5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, someone who doesn't see Satan in my son's eyes!, June 11, 2001
This review is from: You Can't Make Me (But I Can Be Persuaded): Strategies for Bringing Out the Best in Your Strong-Willed Child (Hardcover)
For a long time I thought that I must be doing something wrong in my parenting style to make my child so disobedient and mean. This book helped me realize that I was right. My style of parenting worked wonderfully for my older son, but trying those same harsh, disciplinary actions with my three year old, strong-willed son, have been disasterous. This book did a fantastic job of helping me realize that my child is unique and my ways of dealing with him must adjust to fit his needs. Especially helpful was the chapter on "the line between right and wrong". I could not see, until reading this book, that it is not a sin to be strong-willed, or determined, or even stubborn. God has created us each in a specific way with certain desires for us to searve him individually. God made my strong-willed child that way for a purpose. My job in parenting is to help my son find that purpose through love and understanding. This book was wonderful, and I would recommend it to anyone who needs good Christian advice on raising a strong-willed child. The elderly ladies at my church, one in particular, often comment on how they can see the evil in my son's eyes. I find this incredibly sad, for where they see evil, I see a determination to not walk the straight line, and a potential to change the world.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2007 8:48:54 PM PST
Chris says:
Thankyou for openly sharing that. Coming from a similar experience, I appreciate your candor, and I hope you will recommend the book to many other parents in need!

Posted on Feb 1, 2008 3:01:01 PM PST
ML2015 says:

Posted on Oct 2, 2009 6:46:16 PM PDT
stampertina says:
What those ladies say about your son is terrible and that only shows ignorance on their part. I get pretty frustrated with that kind of thing! Good for you, though, for moving forward and working to make your son know he "fits" in this world!

Posted on Oct 18, 2009 7:13:26 PM PDT
James T. Lea says:
reminds me of Paul's strong will! Can't wait to see how your precious little boy uses it to the Glory of the LORD! I'm so glad you've recognized his strength!

Posted on May 20, 2011 10:28:11 AM PDT
Let's not forget that the Pharisees and Saducees probably saw "evil" in the eyes of Jesus as well. We are to come as little children if we are to inherit the Kingdom of God, those ladies had no right to say such a thing about your child, regardless of how he behaves! Shame on them for not showing true Christian love to you and your son!

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 6:23:11 AM PDT
Thank you so much for posting your comments. I too had a very strong-willed child, but she was my first-born and I had no one at the time to compare her behavior to. Unfortunately, I preached to her constantly, lectured to her and as a result, I created, yes I created a very insecure, girl with a huge lack of confidence in her abilities. I am definitely purchasing this book and even at this age I am going to try another approach. All these years my old approach hasn't worked. Maybe this book can help me change our relationship to a positive one. I have hope it will. I love her more than life, but we just can't get along because I still did not understand how to deal with such a strong-willed child/adult. It still goes on. Thanks again.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:33:54 PM PST
missmaddie says:
I would take what the elder ladies in your church say with a grain of salt. I can't imagine how hurtful that must have felt. I suggest you find a healthier place to worship away from the busybodies.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›