4.0 out of 5 stars Best Licensed Game I've Played, Period!, July 3, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cars 2: The Video Game - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I honestly thought nothing of this game at first. I stay away from any game that is licensed because 9 times out of 10 the game turns out to be pretty poor. Then I saw the IGN review which gave the game a pretty good score. So, we rented it for a day to check it out.

I was pleasantly surprised! There seems to be a pretty wide selection of cars so far, and we haven't even completed the 2nd set of levels yet. The actual gameplay is pretty outstanding. You actually have to change your style of play when you go from a battle race to a normal race, for example. There's also a good amount of "freedom" in the game. You can get pretty creative in finding shortcuts or finding secret passages on some levels, or trying to pull off more tricks, etc.

You also can complete missions with 2 or more players. That's a really nice touch. There's a severe lack of multiplayer games out there. It's nice that you can play every single part of Cars 2 with 2, 3, or even 4 players. What a concept!

What really makes this game worth the buy, however, is the challenge, both from computer and human opponents. Mario Kart seems to be pretty blatant in giving these power ups that the lead player cannot avoid, which is unfair, or seems to slow computer karts down on purpose to give the person that is behind a chance to catch up. In Cars 2, there is hardly any of that, sure, there's the blow-up-the-lead car weapon, but the lead car can still avoid if they have enough energy to shield themselves against it. It's actually pretty cool that I don't get first in every single race, either due to my lack of skill or just some bad luck. It makes me want to come back for more and try to beat it a 2nd or 3rd time, unlike Mario Kart.

My little nitpick, however, are the graphics of the game. I'm not sure if it's the 360 or my TV, but it's difficult to see out very far in order to either shoot a car or plan your next move or turn. This is amplified when the screen is divided into 4 sections. I don't think I have this type of problem in Halo, for example, where I don't have any problems shooting enemies from far away, even without zooming in.

Overall, I'm looking forward to playing again with my family. I might still wait until I can get a used version, but for the most part, it is still worth the price for a new game.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]