4.0 out of 5 stars Does everything I want from an MP3 player for exercising, November 18, 2011
This review is from: SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player, Black With Full-Color Display, MicroSDHC Card Slot and Stopwatch- SDMX22-004G-A57K (Electronics)
My previous player, the Sansa Clip+, died after slightly over a year of extensive use and abuse. I was disappointed at the lack of longevity, but thought I'd give Sansa another try.

I have a number of requirements for an MP3 player:

1. Good battery life
2. Good sound quality
3. Sufficient storage (or ability to expand with external memory)
4. No custom software required for non DRM material (meaning USB Mass Storage Class support)
5. Audible support
6. Inexpensive

The obvious comparison is to the iPod Nano (not Shuffle, since that didn't have a display). The Nano is more expensive, has a better screen and build quality, but the main reason I didn't consider it seriously is because it requires iTunes.

First, Audible support is working perfectly. Mine came with the latest firmware (as of 11/17/2011) and I activated and uploaded audiobooks to it using the Audible software on Windows. The only part I stumbled over is that they're under "Books" and not "Music" like the Clip+.

Startup / shutdown seems a few seconds slower than with the Clip+.

Color display for album art is nice to have, but hardly essential. The color display is not as bright and crisp as a good LCD display. I've only used it for a few hours (for Audible) and once it got the album art mixed up - displayed the album art of one of the included music tracks when playing back my audiobook. Strange, but no big deal.

It hanged on me once when starting up and reloading new content. Not a good sign. Will keep an eye on it. The "15 second power button press" shut it down.

Physically the unit is slightly larger than the Clip+. Buttons are in slightly different locations but functions essentially unchanged. It now has a micro USB port instead of mini USB. A micro USB cable is included, as well as a pair of earbuds that promptly went into my gym bag as "backup earbuds" since I already have a couple of much better IEMs.

The main menu is customizable - you can disable any functions (like stopwatch, for example) if you don't use them.

I bought the 4GB model because of the price difference - $20 for an extra 4GB - doesn't make much sense. It means that I can only have a maximum of 36GB (4 + 32) instead of 40GB, but I can live with that. On my Clip+, I have a total of 16GB, and never really felt the need to have more storage as long as I can connect to a computer once every 2 weeks or so. You can, of course, carry multiple microSD cards around.

Overall, I'm happy with this unit. I'll update my review if I encounter any issues using it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012 9:18:59 AM PDT
M. F. Miglis says:
Buyer beware. This is the FIFTH one of the SanDisk Clip/and Clip/Zips I have owned. Every single one died (lost power and would not power up). This last one (I had hoped they fixed the problem) just purchased June 2012 and it lasted all of one week. No abuse, no dropping, no water..these things have a fundamental flaw which has, obviously, not been resolved.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 2:19:51 AM PDT
Lenny says:
I've been using mine pretty much daily, a few hours each day, since I bought it. It doesn't get pampered, though I do have a silicone sleeve over it. So far, so good. Though battery life seems to be down to about 5 hours or so.

I'm using mine with a 32GB micro SDHC card.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 9:27:03 PM PDT
D. Lewis says:
The SD card may be causing extra battery usage. I found on of my sdcards (also 32gb) drains my battery much faster then the rest I have. No idea why but might be worth a look.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Lenny
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: FREMONT, CA, United States