Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected from Frigidaire (but don't expect much), June 7, 2007
This review is from: Frigidaire FAA055P7A Compact Small-Room Air Conditioner with Remote Control (Kitchen)
Frigidaire is not traditionally the best brand of ACs, to put it mildly, and I personally have horror- stories to tell about two(!) $600 Frigidaire ACs. But, I needed a small window unit, my local stores didn't carry any nice brands, and Amazon didn't ship anything else at the time either. So, I read some good reviews and bought it anyway.

The machine is "ok". It cools my small bedroom well, and it uses not too much power doing so. To be specific, it uses about 430 Watts when the compressor is on, and 50 Watts on fan-only (measured myself). My 10000BTU AC uses almost 3 times the current at only twice the cooling power, so this is definitely an efficient machine, which will be as easy on your power bill as possible at this time.

I do find it fairly loud. I realize that is a subjective statement, but I'm sure that the Panasonic and LG brands in my old apartment were quieter. I also wish it had one lower fan setting, to perhaps further make it bedroom- compatible. The Med and Hi settings are definitely unbearable at night! One thing that I found was the noise to drop audibly when I put some material in front of the intake grille to block direct noise (not right on the grille of course, leaving a few inches so it can suck in air).

This unit doesn't have an inside/outside switch, and the "8way louvres" are absolutely and completely useless - a very cheap substitution for real air directors. The remote is clunky, but it has the same intuitive 4-way switch (left/right=fan, up/down=temp) as the actual unit, so you can use it in the dark. I find that a big plus, especially for bedroom operation.

Update: after a few months of use, my unit broke down. Bad for me, good for you, because now I can report to you how the warranty works :)
You locate a local service center and give them a call. Then you need to be home for 1/2 day while repairmen come by and inspect the machine. Mine had an air leak which they deemed "not repairable". Of course this 3rd party repair company wouldn't take the unit back. I had to make multiple phone calls and send emails to Frigidaire and Amazon, while they figured out what to do with the thing. At the end, Amazon complied - and had UPS pick up the defective unit (they insisted they needed it, now matter how broken). I didn't pay any return shipping, but they did not refund the entire purchase price. I think Amazon was fair in all this, but I had to engage too many people and use too much of my time for this machine.

BOTTOM LINE: THREE STARS. If you're desperate and/or on a budget, get this. Otherwise, buy something else (not a Frigidaire, look for the Texan-made Friedrichs or Panasonics).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2009 11:34:48 PM PDT
kandoro says:
Actually Frigidaire has been known for decades as producing some of the best and most reliable compressors...Along with them the appliances they are installed in...Sounds like you had an unusual string of bad luck...

I find the 8 way louvres quite innovative actually...Plus they are divided where many are not...I'm still trying the figure out what a "real air director" is...

This unit is no louder than any other unit of this size and price range...I just love it when people who obviously haven't used window AC's that much complain about the noise...It compresses freon and blows air...It's gonna makes noise...Usually the units that are considered quiter move less air to achieve this...And thus are less efficient...It's all subjective for sure...

kd

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2009 4:58:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2009 8:42:25 AM PDT
Strohmian says:
Dear Kandoro, in the interest of setting the record straight, I'll bite and elaborate:

I have purchased two Thru-Wall ACs from Frigidaire in the last 4 years. Both were about $600, and both were DOA. With the first, I went through hoops. The brick store vendor (who had assured me there'd be superb assistance from himself and the maker) didn't want to hear about it, Frigidaire deflected me to a shady Queens company whose contractors came by THREE times, each times writing service bills over hundreds (covered by warranty, but clearly a sham nonetheless), and eventually not fixing the problem. I tried to reason with Frigidaire, I used a lawyer (free from Amex, and not much good I admit, her final advise being I go down to small claims court myself), I involved the BBB, to no avail. When the second AC also didn't work, I didn't go through the same process (you know: first time shame on you, second time shame on me). Funny enough, I still get extended maintenance offers for all three ACs.

Long story short: with three out of three broken ACs, I don't trust Frigidaire's quality. Furthermore, I KNOW their service is non-existent, and in addition to that, they don't have proper records, what with offering me extended service. So, it turns out that a decades-old record isn't worth much these days when everybody manufactures in China anyway, with notable exceptions (namely, Friedrich's Texan- made series)

As for the 8way louvres. It's a cute, cost-cutting idea to put in a wheel to turn instead of up/down and left/right directors.. only, it doesn't work. Have you tried it? I have, I cannot make out any difference in air flow when turning the wheel. As for terminology, by "real air directors", I mean some that actually work.

There is no doubt that this unit is on the noisy side. You are right, this may be due to the high EER, for which I give it credit, but it's a a significant drawback and needs to be mentioned, efficient or not. Also, the compressor comes on with a bang and rattle.

Thanks for letting me speak up :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2009 10:44:10 AM PDT
GaryPen says:
RC - You don't have to defend your review. While Frigidaire has had a great reputation in the past for innovation and quality, especially in the realm of air-conditioning and refrigeration, they currently have a reputation of poor quality and reliability across their entire product lines. (The same goes for all of their sister brands, such as Electrolux, White-Westinghouse, Gibson, etc. The current Frigidaire is not like the company that GM owned.)

That being said, I will probably buy this model for my son who is living up in the heat-beaten Pacific Northwest. He will be glad just to get the cool air, I'm sure. And, I will be glad not to have to spend a lot of money. If he gets three years from it, it will be worth the buck and a half spent. (However, I will need to cross my fingers for that kind of modest longevity, based on my experiences with other recent-vintage Electrolux-Frigidaire products.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2010 4:52:44 PM PDT
J. Pawlowski says:
I too found these same 8 way louvers on their other models to be almost useless. They only change the direction of the air flow a little bit. The air still mostly is directed forward. The louvers will only change the flow only slightly off center from forward. So unless you have it in a window in the center of the room, the air flow can't be directed to where it's needed.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 4:37:10 PM PDT
White Rabbit says:
I bought one in 2011, and it's been a perfectly good A/c unit so far. BUT I don't use it very often or for prolonged periods. The so-called "8-way louvres" are worthless. I wish they had put some mechanism that might actually change the air direction a little bit, akin to what is in the dash of any automobile produced in the last half-century.

The electronic thermostat is awesome if you're used to simple one-temp dial controls, as I was. And the point the reviewer made about being able to change the air temp and fan speed in the dark on the remote is true. The remote is actually one of the best I've seen for a window unit.

I think sound is just so subjective that it's impossible to judge unless each manufacturer lists the decibel levels of each fan speed. I think this unit is pretty quiet on low or medium speeds.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›