5.0 out of 5 stars Has anybody seen my socks???, July 30, 2011
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book knocked my socks off!

"The circus arrives without warning ... The towering tents are striped in black and white ... No color at all ... the black sign painted in white letters ... reads: Opens at night fall / Closes at dawn. 'What kind of circus is only open at night?' people ask...

Le Cirque des Reves

...The Circus of Dreams."

This is hands down the best book I've read in years. I want to use all the cliché reviewer terms like "astounding debut" and "richly imagined" and perhaps even - heaven forbid - "tour de force"!

Some people will call this book magical realism. I will not. For me, it's flat out magical.

There is a lot of descriptive detail in this book, but none if it is superfluous. The circus Morgenstern has created is astonishing, and she conjures it beautifully with her words. There are no other books I would compare this to, but if I had to pick a mood to compare, it would be to Murakami. The sense you get while reading is so encompassing I felt jolted when I'd look away from the text and find that I was in my home.

Katherine Dunn said it perfectly, this book has a "leisurely but persistent suspense." I wanted to savor every word, but couldn't wait to get to the end.

Even though it is couched in the context of magic, this book contains one of the best descriptions of physical (romantic) chemistry I've ever read. What is chemistry if not magic?

I wish I could emphatically state that this book is for everybody, but it isn't. I think of readers I know well ... My step-father will love it, my mother might, my father won't. Then again, this book is so surprising, I could be completely wrong.

For me, it was flawless.

Bon Reves.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2011 5:51:52 AM PDT
Very nice review, Nicole, and I love your title! You've got my helpful click! I reveled in this book too. As I say in my review, the more I think about this book, the more I pull from it! It's a magical treasure box indeed.

I've been reading some of your other reviews and you've got the knack. Keep on reviewing and Bon Reves always!
Evie

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:58:11 PM PDT
shiraz says:
After reading Nicole Del Sesto's review..........I can't wait to read The Night Circus myself. It sounds like a super, terrific read.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 7:24:56 AM PDT
Victoria says:
EXCELLENT review!

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 7:25:08 AM PST
Kokopelli says:
Without rehashing the plot or saying too much, you've written a tantalizing review. Short and sweet... and irresistable! Thank you!

I will definitely be checking out your other reviews.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 5:19:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 5:21:18 PM PST
D. Barrett says:

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 12:28:12 PM PST
I loved your review and i just finished the book. It was magical and I felt like I was there. I also agree some people like my husband would not be as fasinated as I was.
For me , I also thought it was flawless.

Judy Henning

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:29:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 8, 2012 9:29:54 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:30:38 PM PST
HippolytaTS says:
D. Barrett: Since you went out of your way to use all your pompous words so you sound pseudo-erudite, you might learn the proper use of the apostrophe.
"who's world"
"people's are"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 6:43:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 6:56:25 PM PST
Henry Le Nav says:
D. Barrett, so you don't like the book, we get it. Go write your own review and allow those of us who do enjoy the book to revel with our heads in the sand lost in the sweet happy banalities of this sentimentigram. Ahhhh the sweet fragrance of estrogenic steampunk fluff reminds me of the caramel popcorn in the book.

It is just a book, not a life philosophy.

Nicole, excellent review, estrogenic perhaps but I am comfortable enough with my manhood to enjoy it.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 5:07:14 AM PDT
Justin says:
I could not agree with you more! I loved every bit of this book and I was sad that it had to end. I can honestly that I have never read anything like it. Excellent review, Nicole! I absolutely love reading your reviews and I've discovered so many books that I'm excited about reading based on your recommendations. Thanks for always taking the time to share your thoughts!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (3,561 customer reviews)
 (2,079)