3.0 out of 5 stars Cool Phone, but NOT fully "unlocked" for AT&T users in USA, August 25, 2010
This review is from: Samsung B2100 Unlocked Quad-Band Phone, Extreme Anti-Shock, Waterproof, Built-in Flashlight, Bluetooth-International Version-Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
It is unfortunate more mobile phones are not made to be waterproof and shockproof with a built-in fm radio, as the Samsung B2100 is. We had high hopes when we purchased this "unlocked" mobile phone through Amazon.com, however, upon receipt we soon realized it was only partially unlocked. We spoke to AT&T Customer Support over the phone, took it to our local AT&T store, followed by taking it to a Best Buy Mobile store, and all three sources, and their multiple representatives all concluded the phone was not fully unlocked. This is a UK based cell phone, and we are US based customers currently on the AT&T network. The phone is unlocked in the sense that we can make and receive phone calls without issue, but not fully unlocked in that the phone does not permit us to send or receive photo messages, nor can we connect to the internet with it. When AT&T and Best Buy Mobile Reps went into the menu settings of the phone, to where they needed to adjust the corresponding tower/network code to remedy these issues, the UK code was grayed out (0.0.00.0) and therefore unchangeable to a US one. I then e-mailed Samsung USA and Samsung UK with no response. AT&T phone based customer support was unable to proceed with any step-by-step instructions, as this UK phone is not in their US database, which is why we then went to our local AT&T store instead, per their request. When our local AT&T store could not help us in any way, despite the best efforts of their entire in-store team, we then proceeded to Best Buy Mobile, who also tried vigilantly, without success to address this issue. We also Googled this issue, and found a few other folks who had these same issues, but nobody seemed to be offering any real solutions. On that note, we even posted our issue on Fixya.com, with no response of any kind. Having exhausted our efforts, today I called Amazon.com who was kind enough to e-mail us the necessary information to begin our full-refund process. It's just unfortunate we could not find a fix for this issue, as I am sure it's out there somewhere, as we would have liked to keep the phone. None of the US phones currently for sale at our local AT&T store or local Best Buy Mobile are said to be waterproof, as this one is, and all of their "military grade" phones are flip-phones, with minimal water resistance.

If you do not care about being unable to send/receive photo messages, or connect to the internet, and just want a durable waterproof phone, this may be the phone for you. There's a "Samsung B2100 Review" currently on YouTube, which I will attempt to link below, showing the phone fully submerged in a tank of water, receiving a phone call, and still working perfectly when they take it back out. Oh, and it has a built-in flashlight too, just in case (no camera flash though).

[...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 11, 2010 6:33:50 AM PDT
jakemelon says:
Have you been able to find another version of the phone somewhere that was fully unlocked?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2010 1:07:13 PM PDT
No, we gave up our efforts with no desire of revisiting.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2010 1:12:47 PM PDT
M. Kwong says:
The phone is fully unlocked and the Internet does work on AT&T with the correct carrier setting. It is not difficult to find it on many Websites.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2010 1:17:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2010 1:19:25 PM PDT
Again, neither AT&T, Best Buy Mobile, or Samsung (who failed to reply) had been able to help in this situation because the settings they needed to change to accommodate this request was grayed out and unchangeable by them in the phone menu.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 4:30:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2011 4:48:03 AM PST
D. Henry says:
Try searching the forums at att.com for "MMS settings" and "unlocked phone" - http://forums.wireless.att.com/ - you should be able to find a thread where someone has provided the settings you need to input into the phone. I bought the same phone for my girlfriend and have been able to successfully send MMS picture messages after having done this.

Here are the Multimedia message settings:

From the menu, navigate to Messages --> (5) Settings --> (1) Multimedia Messages --> (3) Multimedia message profiles.

Hit the left soft key for "Options" --> (3) Create. Here are the settings for each of the fields:

Set name: Media Net
Home URL: http://mmsc.cingular.com
Bearer: GPRS first
Proxy: On
Address: 66.209.011.032
Port: 80
DNS1: 0.0.0.0
DNS2: 0.0.0.0

Then, immediately below DNS2 is "GPRS Settings" - click that and enter the following settings:

Access name: wap.cingular
User ID: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1

The password is case sensitive, so make sure it is in all caps. Once it is all entered, hit the left soft key for "Options" --> (1) Save. Then, at the previous 'Multimedia message profiles' page, hit the left soft key again for "Save" - and you should be all set for MMS.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 7:57:53 PM PST
Gwyn says:
Then why not post a link to those websites? These people said they searched the web.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2011 8:06:10 AM PST
gmmfd1 says:
post the links....I would LOVE to have this phone...I am with att too!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 9:27:15 AM PST
Hey Dude. I would like to buy this phone, but am hesitant because of the "fully unlocked " issue mentioned by above poster .
So if you know a solution why can't you post the Att link here . I checked the "forums.wireless.att.com" you suggested, and its nothing more than your usually confusing "word junk".
either you know the solution or you don't .. If you do then post the link If you don't then quit wasting our time..Thanks

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 6:43:48 AM PDT
scot mackeil says:
has the issue been resolved now?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 6:51:37 PM PST
johnetx says:
You are THE MAN! I've owned this phone for over a year now, and while I have been pleased with its overall performance, that darn "configuration error" really ticked me off when trying to send or receive pictures. I had long ago given up when this morning I came upon your post. I followed your instructions EXACTLY, and within 5 minutes I sent my first picture/message to my daughter. She then sent another one back, both worked just as I'd hoped. Thank you,thank you, thank you!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›