3.0 out of 5 stars Controls and more need mucho work-o, June 23, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Bad controls, a lousy time scheme, and you have to jump through hoops to save and fast travel. I can't believe so many 5 star ratings and that it won numerous game of the year awards.

Why do you have to hold the A button to travel fast on a horse, a cart, or running? Why can't they just use the analogue stick: all the way in a direction=fast, part of the way in a direction=slow?

Why do you have to set up a campsite or buy/rent a property in order to save? Why can't we just hit Start > Save like 99% of other games out there?

If there has to be a night/day time scheme, which means stores and characters are only available at certain times, why can't there be Wait command like Fallout 3? How many times have I saved, only to have time shift to where a character is unavailable, forcing me to save again... and again... until time shifted enough to where Sleepyhead woke up?

Speaking of Fallout 3, why not have made the Fast Travel in Redemption just as easy? Point to where you want to go on the map, click A, Yes to fast travel. F'in campsite or track down a transport? Perhaps a campsite wouldn't be too bad if campsites couldn't be "close" to a settlement or road - and "close" sometimes means you have to keep walking and trying until you're no longer too "close."

Why is Marston, so tough in America, so subservient in Mexico? Right off the bat a trio of banditos pick on Marston and he does nothing - I couldn't swallow this garbage so skipped it. Maybe the old gunslinger saved him or something, but why couldn't I just dead eye the trio and shoot 'em all? A little to politically correct for my taste.

And worst of all, the follow-scenes: having to ride behind characters listening to boring chit-chat, and we can't skip these scenes?!

For for twenty bucks as I was able to snatch it up on sale, not too bad a game though. Glad I didn't pay sixty because with the issues above I'd give it a 1 star at that price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 25, 2012 6:39:42 PM PDT
the horse is almost impossible to control, they could have made it easier.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 2:14:15 AM PDT
Angelo M. says:
Nothing in this world is perfect. In my opinion, this game was amazing, flaws and all. It seems like you're nit picking way too much. There are so many positive aspects to this game, why do you only focus on only the negative? I admit, I don't know you, but I'm almost glad I don't because you appear to be an extreme pessimist. At 26, I've been playing video games for many years, I'm confident in saying that this is the most enjoyable game I have ever played. Don't let this review discourage you from playing this game. I appreciated the fact that my horse did not have infinite stamina because it is unrealistic and would take away from the game. It took me about 26 hours to complete the game, and I am actually saddened that I completed the game because it has been such an enjoyable experience. Purchase the game, especially if it's around the $20 price because its a steal compared to whats out there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (324 customer reviews)

$29.99 $23.32