3.0 out of 5 stars A change for the better?, October 3, 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
If you thumbs down please let me know why, I am interested in your opinions too. Just don't thumbs down because I didn't give it immediately 4 or 5 stars, that is ridiculous.

I give it a 3.5 stars, not 3 stars.

First off, Wolstenholme, one of my favorite bass players to emulate, has an amazing voice. It's not the voice of Muse though; the two songs he wrote, I believe, should have been released separately from The 2nd Law. Other artists that have done similar things, (i.e. Flea, Serj Tankian) released their own works separately under their name, not under their main bands' name.

I am glad Muse is experimenting, I would not want to be hearing songs that sound like Showbiz and Muscle Museum over and over again. The polarity of change in The 2nd Law in relation to their last albums seems greater than their previous steps in progression. What I mean is, the change in Showbiz to Origin of Symmetry seemed proper, along with the other steps they took leading to The Resistance. The change from The Resistance to The 2nd Law is beyond obvious; if you showed these two albums to someone new to Muse, would they be able to tell it is the same band?

Ask yourself this, would you want this to be the first album of Muse to show to someone who has never listened to Muse before?

I love Undisclosed Desires and I like Follow Me and Madness. But would you rather Muse focus more on this genre of music (this kind of electronic feel)? I guess what I'm trying to say I felt a lack of rock in this album. You can argue that Panic Station is rock, because it is, but it's not about Panic Station, it is about this album's overall feel is so different; it makes me uncomfortable to a degree.

With listening to Muse you have to love their soft pieces too. Explorers is a piece I could see going along perfectly with Little Big Planet and one I enjoy listening to. Big Freeze in another song I can relax to; I want to emphasize, I don't hate this album, it's just different.

Another thing, when else have you heard the `F' word used in a Muse album? (You could call them out on the hidden song "Hidden Track" or "YFMF", but that song isn't known about by most people and is just for fun) I know this is a minor thing, but this is a surprise seeing this directly on a Muse album.

Muse has been in my life ever since discovering this band from Guitar Hero 3, which means I got started on Black Holes and Revelations. I only say I wish I knew this band back in 1999, this band, that I thought was small at the time, slowly rose and became my favorite band and still is to this date.

I do not regret buying the deluxe box set to this album, I know the music will grow on me even more with time, but this is how I feel right now. It deviates from their older work too much for real comfort.

This isn't much of a review more than an opinion; then again, all reviews are opinions. You have to right to agree or disagree with them; I would definitely love to discuss in the comments what you think about my opinions and the album as a whole to see what you other Musers think of it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2012 2:24:42 PM PDT
w87b says:
I completely agree on the lacking rock part, it's what I said in my review!

Let's just hope the B sides are as good as they have been in prior albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 2:32:36 PM PDT
John G. says:
Their previous B-tracks are really good, it is a crying shame that some people don't know about them.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 10:08:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2012 8:20:33 PM PDT
Khyron says:
A very fair review and a helpful vote from me, for sure. The thing that struck me most was when you said that this record made you uncomfortable to a degree. That isn't in and of itself a bad thing. Many records, even the pretty good ones, are instantly accessible and recognizable to an artist's fan base. Truly great albums, however (I'm thinking Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper's, Moving Pictures or Angel Dust) stand in such stark contrast to their progenitors that they are not as quickly absorbed into the band's canon. Perhaps this record will find its place for you in the years to come, perhaps not. Either way I respect your willingness to forego the requisite 5 star rating and give your honest opinion.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 7:55:59 PM PDT
Corey S. says:
Why is "lacking rock" a bad thing. I just want to know if the music is good. If the person who is critiquing only sees the rock genre as valid (and can't see the "rock" in other genres), why even critique? That said, I haven't heard the record yet. Pressing play now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:28:49 PM PDT
John G. says:
"Why is "lacking rock" a bad thing." I never stated in my review that lacking rock was a bad thing. I used the word "uncomfortable". This feeling is due to the fact that of the album's music.

And now I quote my review, "...With listening to Muse you have to love their soft pieces too..." To your comment, "...If the person who is critiquing only sees the rock genre as valid..." It's about the album's overall feel, not the specifications of one genre. My review states clearly how I feel about this album. It's not bad, it's just different.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2012 9:53:44 PM PDT
John G. says:
I am still young (18) and have been listening music for only such a short time compared to most people. Muse was first band I truly followed and that started around 5 years ago. Maybe the album five or ten years down the road might even be considered their magnum opus to Musers, but this is right now. I am a college freshman who enjoys a good rock song, but don't get me wrong, I'll listen to all of Muse's works. I got to admit some of my favorite pieces by them are not their rock songs. (i.e. Ruled by Secrecy, Exogenesis Symphony... Bliss is my all-time favorite though.)

All I can say now is, only time will tell...

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 8:24:39 PM PDT
I do not enjoy all of muse albums. This album was one of those but after listening to the album it has grown on me. I also did not like black holes and revelations but kept listening to it and enjoy the tracks. The expectation of muse on this album was for it to sound the same as their old albums but i say it has gone in the right direction. My opinion of muse music and music in general is that it is only enjoyed when you are actually listening to the lyrics/sound and understanding the lyrics/sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:17:27 PM PDT
John G. says:
"...music in general... actually listening to the lyrics/sound and understanding the lyrics/sound." So you bring of the point of the music standing alone, no association with a band? A interesting point. One thing people do when listening to a song for the first time is try to relate it to music that they've heard before. You could say Panic Station is like RHCP or Unsustainable is like Skrillex. The songs standing alone is great music, but then people associate this music with Muse because it is their music.

I guess you could make the argument that a portion of the fans only expect the best from Muse, and if they release anything too different people are going to immediately dismiss the songs, which is highly unfair to the band. I am someone who listens to all of Muse's works, I used to only listen to their popular and rock-feel music. As I listened to their music more it showed me that rock-music isn't the only kind of music out there.

"I do not enjoy all of muse albums..." Each album has it's place, and so does this one. This might be their magnum opus or weakest album ever, it's for the fans to decide. The progression you say "...gone in the right direction..."; it is all opinions. They might be on the right track to some people or completely off the rails to others, or somewhere in between. It is all opinions.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:33:17 AM PDT
Great review man. I completely concur with your results. I just finished my review and I believe many fans have the same issue in mind. Great way to put it in words. Better then me. :P

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:11:38 AM PST
Adam Oliver says:
I was surprised by the 'F' word, as well. I'ts really no big deal for me, but I generally play my music around other (including younger siblings), so now I have to be careful when playing this album around them. I don't think I would negate a star because of that, though. The only tracks I generally enjoy are 1-2 and 5-8. I am a bit disappointed by the dubstep songs and the songs sung by Chris Wolstenholme. Muse gives a certain feel to the vocals and type of music, and most of the songs on this album fall short of that 'feel'.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (536 customer reviews)

Reviewer