5.0 out of 5 stars A natural diet with the athlete in mind, December 19, 2006
This review is from: The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance (Paperback)
This book changed the way I look at nutrition. I have always been active and eaten a decent diet, but I knew I was too heavy on sugars and carbs in general. When I got into triathlons, I got Joe Friel's The Triathlete's Training Bible, and it turned me onto the Paleo Diet.

Since both authors have advanced degrees (Loren Cordain has a PhD in Exercise Physiology and Friel a M.S. in Exercise Science), it is heavy on science. The authors base their claims on numerous sources, and reference these sources throughout.

The basic premise is that the way we currently eat is contrary to how our bodies evolved over the millions of years prior to agriculture. Lean meat, fish, and fresh fruits and vegetables should be our staple, with a small twist. Paleolithic man could never have been a high level endurance athlete, as he just wouldn't have gotten enough carbohydrate to replenish his glycogen stores after a long or very intense workout.

This book, then, makes adjustments to the standard Paleo Diet to include certain types of foods normally not allowed during SPECIFIC periods of the pre and post-exercise window.

Post Script: Though I don't like to comment on others' reviews, I feel I must say that I don't agree with the assertion that the book doesn't place enough emphasis on when to eat the foods you eat. After the intro, the entire first few chapters are exactly that: What types of food to eat, and EXACTLY when to eat them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2007 9:09:55 AM PST
Id says:
Great review. Thanks for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 12:30:28 AM PST
Excellent review! Very well written.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 6:52:27 AM PDT
Katie says:
At risk of sounding silly, is training and running half-marathons extreme enough for it to make sense to buy this book, or is the first one sufficient? Thanks.

Posted on Jun 5, 2012 10:09:27 AM PDT
One thought - I'm fairly certain paleo encourages high fat meats (though natural, etc) not lean meat... Not sure if the book or just the comment mentioned lean meats. I appreciate the review and am new to this so this is helpful, I just don't know yet that adjustments need to be made or that paleo men weren't high endurance athletes. They might not have been how we define endurance athletes, but compared to today's lifestyle I think they might have been! Thanks again for the review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›