1.0 out of 5 stars CNE, MCP, MCSE, A+ PC Tech Review, January 30, 2012
This review is from: Acer AS5733Z-4469 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mesh Gray) (Personal Computers)
Before you even think about buying an Acer computer you should at least stop and read this transcript of my attempt to service an Acer laptop with a serious hardware issue still under warranty:

Status: Connected
Dharan Manu (Listening)
Jimmy Jose: Hi, my name is
Jimmy Jose. How may I help you?
Mark: * Case #PAC40094
* Case #PAC40443
Mark: I put in the first case number above, spent an hour explaining my issue and then the case was closed when I went in to see the status. No one contacted me and yet they closed the case.
Mark: I put in my address in Yellowstone, the address of the [place I work] in Yellowstone, but both times it said "Invalid Address". So, now I have had to use a friend's address in nearby Gardiner.
Mark: I have worked with Dell and HP customer support for 12 years and never had this kind of experience in not being responded to.
Jimmy Jose: I apologize for the inconvenience happened.
Mark: This laptop has a serious issue that must be hardware related. For one, I took it back to the factory defaults and still had the exact same problem with it freezing up when the fan comes on.
Jimmy Jose: I understand that you have created repair order and unable to open the case foe detailed explanation.
Mark: "foe" what?
Mark: Why can't I open a case with Acer, with a laptop that's still under warranty????
Jimmy Jose: Mark, your case ID is waiting for approval.
Jimmy Jose: After getting approval, you can edit the case notes.
Mark: That's because I just opened a second case a few minutes ago. Tell me why the first case was closed with absolutely NO EXPLANATION???
Jimmy Jose: You was not suppose to open a case at that time.
Jimmy Jose: Sorry for the typo.
Mark: What do you mean "I was not suppose to open a case at that time"???
Mark: What else am I supposed to do if I open a case and Acer closes it before doing anything about it?
Jimmy Jose: Unfortunately you have no option to open two cases at a time.
Mark: So, are you saying that Acer can close a case with no explanation and I can't open a second case???
I then, asked to speak to his manager and it took about a half hour to get it across to him that I had not sent the laptop in and had it returned, but was simply trying to open a ticket for the first time. I explained to him that I took the laptop back to its factory defaults and it still freezes up and hesitates whenever the fan turns on, although it is somewhat better when the battery is not in it. After an hour, all he could do for me is give me a phone number to call tomorrow...

MY ADVICE TO YOU IS NOT TO PURCHASE AN ACER COMPUTER! I SUSPECT THAT THEY ARE STUFFING THE BALLOT WITH FIVE STAR REVIEWS FROM IMAGINARY CUSTOMERS AND HAVE DESIGN PROBLEMS IN MANY OF THEIR MODELS. ITS THE WORSE COMPUTER I'VE EVER DEALT WITH AND AS A DESKTOP TECHNICIAN FOR OVER A DECADE, I HAVE WORKED WITH DELL AND HP SUPPORT HUNDREDS OF TIMES, PURCHASED HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF COMPUTERS, SKIP-JUMPED OVER MOST HARDWARE ISSUES WHEN TALKING TO TECH SUPPORT AND NEVER BEEN TREATED IN SUCH A MANNER BY EITHER HP OR DELL. I AM WARNING YOU NOT TO BUY ONE OF THESE PC'S JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE INEXPENSIVE AND TO BE AWARE THAT THEY HAVE NO CONCEPT OF HOW TO SUPPORT THEIR CUSTOMERS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2012 5:12:49 PM PST
I have owned 3 Acer computers, 2 desk tops (1 for hm, 1 for Auto Shop Business) and a laptop. The laptop I used to find real estate in Oregon, via 5G wireless internet, while traveling from Calif.

The first desktop I bought had a problem, it would shut off by itself intermittently. They fixed it and yes it was down for a few days and it took time on the phone. Turned out to be a bad solder joint in the mother board. They actually sent out a Tech to fix it in my shop. They were prompt to solve the issue. 1 yr warranty, broke in the 12th month within days/hours of expiration.
These computers have all been hacked via the Internet but, have all been recovered using the recovery software. Acer is best out of all I have owned. Compaq was the worst computer I ever owned. All the software was proprietary junk.
I have also had good luck with Belkin Router N600DB.

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 2:05:28 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 12, 2012 2:48:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 2:46:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 12, 2012 2:59:28 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 6:26:08 AM PST
Drewsky F says:
I've had an Acer netbook for 3 years with no problem whatsoever. Yes, there are going to be a percentage of Acers with defects; all major products have a QA percentage allowance for defects, but it doesn't mean the brand is unreliable. It sounds like the major problem was the tech support when trying to get a fix/replacement. When I get an incompetent technician online I pick up the phone and call or take it back to the retailer for a better response. You are right about Dell & HP having good support. I've dealt with both and they are great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 1:08:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 2:00:00 AM PST
Mark says:
I live and work in Yellowstone National Park. As a favor to people I work with, I fix their personal computers for free. (good Karma) Tonight I am working on another Acer Aspire (MS2310) for a college age girl. (4th Acer laptop since May out of 10 that I've fixed) She tried taking it back to factory defaults 3 times, but after rebooting it would always return to Startup Repair and fail again. So, I did the same thing only before rebooting, set it to run Scandisk to scan for and attempt to recover any bad clusters. It worked! So, this one was repairable, but the last one I worked on for a nice young guy was not repairable and he is going to have to replace the hard drive. Both Acer laptops were out of warranty. I still wonder if these supposed "positive" reviews that keep popping up are coming out of Acer... By the way, I asked to speak to tha Acer Technician's manager and it took me another 20 minutes to simply get a phone number that I could call the next day. So, to get Acer's attention, I put the transcript under Acer, Inc. on Wikipedia and even before I woke up I got two phone calls from them in Texas. However, when I called the number that left a voice message, the guy never returned my call. That takes the tally to three incompetent people. So, I went ahead and called the number that I got the night before (after spending an hour on Acer's chat site) and finally talked to someone who could effectively communicate in English. (Give him a raise Acer!) Anyway, that laptop is on its way back from warranty repair. There was one reply posted in this conversation that was quickly pulled by Amazon (thank you) where someone called me an idiot for having talked to Dell and HP Tech Support so many times. That's when I changed the title and listed my credentials. In my current job we have over 900 computer users in the summer. I've been doing desktop support for over 12 years. If my arguments don't ring true to you as a potential buyer then go for it. Listen to the antidotal reviews and do as you wish. I am simply trying to warn you!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2012 3:36:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2012 3:38:37 PM PST
M. Nelson says:
Maybe Acer's service has deteriorated over the years. I have had 4 Acer laptops (the only brand I have purchased) and those machines have given good service. I do not work for Acer.

HP, Toshiba, Asus and Samsung also have LOTS of complaints about problems and that includes complaints about their service.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 4:43:11 AM PST
Mignonette says:
I am not an imaginary customer. You can see the verified purchase tag under my name. I can only go by my own personal experience with Acer, which has always been good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 9:53:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2012 9:54:15 AM PST
Mark says:
Well, some people swore by their Chevy Citations and Chevettes, AMC Pacers and Gremlins...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 3:43:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 3:44:36 PM PST
JM says:
The word is anecdotal, not antidotal--unless you are discussing taking an antidote for the headache caused by Acer !

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 5:31:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 5:33:43 PM PST
Mark says:
Nice!.... Thanks for the heads up!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (32 customer reviews)

Out of stock