Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

2,806 of 2,945 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars High nutrient density, not vegetarian, June 26, 2003
This review is from: Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (Hardcover)
The reviewer from Philadelphia below misrepresents Eat To Live. As a physician myself, I am concerned that this misinformation may harm other people by preventing them from reading Dr. Fuhrman's important book - I am especially concerned about our American epidemic of obesity and diet-related diseases like diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Dr. Fuhrman presents the cure in his well-researched book. The reviewer (did this person read the book?) from Philadelphia states that Dr Fuhrman's recommendations allow no animal products when in fact Eat To Live is a diet-style, not a diet. It has no such rigid requirements. In his menu plans he gives 7 days of menu plans for those on a vegetarian version of the plan and 7 days on a non-vegetarian plan. Dr. Fuhrman also makes it clear that a diet rich in vegetables does not have to be all raw or exclude animal foods completely; it is flexible. As a physician, I have observed him in action with patients and he can modify recipes and menu plans to accommodate various tastes and food preferences. It is not an all or nothing plan. However, without reading Eat To Live, your future diet-style will be based on misinformation, not science. It takes experience, creativity and knowledge to make the healthiest way to eat taste favorable for many people. Some people will reject the idea of eating for health based on incomplete information and what they want to eat based on short term thinking (those french fries sound good), rather than enjoying truly more delicious foods that are actually healthful too. Just remember taste is learned and takes a few months to adjust and you can also learn to make healthy food taste great. I have observed that most people over time actually like the taste of this diet-style better then their prior one and love the fact they can eat as much as they want. You get to eat lots of food, not be hungry and get great results too. Get the book and see for yourself. I believe every person in America must read this information; it puts all controversy about diet to rest and may save your life.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 13 customers

Soccerfan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2009 6:46:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2009 11:25:02 AM PST
Warren Green says:
I have given copies of Arthur Agatston's "South Beach Heart Program" to two people I knew had no interest in adopting a plant-based diet. I believe that the diet recommended by Loren Cordain is essentially the same as the one recommended by Dr.Agatston, which is obviously a major improvement over the typical North American diet.

The problem, in my eyes, is that North America has a population of people with varying degrees of cardiovascular disease. A population of sick people. If we want to stem the flowing tide of heart attacks, we need to achieve and maintain total cholesterol levels below 150 mg/dL. (without drugs)

I would estimate (and I think I'm being generous) that less than one in twenty North Americans could ever achieve sub-150 cholesterol levels while consuming more than10% of their calories from animal-based foods.

Don Gorsky was featured in the "Super Size Me" movie as a man who'd eaten two Big Macs every day for many years, and maintained a total cholesterol level of 140mg/dL. He was one of the relatively rare exceptions.

It doesn't matter what our ancestors did. The question is, how do we overcome epidemics of diabetes and heart disease before overwhelming health care costs make it virtually impossible for North Americans to compete with healthier countries?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2009 2:02:13 PM PDT
The problem with eating as our ancestors ate is that modern homo sapien sapien is not built the same as, say, Australopithecus africanus. Not to mention that we have completely different lifestyles....we no longer go out and club our dinner to death or run it off a cliff. So why would we continue to eat like them? We've evolved and so should our diets!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 5:13:57 PM PDT
Wj Kraftsow says:
Read The China Study. It disproves your thoughts about animal protein. It is not good for us -- not from a heart standpoint and not from a cancer standpoint.

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 5:17:07 PM PST
One big issue I have with the paleo-type diets is that we are living a lot longer than our ancestors did. We have no way of knowing whether their meat-heavy diet would have caused problems such as elevated cholesterol, heart disease, cancer, etc. as they aged. That being said, I believe there is room for meat, if we so desire, in a healthy diet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2009 6:21:18 PM PST
Wj Kraftsow says:
Please read the scientific research in The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, and you will see that meat isn't the means to a healthy diet, but instead a major source of our heart disease and cancer. The evidence is quite solid. The book is not just about the biggest study in the history of mankind, comparing populations in Chinese provinces, but it also delves into research studies across the globe involving humans, rats, mice, etc. These are not just short term studies, but studies lasting decades. T. Colin Campbell grew up on a farm and had the many same pro-meat and pro-dairy prejudices we all grew up with. However, as a man of science, he could not deny the facts, which went against all the beliefs he grew up with and against all the propaganda dished out by the meat and dairy industries. The medical community at large is a bit behind the eight ball here. Keep in mind that the AMA's medical journal used to feature advertisements that promoted the health benefits of smoking cigarettes. Unfortunately, sometimes we need to read the science and not just depend on our own lifestyle habits and beliefs, or even those of our doctors. Sometimes, as in the case of cigarette smoking, it took too long for the American public to see past the smoke and mirrors of the tobacco industry. The same can be said, sadly, about our meat and dairy industries. Many of these same industries are the financial backers of many of the associations we look to for guidance (i.e., American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, etc.). People like Dr. Fuhrman and T. Colin Campbell are not beholden to such large lobbies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2009 12:38:26 PM PST
Bookworm says:
Also, I'm sure "cavemen" ate bone marrow, eyeballs, blood and a host of other things that would be disgusting to modern folks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2010 10:08:55 PM PDT
Very well said, I couldn't agree with you more. It is appalling that the majority of people in the US are still hypnotized by Big Agribiz. Everyone I know consumes animal products, and even worse, feeds their children animal products. Most of them are overweight, have lots of health problems, and are depressed and miserable. Their kids are overweight, depressed, sick all the time and the teenagers are covered with acne. They think all of this is normal! I thank God that I found the vegan lifestyle. My children suffered horribly from ingesting dairy products when they were little. Both had constant ear infections, tube surgery, and my daughter had to have eardrum reconstruction surgery. She has lost 5% of her hearing. This is because I was brainwashed into thinking they needed lots of milk!
I am transitioning them both to a vegan diet. They have both lost weight, their acne has cleared up, and they are both happier, and sleep much better. I have gotten off of 7 prescription medications, and my gums no longer bleed. I am also a diabetic, and that condition is healing as well.
I recommend that everyone should read, in addition to Eat to Live and The China Study, The World Peace Diet by Will Tuttle, PhD. This book should be required reading for everyone. It is brilliant, and provides the answer for so many of the world's problems.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 5:20:42 AM PDT
I live in southern Spain where people eat a Mediterranean diet (obviously!) composed of fish and seafood, meat or poultry two-three times a week (especially pork & ham), eggs, salads, vegetable soups, bread, olives and olive oil, wine and VERY strong coffee. Desserts are simple (usually fruit) and snacking is rare apart from an ice-cream on a hot Summer afternoon ... No one type of food is shunned as being "bad" but the confectionery (cakes, chocolate, biscuits etc) aisles in the supermarket are TINY compared with the UK or US. Very few people are vegetarian and even fewer are vegan. Meals are lengthy and sociable occasions and people eat VERY late!

Spanish people certainly look healthy, with clear skins and glossy hair and although older women are a bit "dumpy" (the result of poverty and malnutrition during the Franco era) there are few obese people. The rates of death from heart disease are among the best in the "western world". Of course there are fast-food restaurants as there are everywhere now, but they tend to be an occasional treat rather than a habit.

I post this in response to S Levanduski to make the point that a truly balanced diet CAN be one that includes all (natural) food groups and we do not have to turn to the extremes of veganism to be healthy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›