2.0 out of 5 stars Somnolent, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Glad Rag Doll (MP3 Music)
I love T-Bone Burnett and I love Diana Krall, but this cd is like combining steak and ice cream. Some things just can't be fused. The worst part of the album is that the pacing puts me to sleep and the arrangements are so self conscious that they actually annoy me into pushing the forward button. It's a disappointment on several levels. Even the material is weak.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 7:12:47 AM PST
Mark Gatzke says:
I agree completely. A good producer should showcase the talent he's working with as best he knows how and as *unobtrusively* as possible. In this case it is, as you say, like combining steak and ice cream. One might like them both, but certainly wouldn't want them in the same mouthful. Incidentally, I feel the same way about Burnett's work with Jeff Bridges. I wanted to love that album, but Burnett made it impossible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:13:45 PM PST
I wasn't bothered by T-Bone's production on the Bridges project, but he's begun to repeat himself. You're right that a good producer should be a bit less obtrusive. I hate writing this because Burnett is a genius and his positive influence in the recording industry is incalculable.

That said, I think he needs to re-set his own refresh button and go in a new direction. I also don't blame Ms. Krall for taking risks. This experiment just doesn't work for me.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 1:13:46 PM PST
Anonymous says:
good review, i've felt for a few years now the T-Bone thing was getting stale and hokey.. the fact that he would even do a record w/ Jeff Bridges was the last straw to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 4:03:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2012 4:04:47 PM PST
I think T-Bone's production of Jakob Dylan's last solo album was masterful and his studio work with Sam Phillips is perfect. That said, I wish he'd allow a bit more room in the studio for the artist so that the result will be something altogether new. On Rag Doll, I favored the cuts that were pure T-Bone. I'm not sure there was anything one could call a pure "Diana" cut. They are both immense talents and I'm sure they'll produce great material in the future. I think someone like Joe Henry might have had more luck guiding Ms. Krall through Tin Pan Alley. His work on Allen Toussaint's Bright Mississippi is stunning.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (438 customer reviews)

$9.49