3.0 out of 5 stars Swedish Slasher that Scares but Doesn't Explain, July 2, 2013
This review is from: Blood Runs Cold (DVD)
I've seen many foreign horror films over the years, but I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a Swedish slasher flick before. I didn't even realize this film was foreign until I started watching it and heard the actors speaking English with thick accents. But do the Swedish know how to make a good slasher flick? Well yes...and no. BLOOD RUNS COLD is an effective and chilling horror film, but it does have a couple of issues.

Before I start this review, I feel I should preface it by stating this one will contain spoilers. I don't normally reveal a lot of specifics in my reviews, and I do this on purpose; after all, why should you watch something I recommend if I've already disclosed everything to you? But there are a couple of big aspects in this one that bugged me, so I'm going to point them out and see if anyone feels the same.

BLOOD RUNS COLD is shot very well for the most part and looks great overall. There are a few shaky camera angles when the intensity kicks up, but nothing that really detracts too much from the film overall. Also, the special effects and gore are excellent; there are some truly cringe-inducing scenes that get a nice boost from some top notch carnage.

The story is impressive as well. The concept that someone goes to the wrong house by mistake and pays for it in a horrific way is not new, but the production team does a great job of scaring us with it regardless. I particularly like the killer; he looks creepy and would do Jason Vorhees justice in the `invincible slasher' department.

But BLOOD RUNS COLD has two major flaws that pulled me out of the film. First, the acting is...weird. The cast looks like they have a lot of potential, but their lines come off as bland and non-effective. I think this might be in part because they are speaking English, which doesn't appear to be their primary language.

Secondly, there are NO explanations given for who the killer is or why he's a cannibal or even why he cannot die. Nor are we told the reasons for his silver-colored eyes (you have to see them), or why he has a hidden ice-cave under his house. If you want to be technical, we are never really told why he's attacking these people in the first place; it is assumed because they are trespassing in his house...but it's never really stated.

These issues are strictly my opinions and you might feel they can be overlooked. I was able to look past them and enjoy the film, however I know that some of my devoted horror aficionados will be annoyed with them.

As for a recommendation, BLOOD RUNS COLD is going on my Make Your Own Mind Up list. This means that I enjoyed it and I recommend it, but I'm not sure if non-diehard horror fans will like it or not. The film is available today in a variety of formats.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]