3.0 out of 5 stars A nifty little notebook., September 16, 2008
This review is from: Moleskine Classic Notebook, Pocket, Ruled, Black, Hard Cover (3.5 x 5.5) (Diary)
Don't let the name fool you: this is the pocket-sized Moleskine, which is about 5.5 by 3.5 inches. If you're looking for something bigger, the "large" Moleskine, at approximately 8 by 5 inches, might be the one you want. (Updated 09/29/09: The item title now has the word "pocket" in it, so I'm thinking/hoping that the misunderstandings are pretty much over with.)

I currently own three of these pocket notebooks, having gotten my first one back in early 2005. Now don't get me wrong -- I adore Moleskines, but there are some things you should be aware of. The paper, for one, isn't that thick. I love it and I love the texture (and the color), but be warned that it might not take very well to certain pens, especially ones that have more liquidy ink, such as fountain pens.

The binding on two of mine have also become loose, with moderate use over a decent period of time. I usually write in pencil, so the bleeding through the paper is not an issue for me. This Moleskine would certainly get a 5/5 from me if the binding could just hold up. Instead, the threads are loose, and my pages are coming out. Maybe I got some defective ones -- I don't know. But I bought them separately and at different times. I can't tell you much more than that, so you decide for yourself.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2008 7:53:13 PM PST
Brian says:
I usually keep my moleskine in my front/back pocket, and the binding on mine got worn out as well after about 6 months and the back pages began to fall out. This was very unfortunate, however I still love these little guys - especially with the built in elastic band to keep them closed.

Posted on Jul 30, 2009 5:01:35 PM PDT
ReaderDiva says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2009 4:13:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2009 4:17:04 PM PDT
Jaylin says:
@A.D. Dixon: At the time the review was written, the pocket Moleskines were not labeled as such. People did not look at the dimensions of the item before buying it, and many of them simply assumed that it was the larger version -- but it wasn't, and they were upset. That's all. For what it's worth, I've updated the review to reflect the changes.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 9:32:28 AM PDT
They also make a "mini" that is even smaller than "pocket". I find that the mini is perfect for my needs as an RN. Cheap little notebooks get absolutely trashed and torn apart because my job is like a daily athletic event. Moleskin and writer's block ended up being my favorites. The government military makes a similar memoranda notebook that I got used to using as my "PDA" in the military and these are close to the same specs. Durable and properly-sized.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 6:44:46 PM PST
keithsharris says:
As of Dec 2011, the size listed in product description is still 4.8" x 8.7", but the notebook is 3 ½" x 5 ½" just as before. I know this because it arrived today, it is that small size, and I checked the ISBN to make sure it's as shown on the product page.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 6:28:54 AM PDT
J. Ellyne says:
Bah! I' m not the most careful dainty person and my Moleskine binding holds up great carrying it in my FRONT pocket and wring in it every day, sometimes several times. This reviewer must be keeping it in his BACK pocket or otherwise abusing it beyond the intended purposes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›