5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful, Touching Parable, February 3, 2001
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This little classic is readily and easily digested by one who has known the true love of a mother. My mother gave me this book during the first Christmas with my new baby daughter in 1992. I had no idea that within the year, my father would be gone, and I would begin to give tender care to my precious little mother who would begin "getting very sick" much like the mother in the book. I cried a bucket of tears as I read it aloud with my wife, mother and father for the very first time. When my mom passed on, it was a tender and precious time at her bedside, and very reminiscent of this tender little book.
Today, my two girls go for it regularly on my shelf at bedtime. They tease me because I can't get through it without crying. Funny to me that they have a very good grasp of allegory and they, unlike some of the book's critics, understand that the scenes with the mother coming to the man's apartment are actually his memories of her love. They understand, as I explain to them that the love poured into the son by his mother, has taught him how to love his new baby daughter at the end.
Love begets love, and this little childrens' parable is a powerful reminder! I highly recommend _Love You Forever_ to anyone who enjoyed a wonderful love with their mother. To others, I'm sorry but you simply won't (and obviously don't) understand. It's not written for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 31, 2008 12:11:21 PM PDT
Jenny says:
yes!, you get it. What is the matter with those critics? It's sappy, yes. but creepy, no. Not all literature is to be taken literally. The author is just pointing out that through all of the phases of the child's life the mother continues to love her child, and he in turn learns how to love. How can you possibly criticize a book for that sentiment. I too have yet to get through the book without crying, and have now bought it for my daughter and son, who each have new babies this year.

Posted on Jul 26, 2008 12:58:26 AM PDT
Billie says:
I couldn't remember the name of this book, I knew it was about a mother who loved her child from infancy to adulthood. This review confirmed that this was the one I was looking for. I read it many years ago to my first child and later to her brother & then her sister. They are all grown now, living their own lives. I have recently moved out of state and they are angry that I left and am trying to have my own life now. I am going to purchase three of these books and write a loving note in each for each "child" to help them understand that I will always love them but do not necessarily need to be with them every minute. While they are growing up, I am growing old. I don't think they realize this. I think this is a beautifully written book and can impact little children as well as grown-up children.

Posted on Apr 4, 2009 8:05:14 AM PDT
I had exactly the same response as Mark Jones. A happy cry every time it was read to my kids. They are grown now and I still cry every time I read it. I have given copies to all my kids and relatives to pass on the wonderful parable created by the author. A great story for little ones on the meaning of Love. The author is to be commended for his insight into what many others have missed. Roland Kratzner

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2010 5:06:01 AM PST
P. Niedoba says:
Oh geeze, me too. I read this book in Walmart one day when my son was about 3 or 4 years old. I couldn't stop myself from crying and couldn't buy the book because it aroused such emotion. I never forgot it and now I am going to have my first grandson and intend to purchase this book and give it to my daughter. I hope it will mean as much to her : )

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 9:43:39 PM PDT
I have sent this book to my son ... but he seems to have no response. I cried the first time I read it (in the children's section of Barnes & Noble) - sitting in one of those tiny little chairs with tears going down my face. I loved it.

My son and i do not have a relationship that works .... ie I rarely see him and he has made another community his family... and as I get older (now 66), I am so aware that time is against us. I can't wake him up it seems and I had hoped he would 'get it', what this book is saying. So I keep reading it and repeating outloud to myself, wishing my son could hear my words, "I'll love you forever - I'll like you for always/ as long as I'm living/ your mother I'll be". And I will.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2010 1:37:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2011 11:45:51 AM PST
Sons have very different responses to things like that. I am sorry that your son has not come to terms with his feelings for you. Maybe you should foward your, this post to him. I gave my son this book when he turned eighteen with tears in my eyes, he was very angry with me at the time as he felt I was too overprotective of him.Now that he is thirty-five I asked him the other day where was that book I gave him so long ago. He still is not thrilled about it but I know he understands now, it's just the meaning of the book is what I think bothers him now. Be honest with your son, I know I am and we are very close now that he has a little maturity. Never give up, keep trying and love your son with all your might! Hopefully he'll come around.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 11:19:03 AM PDT
Days Fan says:
I too, cry everytime I read it. I read it to my boys when they were smaller, they are now 10 and I dread the day they turn away from a hug or a kiss- going to read it to them again, so they won't forget. It is my gift to every new parent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 11:18:33 PM PDT
Sorry, but children do just that==take everything literally. You can check with any child psychiatrist and they will tell you this. Children do NOT understand metaphors and analogies until they are much older. You are right--not all literature is to be taken literally. But this is a CHILDREN"S book, not YOUR book. If you want to sit around reading it and crying... fine. But don't subject small impressionable children to this very confusing mish-mash about death, obsession, incest, and the inability to let go. What a nightmare.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 11:21:33 PM PDT
I'm happy for you. You go right ahead and buy it so you can sit around and cry all you like. But just stop reading it to kids. It is not meant for them. They are very impressionable and take this crap literally. If you want your children to know that you will love them no matter what, just TELL THEM. They do not understand confusing metaphors about old ladies crawling thru windows and cradling grown men. Ask any psychiatrist.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 7:12:48 AM PST