5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Great Receiver, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Denon AVR-X2000 7.1 Channel Integrated Network AV Receiver with AirPlay (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I run a 4.1 living room based setup with 2 HTD Level TWO towers, 2 HTD Level TWO surrounds and a Power Sound Audio XV15 sub. All of my gear is HDMI, as are all of my connections because I have no legacy gear, although I did run an optical digital cable from my Samsung TV to the X-2000 so I would not have to rely on ARC via HDMI for my TV's streaming apps.

The onscreen display is very nice. Everything is laid out where you would expect it to be, and you can rename sources, hide sources, assign inputs, adjust lip sync ect... with ease. The volume display is overlayed on the screen through HDMI, and with the press of the info button, you can see a quick overview of things like volume, current input, incoming signal type, outgoing speaker layout to play that signal, and current sound mode.......Sweet! The front panel display can be dimmed or turned off completely. If you do turn it off, it will comeback on for a few seconds when you change sources or sound modes, then it goes out again. I run my setup with the display off. There is an LED light on the front that turns red when the unit is off, and green when on.

I used my tried and true 8 point Audyssey XT calibration approach, as this is not my 1st Audyssey XT receiver, as I previously had an Onkyo 709 that failed one too many times. The end result of Audyssey XT is something that has to be heard. The biggest improvements are in the bass and the entire sound field envelopment. If you are new to Audyssey, the first thing you will ask yourself is "Where did my bass go?" This is because you are used to hearing a subwoofer that is A) running too hot, and B) bloated with a 50-70hz room hump. Once you get over that, you will start to hear "layers" of bass that you have NEVER heard before in your room. Sounds that used to just be one loud, muddy "boom", are now detailed, tight and powerful. Dynamic EQ defaults to ON after you run Audyssey, but Dynamic Volume is a user choice at the end of calibration and defaults to OFF, which is how I run. For those of you new to Audyssey, and heck, even if you're not, there is a great user guide and I highly suggest you read it to get the most from Audyssey at: avsforum[dot]com > avs forum > audio > receivers > "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #1)

The X-2000 is lightning quick to lock onto a signal through HDMI. With DirecTV channel 212 (NFL Network) there are often 3 different types of audio signals in rapid succession during commercials. DD 5.1 / DD 2.0 / PCM 2.0 and the X-2000 has no delay whatsoever when the change occurs. Not all receivers can say this, trust me.

This brings me to how the unit applies a sound field mode to an input signal. You can set the X-2000 to use a specific decoder per source, and it will always use the same decoder once set. For example, I use "Dolby Digital" to decode DD 5.1, Dolby PLII Movie to decode DD 2.0 and Dolby PLII Music to decode PCM 2.0 on my "DirecTV" input. After set up, you just run through all of your inputs and set the sound field decoder to what you want for each audio type, and it will remember that setting and apply it each time its needed..........Now, the funky part of changing the sound field type. When you are ready to set a sound field mode, you of course need to have the source playing some kind of audio and you then use the remote and you have to press AND HOLD one of the 4 green/red/blue/yellow buttons marked music/movie/game/pure and after a couple of seconds of HOLDING down the button, the GUI will display the various sound fields that can be applied to the current audio, and you simply highlight the one you want and press select and the unit will now apply that decoder/sound field to that audio type on that input until you change it. The holding of the button slipped passed me at first, and my blood PSI began creeping into the meltdown zone very quickly. Once I figure it out, all was good.

The only quirk I have found is that while watching DirecTV in "Native ON" the X-2000's volume display would sometimes disappear when I changed between channels that had different video revolutions, like with FOX (720p) to NBC (1080i). This was almost a deal breaker, but I was advised to turn DirecTV's settings to "Native OFF", and set only 1080i & 1080p as my TVs resolutions so that the DirecTV receiver would always send a 1080i signal and it 100% fixed the issue. The X-2000's video processing is better than my Samsung TV's processing, as I have both Spears & Munsil 1/2 test discs, and the X-2000's "Analog Device" video processing chip (ADV8003) passes all of the de-interlacing and scaling tests with flying colors, and just whips the Sammy processor is terms of jaggies and ghosting, so I let it do all of the video processing for both DirecTV and Blu-ray (I set my BD player to output "original resolution", which outputs whatever is on the disc or app).

This unit is a network receiver that needs to be connected via Ethernet cable to the network, and has no wireless option. Also, the firmware update is performed via the network with no USB option. I don't have any internet access where my receiver lives, so what I did was I bought a 50' Ethernet cable for $6 here on Amazon and I plugged it in the back of my receiver, and then coiled it away out of sight. That way, in the event a firmware update is released I can just uncoil the cable and plug it into my modem and perform the update. I have wireless apps (Amazon & Pandora) in my TV and BD player, so I have zero need for my receiver to be connected too. Be aware of this if you are going to rely on the X-2000 as a streaming source, or want to connect to your network.

I have had the following receivers in my house trying to replace my fried Onkyo 709: Onkyo 525 (terrible UI and sound. YUCK) and Harman Kardon 1710 (just kind of weird, not terrible sound, but not close to the X-2000) and finally a Harman Kardon 2700 (see my review on that). The X-2000 sounds incredible, looks great and is easy to use. It seems to run cooler than my 709, and is shallower in depth (13") so it fits better in my entertainment center. The 3 year warranty is great piece of mind, and tells me just how confident Denon is in the IN-Command line of receivers.

I purposely waited 60 days to make this review, and if you are cross shopping any receiver to the X-2000, it's hard to imagine that for the money, there is a better receiver out there.....I know I didn't find one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2013 11:45:02 PM PST
dalus says:
Good review. i am still trying to decide on which receiver to buy. I have reduced my search to these two brands, Yahama and Denon. Series of reviews tends to favor Yamaha's but i can't just get off Denon out of my mind because of its beauty! how is the bass,mid and high compare with competitors. Please be honest.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2013 8:19:50 AM PST
D Bone says:
Thanks for the kind words. I'm a Yamaha guy too, and have owned 3 in my life. I only replaced them due to needed/wanted upgrades like HDMI for example. Knowing what I know having had both Deonon with Audyssey XT and Yamaha with their YPAO, I would chose Denon. It's not a landslide decision though, as Yamaha's dependability and warm sound are also impressive. The one thing, and you hinted to it, is the current Yamaha receivers leave very little to like regarding their peculiar design........They're ugly, there I said it. So, if I had to chose one, I would buy the Denon.

Good luck!

Posted on Dec 22, 2013 8:32:06 AM PST
May I suggest my solution? I purchased an Apple Airport Extreme and located it within 3 feet of my equipment and set it to extend an existing wireless network. The direct cable connections from the router to the devices (BD, Receiver, etc.) work fine and the Airport connects wirelessly to my home network. It also provides a somewhat more powerful signal for my iPad and other wireless devices in the area.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2013 7:17:52 PM PST
Thanks Don.....Very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 12:57:41 PM PST
Chris says:
If both the Denon X2000 and the H/K 2700 were guaranteed 100% reliable which would you choose? It sounds like the H/K was preferred from your review, other than the reliability issue, is that accurate?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 1:03:16 PM PST
D Bone says:
Tough question. If I were going to listen at loud levels, like say -10db master volume or louder, then I would give the edge to the KK 2700, but when listening at lower MV levels, I would give the edge to the X2000 due to Audyssey's Dynamic EQ. If you had to pin me down on one, I guess I say the X2000 wins by a nose.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 1:07:43 PM PST
Chris says:
Would you say the H/K sounded warmer than the Denon? I'm afraid that the Denon paired with the RF-42 ii that i'm getting it may be too bright. What are you thoughts on that?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 3:37:18 PM PST
D Bone says:
I had Klipsch WB-14's / WC-24 and it was a bit bright with the Denon, and less so with the HK. I now have HTD Level TWO towers and surrounds and the Denon brightness has vanished.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›