5.0 out of 5 stars Sony MDRV6 Headphones - A Classic, March 14, 2000
This review is from: Sony MDRV6 Studio Monitor Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil (Electronics)
I can't recall how long I've owned my MDR-V6 phones, but it's easily been ten years. The sound is excellent, virtually uncolored, and unlike other top of the line headphones like Sennheiser's (which are VERY nice and well over $150.00) these sound as good used with a portable CD player as with a well powered home system.
It was time to replace them since the cord is finally shorting too much to ignore any longer and my ears are always covered with black stuff and foam from the disintegrating earcups. I asked around and a colleague who is the audio technician on a popular TV show told me without hesitation, these are the ones to buy. It's what he uses on the set and at home. I'm glad Sony still makes 'em. Maybe I should buy another pair for ten years down the road...

***(Additional comment added March 2014)***

A friend recently asked about the headphones I had plugged into my iPod. I let him listen to them and he was blown away. I told him to look for them on Amazon as it was one of the few places I've still seen them available at a reasonable price. Thirteen years after I wrote the original review above, and about twenty five since I purchased them, they are still going strong. Not many things last that long--outside of body parts. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 8, 2007 9:26:46 AM PDT
John White says:
I and a friend had the precursor version of these, the MDR-V600. We have both discovered the ear pads to disintegrate over time, flaking its pleather all over. As he mentions Sennheiser, I will point at that many Sennheiser headphones are quite user-serviceable as they allow you to replace only the ear pads or the cable if you so desire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2007 1:13:39 PM PDT
I. Gulko says:
From what I have read in other reviews, the foam pads are user-replaceable for these headphones as well. The replacement pads were reported to cost $6.

Posted on Jul 17, 2007 9:22:11 AM PDT
Duane C. says:
Replacement pads are available from Sony through their Service site online. Cost is $5.95 each - with shipping, tax, etc, I replaced mine on my wonderful 15 year old set for under $20. I'll keep these as long as they last because they're the best I've ever heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 10:34:58 PM PDT
K. Kam says:
I own a 10+ year old pair of MDR-V6's (probably as old are yours). I actually bought a new set this weekend, but found out that there are replacement ear pads from your post (and the one above it).

I searched the sony website and they only have replacement ear pads for the MDR-V600. Are those the pads that you outfitted on your set of MDR-V6's?

Kristen

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 12:57:06 AM PDT
A. Torres says:
Buy replacement pads, good ones that don't make your ears sweat and are imho more comfortable are the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645787-REG/Pearstone_9081860_Deluxe_Earpads_Pair_.html

called pearstone deluxe earpads from b&h photo video

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 2:16:30 PM PST
Tekon says:
I would buy Sony, if the cord was user replaceable and made to last(by using Kevlar in the cord's sleeve).
Though they sounded great the cord shorted within 2years just like every Sony items that I've ever owned... are made to break. Fortunately with Sennheiser, and Stanton headphones you can just replace the cord it self.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 7:50:19 AM PDT
V6s were released in 85, v600s were released in 92/93. Obviously V600 were not the precursor in this pair.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:15:09 AM PST
Would you sell your old set for parts?
Thanks,
Ted

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:12:50 AM PST
B. Speer says:
Mine are old too. Recently put new ear covers all else still fine. Bought maybe before Amazon at Best Buy type and paid about $100. Tried many and still think nothing under $200+ significantly better. What a bargain.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 5:47:41 AM PST
Does the quality (sound and construction) of the new one, keeps up with the quality of your old ones?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,615 customer reviews)
 (1,232)