2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it., February 27, 2012
This review is from: Kalorik Chopper/Baby Food Maker, White/Yellow, 2-Cup (Kitchen)
I was very excited to buy this product. After using it many times, it is still in good working condition; however, it is simply not worth the trouble. I have made all of my daughter's baby food from the start, and this little machine requires me to steam it in one container and then transfer it to another container to puree it. That wouldn't be so bad, but there are a few issues that I have with it.

1. When you puree, food particles get into the tiny compartment where steam enters the bowl. It is very, VERY difficult to remove these particles, and if you don't get them all out, it compromises the sanitation of the baby food. I thought, "surely this cannot be right." I read and re-read the instructions...but unless my package was missing some instructions, I was doing it correctly.

2. The steaming basin has a very small hole in which to pour water. It takes a while to get all of the water into the basin, and I am constantly getting water all over the counter.

3. There is no way to get into the basin that holds water to clean it completely, rather the manufacturer suggestion is to clean it with water (or adding a little vinegar and water), shaking the entire machine around, dumping it out and then rinsing it. Once, I literally had to do this process 8 times to get the water to come out clear.

3. If you forget to turn the "close" latch on the water basin before turning on the "steam" mode, it gets quite a mess of hot water all over the counter. In addition it also allows the food-stained steaming liquid back into the basin of the steamer, requiring you to fully clean the basin with the method listed above --Yes this was my fault, but it is a very easy thing to forget.

4. I make my baby food in large batches and freeze it, and this little machine does not make a large enough batch for it to be worth my time.

The product was sturdy and pureed the food well. It steamed the food properly, and it might work for someone who makes fresh food in small batches every day...though it still would require a bit of effort and cleaning. For me, it was a bust. I wish I would have just spent the money on a nice food processor instead of buying this machine.

[Add comment]