5.0 out of 5 stars upgradeability of the X202E-DH31T, November 13, 2012
This review is from: ASUS 11-Inch X202E Laptop [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
I'm an IT professional, and have dealt with a few ASUS laptops, which I now prefer to Dell.

If you take remove the 9 phillips screws on the bottom, you have access to some of the internal components.
You will need to tug a little, as the case is still held in place by little plastic clippies all around.
You might break a nail, so be careful.

MEMORY:
The memory is soldered into the board, so 4GB is all you will ever have. Period.

DISK DRIVE:
The HDD is a Hitachi HTS5450A7E380 (7mm 2.5") and can be replaced with another "Low Profile" 7mm SSD or HDD. You simply remove 3 screws that hold the cage in (the 4th screw is already removed from removing the back panel), remove the cage, remove 4 screws holding drive in cage, replace with a SATA II/III drive. (It is a SATA 3 6.0 GB/s connection).
I recommend the Samsung 840 series, as they are 7mm 2.5" and very low on power usage. When you remove the old HDD, it has a plastic backing glued on it with two rubber foam strips.
Don't worry with removing it from the old HDD. An SSD doesn't need the shock absorption and will be mounted securely with the screws.

WIRELESS:
The Atheros AR5B225 Half Mini PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth 4.0 module is replaceable.
I am replacing mine with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 so I can use WiDi and Dual Band Wifi.
It was as easy as removing the two antenna wires from the Atheros, popping in new card, reattaching two antenna wires to the Intel 6235.

BATTERY:
The 5136 mAh 2 cell battery is replaceable, albeit proprietary. Not sure what this means for the future.

MY GENERAL OPINION OF THE LAPTOP and Windows 8:

I have been using Windows 8 at work for a bit, and as an OS, it's hard and confusing with a dual monitor desktop power user setup (as I have no need for the Metro interface there, and I feel like I'm fighting it). I had to tweak it to get my start menu back (Open source utility called "Classic Start"). However, with a touch screen laptop, it is very easy to use. I've been thoroughly been enjoying it as a tablet replacement. I admit, I did install an SSD in it, and it is SO much more responsive now (and shaved some ounces on weight as well has dropping at least a watt of power draw). I also have access to a Windows 8 volume license key, and mine is running Windows 8 Enterprise.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 6:58:40 PM PST
BeanBlu says:
Thank you for this information! My understanding is that this laptop includes a 7mm HDD. Do you know if a 9.5mm SSD will fit in its place?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:40:16 AM PST
That's a good question. I will find out today since that will mean I need to order a 7mm drive if that's the case.
I definitely wouldn't be surprised given the thinness of the laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:43:41 AM PST
So according to D Simone's review:
"I finally got around to installing an SSD drive and replacing the mechanical drive. The drive that came in it was a Hitachi HTS5450A7E380 which is a 7mm thick drive. Unfortunately the SSD I had was a typical 9.5mm and was too thick to work at first. Luckily I was able to remove part of the casing on the SSD drive I used and that made for a perfect fit. So if you plan on swapping out for an SSD make sure it is no thicker than 7mm or it won't fit. I had some trouble where the laptop kept booting into the BIOS"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:26:17 AM PST
BeanBlu says:
That's very helpful! Thank you!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:51:04 AM PST
Go Bruins says:
Great review. This is the kind of review that helps make an informed decision. The RAM cap at 4GB is a bit dissapointing, and I'm wondering if a higher capacity battery could be fitted...

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 2:02:36 PM PST
Jasper B. says:
Giving you a gold star for savvy review for savvy shoppers! Can I cram in a discrete video card? Something like a 650M?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 4:17:35 PM PST
With the exception of the half mini pci slot for the wifi card, there is no pci expansion slot of any kind.
That would likely compromise the thermal design of the laptop anyways.

Your only hope would be the development of USB 3.0 graphics. I think I saw one proposed in a magazine not too long ago...but I wouldn't put much faith in it given the transfer rates are nothing compared to a full size PCI x16 slot.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 8:34:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 8:35:41 AM PST
TechSavvy says:
How would one go replacing the wireless adapter with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235? Im guessing you have to uninstall the wireless drivers and replace it with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235's drivers?

Also if you replace the 5400rpm drive with a SSD how would you transfer the windows 8 license?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 9:20:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 25, 2012 10:10:04 AM PST
All I did was pop out the old Atheros and popped in the new Intel 6235, and it worked upon booting. I did go further and install the Intel drivers anyways. You'll need to do this to get WiDi working anyways (I don't have a WiDi yet, so I can't very functionality).

Techsavvy, I have no idea how to get the Windows 8 product key. I just searched for 30 minutes.
I tried some free programs, but they couldn't retrieve it. It always comes back as BBBB-BBBB-BBBB-BBBB-####.
Maybe you can try contact Asus or Microsoft:

I have no idea why it's so hard to get your Windows 8 product key.

Sorry, I was blessed in having a Windows 8 Volume License key here at my University.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2012 9:28:56 AM PST
My wifi connectivity is very flakey when it comes to picking up my exisiting connection, or any other connection, however it does pick up every wifi in my apartment complex.. Once im on it will consistently keep connection, but sometimes it will flake out here and there where my other devices keep connection.

Do you think this is a drivers issues, hardware issue, or another issue?

Also, does anyone know how to get bluetooth to get up and working on this thing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (738 customer reviews)

$569.99 $550.00