5.0 out of 5 stars Projects I can actually DO!, March 9, 2011
This review is from: Garden Up! Smart Vertical Gardening for Small and Large Spaces (Paperback)
Disclaimer: I know the authors and I work for the publisher. But I had nothing to do with the creation of the book, and only saw it when it arrived on my doorstep.

I'm a gardening fanatic, but I'm bad at planning and even worse at projects and building. I've been working on my garden for three years now, trying to give it more shape and structure. While reading lots of fancy new books and magazines, I've fallen in love with the "gardening up" concept, but didn't know how to work it into my yard. I have a traditional red brick ranch--not exactly modern. (I know it was considered modern in the 1970s, but we've moved on.) How could I integrate these fabulous finishing touches of contemporary garden design? How could I garden up without gardening in PVC pipes (not really my aesthetic)?

What's great about this book is that there are projects and photographs for every gardening style. If you tend toward traditional (like me), there are lots of projects for you to try. You can garden with the trendsetters without being overly "trendy."

If you're lucky enough to have a house or yard that goes well with "modern," there are lots of projects for you, too.

Layout: One of my complaints about garden books is that I find it incredibly difficult to actually figure out and implement the projects. Projects are crammed in with lots of gorgeous pictures and a bunch of words. While this book has lots of great description and wonderful photos, it is also nicely laid out. Here's the chapter breakdown:

Arbors and Trellises
Skinny Spaces
Garden Secrets
Urban Gardens
Edibles
Living Walls
Plant Picks
Design Spotlights

My favorite part of each chapter is the "Design spotlight" section. They show a photograph illustrating a technique they've outlined, and put little callouts and arrows pointing to each important part. That makes it easy to replicate or take inspiration from the project.

The "Do it Yourself" project outline for projects and techniques is also helpful. There are photographs for different steps in the process, a materials list, and tips.

Overall, I think this is a fun new book that will introduce a lot of gardeners to techniques that they previously thought were completely beyond their skill level.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]