4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perferct!, July 19, 2012
This review is from: ASUS TF700T-B1-GR 10.1-Inch Tablet (Gray) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
This device is very slick in both style and design. I would compare it to the elegance of the Ipad. The device is also very light, and I have no problems holding it hours on end. Even while reading e-books and supporting it on my chest its lighter then a real book. Watching 1080p videos on this is incredible and the built-in speaker sounds pretty good too.

We also have a Plex Media server in our house. I installed the Plex Android Client on the tablet and tried streaming both 720 and 1080 content. The streaming performance was outstanding. Not one glitch even when moving from floor to floor. The other cool thing is you can do is output the tablets video through the micro-hdmi connector to your TV. Wow. We have a a TV in our basement that's not connected to cable so I decided to try it. It was just like having a blu-ray player on the TV! I also tried Netflix, Hulu and Crackle. Both performed without any issues. I can't wait to travel for work with this thing! No more boring nights in the hotel room.

I'm not a big gamer, but if you go into the TegraZone app download a game called "Dead Trigger". You won't believe the graphics.

When I bought this I knew it didn't have cellular conductivity, but that didn't bother me since I always carry my Android phone. What you need to do if you don't have WiFi, but have a phone with data is install a tethering app on your phone. This allows your phone to function as a WiFi access point to which your tablet can connect to. I use this on my quite a bit with my laptop. The tablet works the same.

I recently got the keyboard dock and this really extends the functionality of the device. For one if your typing quite a bit the keyboard vs the screen is much more productive. Two, the dock also has another battery which extends the battery life to 14.5. It also contains an SD card slot and a USB port. I bought the TF201 dock which is used on the older "Prime" unit, but it does work on the "Infinity". This will save you $50 if you want the dock. Use Goggle there blowing out the old docks for $99 bucks.

Updates
-------
Asus recently announced that Jelly Bean is coming for this device in the next few months! :)!
The latest firmware update from 7-28-12 fixed the slow usb transfer speeds. ver: 9.4.5.26

Pros:
Super fast performance.
Love the IPS screen mode when using the tablet outside.
Touch is very accurate.
Screen size is perfect for reading a full size html website and ebooks.
Outstanding Video performance.
Front and rear cameras. Quality seems pretty good, but not as good as standalone camera.
GPS performance is great, even inside my house. I use the CoPilot app.
Side button placement does not interfere with your hand placement irregardless of the tablets orientation. The buttons also take a good amount of pressure to engage, thus when its sitting on something (like your lap) the button wont accidentally get pressed.
WiFi conductivity is excellent. No problems connecting and maintaining connections. Signal strength is great.

Cons:
No 5Ghz wireless N support. Only 2.4 Ghz is supported.
Not running the latest Android OS (Jelly Bean).
Internal speaker is on the back of unit. Sound is muffled if its laying down on a table.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2012 7:36:10 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 7:59:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 8:00:02 AM PDT
NiteLine says:
I hope your kidding me??? The tablet does have USB... That's how its charged. However, you need to use the 40-pin connector cable to usb for charging and computer conductivity for tethered usb data. What you would need to do is convert the full size male USB end to a micro-usb connector. I'm sure Amazon has an adapter. This will then work with your phone without the dock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 8:06:09 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 8:33:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 11:10:42 AM PDT
NiteLine says:
First off, you say the device is lame cause it doesn't have a micro-usb connector. Two, you complain that your phone doesn't have an "Easy" root method, and then you complain about a "Cord Train". The only other option you have is bluetooth tethering. Bottom line is if you want everything "easy" then learn to pay for it. Most telcos charge $10 to $15 a month for Hot Spot tethering. My review clearly states that I'm tethering my phone through WiFi.

Charge the your phone through the tablet?? huh? The amperage would be so low it wouldn't even pay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 8:42:19 AM PDT
I never said the device was lame, I said the lack of a USB port was VERY LAME. That was one of the original beef's against the ipad, that it didnt even a have a simple USB port on it. Most other android tablets come with a USB port. This tablet is still in my high consideration list, but maybe I should wait until a "total package" comes out.

Some people take reviews so damned personal. I wasn't critiquing your review, i was adding to your comment about using your cellphone for internet connectivity. I was simply critiquing the tablet. Other buyers who might plan on using their phone for USB tethering might find my comment helpful because it is confusing when you read the reviews/specs on the tablet and it says it has a USB port, when in reality its ONLY on the DOCK.. USB ports can be used for other things besides connecting your cellphone you know!

You chose to turn this into a personal issue for whatever reason lol.. Bad day today or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 9:02:35 AM PDT
NiteLine says:
LOL.... It wasn't personal on my side. You're (got it right this time. ;)) the one that was critiquing. My opinion is that lack of a native micro-usb port is a non-issue. Especially for tethering. Majority of people are tethering via bluetooth or WiFi. Like you said cords are not "mobile".

Actually I am having a great day. Over looking the ocean while I use my tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 9:12:54 AM PDT
DQ says:
Download the free app FoxFi and it will allow for wifi tethering without root.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:48:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 10:49:57 AM PDT
Travis Keany says:
Have you tried something like this?

EDIT: Oops, Diego beat me to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:41:32 AM PDT
Thanks for the tip. I tried that app before, but unfortunately my phone isnt supported. (HTC Thunderbolt). It says I can connect via Bluetooth, but I've never had any luck getting Bluetooth devices to connect consistently.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 11:35:24 PM PDT
Stacy Waller says:
You dont' have to root your phone to tether. Download FoxFi if you have an android phone, no root necessary.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (1,162 customer reviews)

$499.99 $198.00