1.0 out of 5 stars headache, February 5, 2012
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button (Electronics)
I purchased this router to replace my old Linksys WRT54G router. I thought I needed a quicker connection with my desktop, laptop, internet TV and tablet all operating around the household. This router was difficult to set up (but perhaps that is user error and not the router's fault). However, my biggest headache are the recurring daily disconnects that require a reset. It doesn't seem to matter if it is the desktop's wired connection or the wireless. I have tried changing wireless channels, etc. and nothing has helped. I was initially hesitant to blame this router for all my problems but I have since gone back to my old WRT54G and all is well. Disappointed in this purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2012 7:05:00 AM PST
G. Cook says:
I got mine for free (with a rebate) with my Charter service. First problem was that with default settings it thought I had a static IP address from Charter. I manually set it to Dynamic and everything started working fine.

Now every morning all my wireless devices, while "connected" to the router with what appears to be a valid IP address, don't have Internet connectivity. Hooking up directly to the router results in a self-assigned IP address. The only solution is to hard reboot the router.

My firmware is up to date. I guess you get what you pay for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 9:17:33 AM PDT
Did you contact tech support? Was tech support unavailable or useless? Did you request a replacement?

Posted on May 20, 2012 9:18:06 AM PDT

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:31:38 AM PDT
Howard says:
Hello David,

We're sorry to hear that you've had issues with the TL-WR841N. It seems like you have tried everything you can to configure the TP-Link router with no success. Thanks for taking the time out and trying the product, we appreciate it.

Best Regards!
TP-LINK Support Force
Toll Free Tech Support: 866-225-8139
Support.usa@tp-link.com

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 2:47:11 PM PDT
S. Chu says:
I am having the same problem. I have to restart the router daily to make a good connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 9:40:45 PM PDT
G. Cook says:
So it's been a few months now, and I've swapped out the TP-LINK with a WRT54g unit running dd-wrt. That unit exhibits the same problems. One observation: If I only have a few devices connecting up to the router(s) the link will stay up for days. If I have a lot of devices (iPhone, iPad, Blu-Ray, Wii, laptop, etc.) the router requires daily rebooting.

So at this point I'm going to say that it's not a hardware problem, but instead something having to do with Charter, and *their* routers doing something to mess up my wireless. I just haven't been bothered to track it down any further. Anyone else seeing this?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 9:06:05 AM PDT
what has tp-link done to get a working router other than thanking this person for trying the product? thanking

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:17:59 PM PDT
Told You So says:
Alot of help you are...NOT

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 8:19:18 PM PDT
saverio_us says:
Ok, so it seems like it as a very common problem. Not just me. I am returning mine and getting a better one, I'd rather pay an extra 20 for a more reliable device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 12:06:31 AM PST
kebosatu says:
Yes, this is product issue. The router will stop working until you recycle the power if you use it for continuous access. Example Torrent/Remote desktop.

I have returned and get v8 hardware, still the same issue. Daily recycle power when u you application for continuous access.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›