this pair of socks early on in my quest for the perfect travel sock. I came across one other pair that I hated more. I sent those back immediately after the first wearing. They felt like I was wearing a plastic bag.

These socks weren't *that* bad. I wore them about 4 times, then threw them away when I discovered merino wool socks.

It's not fair to say I hated the Tilley socks. Had I never discovered merino wool, I would have used these socks and never known any better. Why to avoid these socks:

1. They are not especially comfortable. They feel like synthetic socks.
2. They only come in three colors.
3. They don't smell bad when you take them off, but they *feel* kind of icky after a long day.
4. They are thin. That can be good or bad, depending on your use.

By comparison, merino wool socks are *very* comfortable, they come in any color or pattern you can imagine, they practically never smell bad, and they come in thin or thick varieties, and ankle, mid-calf, or any other style you might want.

Several brands make merino wool socks. I have tried two brands, and have been extremely happy with both. Just do a search and choose a color/size/style you like, and I'm sure you'll be much happier. And the price range is roughly the same.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 28, 2014 4:05:28 PM PDT
Do any of the merino wool socks dry as quickly as these Tilley socks?

Also, which two brands of merino wool socks did you try and like?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2014 4:13:52 PM PDT
Well, I didn't time-dry the Tilly socks, but the merino wool socks (and T-shirts and boxers) all dry extremely fast. They come out of the spin cycle nearly dry. In fact, I can put on a T-shirt straight out of the spin cycle, and it will dry on me in about 5 minutes. I wouldn't do that with socks, as they don't get any air circulation when they're being worn.

I've worn Smartwool and Darn Tough socks and have no complaints about either. The styles and colors are different, so just pick which suits your style/needs better.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2014 4:31:21 PM PDT
I like to travel very light. I want two pairs of quarter socks for travel that dry fast. I want to wash the socks by hand in the sink at night, wring them out, then have dry socks to wear in the morning.

The reviewers rave about how fast these Tilley socks dry and that they are good for this kind of travel. None of the reviewers for the Merino Wool socks talk about them being good for fast drying and light for travel, so it is hard to tell. I just ordered a pair of the TA804 because they are ankle socks, but there are quarter socks in the Darn Tough socks brand that I am interested in too. I just can't figure out if they would dry in less than 6 hours overnight while hanging in a hotel bathroom.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2014 4:17:26 AM PDT
I frequently wash my merino wool socks in the sink as well, and they always dry over night, even without properly "hanging" them (i.e. draped over a chair). Merino wool is used for base layers for skiing and other outdoor sports precisely because it dries so fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2014 6:21:14 AM PDT
Thank you for sharing that info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2014 9:24:26 PM PST
CC says:
Some of us are allergic to wool...so any of those socks are out. I have also been told by other customers that wool socks do NOT dry overnight.
We are not looking for fashion...we need good socks that will dry overnight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2014 11:37:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2014 11:39:06 AM PST
Allergies would certainly be a reason to avoid wool. I can only speak for my own experience as to my socks drying over night. When they are hung, I have never had my socks take more than a few hours to dry. If they are laying flat, they will take longer, but that's only to be expected. Perhaps other varieties, thicknesses, or configurations of wool would be slow drying. That's not at all my experience with Merino wool. About 75% of my wardrobe is merino (not just socks), and it all dries very quickly.

I don't buy my socks with fashion as a primary consideration, either. But when when the best material available is also available in a variety of colors, it's an added bonus for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›