4.0 out of 5 stars first one bad out of the box, December 3, 2010
This review is from: Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 Lenses (Black) (Electronics)
I had problems with Amazon and with my new camera, a Pentax K-R kit including 18-55 and 55-300mm lenses.
Order was received as promised. An adapter to allow AA battery use is not included. As yet I cannot find them in the US, and they cost about $35. The included LI battery seemed to charge fast and last about 500 frames. I also bought a class 4 SDHC card and reader as none are included and my SD card reader wouldn't work with the SDHC card.

I was happy to be able to use this over Thanksgiving until I discovered the thumb wheel was malfunctioning. When you rolled the thumb wheel control knob the selected values hopped around randomly instead of changing predictably. It got worse over the next few days and now the camera is now essentially unusable.

Pentax answered their support phone and offered to repair it but recommended just exchanging it since it was a week after purchase and they thought exchange would be faster. But... Amazon wouldn't allow exchange from some unknown reason, the website only allowed me to return it for credit. So I had to repurchase it. Dumb idea.
I should have replaced it from a different seller, but I can't cancel the Amazon order so I'm stuck.
The camera sn was 3819488.

The camera took beautiful pictures, particularly hi ISO such as 3200 when you could get the settings to change correctly. The lenses seemed to be a good value. If I get a good copy of the K-R I think it will be a good camera. It could be just production line problems (the K-R is a new model) but you'd think QC would be tighter on the first production runs to ensure newer products are fully functional.

Crossing fingers...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2010 9:03:11 AM PST
Daniel Grace says:
My camera, also purchased here in the twin-lens kit, has the exact same e-dial issue. Sometimes it's simply sluggish, but most of the time it's completely inaccurate and skips clicks or desired settings go in the opposite direction that I'm scrolling. Amazon also will not offer me a replacement. They've only offered me a refund. Normally that would be fine, but I purchased it during the Cyber Monday sale and anywhere else that the K-r twin-lens kit is available it's roughly $160 more. Getting a refund means that in the end I don't get the product I purchased at the price at which it was advertised. It can be sugar-coated any way Amazon wants to, but that's the end result- I don't get what I paid for.

Amazon- if a product is out of stock and somebody needs to return it then simply offer the option to put them in the front of a queue so that when the product comes back into stock they are first in line to get the replacement. Not everybody wants a refund. I'd rather wait a few weeks in order to get a working replacement for the product I paid to acquire.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 10:54:48 PM PST
now what says:
If you haven't applied for the refund yet you might appeal to customer service for a no-cost replacement. It might work.
I feel for you on the dial issue. Now I'm nervous; hope mine doesn't go out! Almost all the Japanese cameras are assembled somewhere else using (mostly) Japanese-made components; mine says "Assembled in Philippines." I think the Japanese still are rigorous about QC, but elsewhere, I have my doubts. We shall see... I've had good luck getting batteries and related parts from BestBatt.com and BargainCell.com. Li-I batteries and chargers are a fraction of the cost and work just fine. You may want to see what they have. Card reader can be a problem; I broke down and bought an ImageMate All-in-One, which will read many different card types. Figured this would be useful in the future as the cards evolve. So far, zero problems.

Posted on Dec 25, 2010 4:49:28 AM PST
SS says:
There are some users having the same thumb dial issue in my country. I think it is simply resolved by some kind of blower and turning the wheel from end to end. It's a simple contact problem that requires some seasoning.
Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the $749 twin lens deal.....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 10:25:20 AM PST
I had not bought anything from Amazon since 2004 because of my experience with them with trying to get a refund for an item I never received. Customer Service basically was non-reachable and when I did get them, they stated that they could not do anything for me. They only offered me a $20 coupon to use for future purchases which I did not even use. This is the first year I've bought from Amazon again. Knock on wood, so far so good but I see it appears Amazon has not changed its colors with returns, exchanges or lost items in the mail. Good luck to you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›