Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A very preliminary review - seems great so far, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Fitbit One Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker, Black (Sports)
I've had the Fitbit One for one day so obviously this is not going to be a thorough review but since there aren't any other reviews I thought I'd post something.

First of all, even though the release dates have been set back and back on Amazon and the Fitbit site, the Fitbit One is currently available at Best Buy in stores and on their website. That's where I got mine. I'm reviewing it here because I WOULD have bought it here if it were available. It's very odd that it's available there and not on Fitbit's own site for people who've made pre-orders.

My first impressions (it's my first Fitbit in general): it's tiny. The clip is solid. You have to take it out of the clip setup to charge it. It charges through a USB cable into your computer but not into the wall unless you get an adapter. Oddly enough, the startup instructions included in the package say to charge it for five minutes before powering on. Online it says to charge for two hours before turning it on. It took mine two hours, so don't panic if you think it's supposed to work after five minutes and it doesn't.

One thing I misunderstood before buying it: it says "wireless" but includes a bluetooth dongle you have to keep plugged into your computer in order to sync it. I was hoping to use it on multiple computers but the only way to do that is to plug that little dongle into each computer when I want to sync. For someone who is only using one computer it's no big deal, plus the Fitbit site itself works anywhere, just not the syncing without the dongle plugged in. I'd love to order another dongle or two but can't figure out how - if anyone knows, let me know in the comments :) There's no way I'm carrying that tiny dongle around between computers without a way to replace it if I lose it.

I love, love, love the Fitbit dashboard. Super easy to set up, very intuitive, about 100 times more user-friendly than the Motoactv portal if you've ever seen that. The food is very easy to track and the food tracking interface is better than WW online - it recognized more foods off the bat and provided info for them than WW usually does for me when I've used it.

I like it because it brings together your food, exercise, general activity, water, etc., all into one place. That's all on the dashboard on the Fitbit site and has to be done through your computer or the mobile app, not the Fitbit itself.

There are basically 8 things the Fitbit device does itself. It shows you: steps taken today; distance traveled today; floors today; the time; calories burned today; and a flower. It can track your sleep patterns - it includes this big cloth wristband that's very soft to wear - and can vibrate on your arm to wake you up (I haven't tried that yet).

I kept it in my pocket all day and it didn't bother me at all. It's roughly the size of one AA battery, maybe a tiny bit bigger in its clip.

--UPDATE--I've had this for a week and a half and have a few things to add as promised. I have not had any problems at all with the clip as some have had. I wear the fitbit either in the coin pocket in my pants or just clipped on my waistband and it's never come out.

I have found that it tends to OVERCOUNT steps a little. I have a Motoactv with a pedometer and wore them together all week to compare and I also did some manual tests where I just walked counting steps to see what my pedometers said, and the Fitbit overcounted by about 10% in my tests. It also counts steps when I'm driving and, maddeningly, when I'm sleeping. I don't understand why it would be able to count steps when it's in sleep tracking mode with the timer, and I can't seem to override it on my account, so when I wake up from sleep tracking I've already got steps in my account when I sync it. It's not a dealbreaker but I wish it would allow me to override or delete steps. I like the silent alarm and the wristband, though.

Finally, this fitbit records stairs climbed when I'm driving, exactly 2 floors each way on my commute to and from work, every day, because there's an altitude change. So I will probably just turn that feature off.

Overall I still really like it and would buy it again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 7:58:29 PM PDT
C. Allen says:
That is very strange about the Bluetooth dongle. Why should i have to use a dongle when my computer has bluetooth built in?

Why does everyone want to steal my usb ports? Stop stealing my usb ports!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:21:35 PM PDT
Lifehack G says:
You know, that is a good question. I haven't thought of just not using the dongle and using my regular Bluetooth - it sounded like it had to be this specific dongle from the instructions but maybe not.

So I just tried to find it without the dongle and couldn't - I don't know how to make it discoverable. If anyone else figures out how to do this that would be great!

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:03:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 7:06:08 AM PDT
sharlatan says:
You need to use the dongle because the device utilizes Bluetooth low energy (BLE), which is a feature of Bluetooth 4.0.
I believe that is the reason why the Fitbit One works with the iPhone 4S but not the iPhone 4, as the latter only has Bluetooth 2.1.
Thus, I am guessing you would not need the dongle if your computer is already equipped with Bluetooth 4.0.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/17/tech/innovation/fitbit-one-ars-technica/index.html

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:31:41 AM PDT
K. McKay says:
I have an iPhone 5, and the phone will synch with the FitBit. Just make sure your bluetooth setting is turned on. Anytime I open the app, it starts syncing with the fitbit.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:27:05 AM PDT
La Prieto says:
Thanks for the tip about the availability on Best Buy. I pre-ordered my One, and I have still been waiting...with no end in sight. I cancelled my order with Amazon this morning and ordered through Best Buy. I ended up paying tax, but that is a small price to pay given that I have no clue how much longer I might have had to wait for something I ordered weeks in advance of the release date. What a major CF.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:13:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 8:29:09 AM PDT
PatrickSG says:
I did the similar, but, instead of online order I rushed to the nearest Best Buy with the stock and picked one.
But, last night I was informed that I will receive my Amazon order by 7th Nov...Bummer!!

Regarding bluetooth, it is not discoverable with version 4.0 on my mac. seems the driver doesn't work without the dongle, so it complains (real bummer). I just used the dongle for initial setup, and then I am using the phone for sync, keeping the USB port free!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:12:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:13:08 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:13:44 PM PDT
J. Cheung says:
There's also a 20% off coupon that you can use towards the Fitbit One at Best Buy. Thanks to the original reviewer above, I rushed there with the coupon and got it in store for $86 or so including California sales tax. The 20% off coupon can be found on retailmenot.com and it can be used on fitness devices. This one counts!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:14:17 PM PDT
J. Cheung says:
Thanks for the heads up about this being in Best Buy. I ran out to get it tonight and had a coupon for it as well. 20% off! I was about to wait until December and had no idea it was already available.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:28:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:29:32 PM PDT
Lifehack G says:
I wish I had a phone that could solve the dongle issue. I just have a droid, though, and you can't sync the fitbit with a Droid...yet...hopefully one day!

Good tip about the BB coupon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›