Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just like the macbook pro trackpad, August 4, 2010
I have a strong preference for touchpads over mice so I was pretty delighted upon hearing about this being released by Apple. I have another touchpad made by Adesso that I use with desktops, but it is wired and not nearly as nice or large as the Apple one.

This trackpad works exactly like the built-in one on the macbook pro. It's slim and very elegant looking. There is no lag like you get with wireless optical mice. The glass surface, however, has a bit of 'texture' to it unlike the macbook's trackpad which is shiny. It's almost like a matte finish to it which is ok as a perfectly shiny glass surface can stick a bit if your fingers are a little sweaty. (But if your fingers are dry, the shiny feels a little better :)

It's well constructed and seems sturdy. The top part that holds the battery feels cool like aluminum though I'm not sure if it is. But it's not cheap plastic. It has a nice solid feel and I'm extremely happy with it. I visited the local Apple store to try it out before buying, but they did not have it in yet. But I'm glad I went ahead and ordered it from Apple because it's exactly what I wanted. I will never use another mouse again!

When you get it, make sure that you update your OS software to get the trackpad drivers. It will work without the update but you won't be able to adjust it and features will be missing. You might have your computer on auto update in which case you don't need to worry about this. But if you're a weirdo like me and prefer to manually update, then keep this in mind. When the batteries die, I'll update this review to give a sense of how long the batteries last.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2010 12:37:31 PM PDT
corazon says:
LOVE this device. I just got a new iPad as well - but the trackpad on my imac is my favorite new toy. Tap rules ! What a relief on the wrist and hand. Six stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2010 12:22:44 AM PDT
S. Shah says:
I too am a huge fan of the magic trackpad. Great product!

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 8:28:08 PM PDT
Autumn Sky says:
This thing will one day be part of the keyboard. There is no need for it to stand alone, and to cost as much as a keyboard. A mouse needs to be moved, but not this pad.

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 8:28:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 20, 2010 8:28:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2010 11:36:32 PM PDT
nutjob says:
Thank god you don't work for Apple, Autumn. A trackpad connected to the keyboard would be a disaster. I have mine a good distance from my keyboard and at a nice comfortable angle. What you're suggesting means people would have to contort themselves to use the device. If you're worried about price, I can assure you Apple would charge at least the cost of a keyboard and trackpad for the combo.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2010 1:12:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2010 9:27:35 PM PDT
Autumn Sky says:
"Works just like the macbook pro trackpad" is the title of this review, which says it all: a trackpad can be part of a keyboard as it is part of a laptop. Using a trackpad can in no way "contort" your hands or wrists, for you only use your fingers in a more flexible ways than typing on a keyboard. I am not working for Apple, but Apple under the direction of Steve Jobs is consumer-oriented, and that is why Apple is user-friendly. Apple is also known for combining things together: iMac is a clear example, and now the iPad. The iMac would be much more expensive if sold as separate parts. Try to get the same configuration of an iMac starting with a Mac Mini... My prediction is that when OSX 10.7 ("Lion") comes out next summer, a keyboard with trackpad will be introduced.

Posted on Nov 19, 2010 11:35:20 AM PST
Mrs. Puzzle says:
I agree with your assessment of the Magic Trackpad. I was looking for multi-touch functionality for my 2009 iMac, and briefly considered the Bamboo Touch product. Luckily I did went with the Magic Trackpad. Once I configured it the way I like, it was a blessing to use. Three-finger drag is great, along with inertia scrolling. Now, I can easily go to the bottom of a long web page with one flick of my fingers! Also, the 4-finger swipe for Task Manager and the 4-finger tap for last-used program is a godsend. I can't wait until the 3rd party developers add additional gestures to it, a la the charming, but ill-conceived Magic Mouse. The Magic Trackpad is a *great* device that everyone should try.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 5:32:02 PM PST
P. Song says:
I could not edit the original review. But I said that I'd update it to let others know how long my batteries last. So this is the update. I got 4 months out of the orignal batteries (early August to early December). I was using it a lot at first (like 8 hours a day), but the last couple months I've been using it less as I work on a laptop now. So I'll average it and say on 4 hours a day, I got about 4 months... not bad at all.

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 7:15:10 AM PST
P. Stein says:
Thinking of getting one for my MacBook Pro. I have the apple wireless keyboard about 4 inches below my MacBook Pro. Makes for great ergonomics, just like a separate keyboard monitor configuration. However, it makes the laptop trackpad difficult to use. I'm tired of mice that gum up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 11:22:48 AM PST
Pink Pixie says:
Can you for sure use this trackpad with a macbook, rather than an imac? The specs claim it's for a desktop mac, and say nothing about working for laptops. (Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not super computer savvy). I only have a macbook, but I like to be able to hook to laptop up to the tv and read from there. It would make things significantly easier to have a wireless trackpad.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›