2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good and sounds canned..., April 10, 2007
This review is from: Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System (Personal Computers)
I bought this one because of the good reviews here and I was very...very disaponted. It has more bass compared with most of the other speakers of the similiar size but the problem is that the music is twisted (in order to empasize bass) sounding like from a can. I returned it and bought a Klipsch Promedia 2.0 and there is simly no comparison!

It's not fair to reqire this kind of tiny speakers to perform, but the Bose's problem is to use a price tag to impress the buyers in stead of focusing on quality.

I believe some of the reviewers here are just new to home audio. I still remember how I was excited when upgrading my OEM dell speakers to a entry-level 3.1 system for the first time.

Well, if you do not believe me, just buy a pair of Klipsch ProMedio 2.0 and see for yourself if Bose worths even $50.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2007 9:32:35 AM PDT
K. M. Orbell says:
Totally agree here. The compression and muddiness that results when you put any kind of bass through the Bose speakers is just nasty. Returned them in favour of a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system which was more expensive at $150 but absolutely worth it.

Posted on Oct 4, 2007 11:34:16 AM PDT
Yes, using industry buzz words like 'canned' makes you a smart person. "I notice that the high end seems a little compressed" means noting, but morons and idiots will be impressed. (notrice the sarcasm).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2008 7:55:57 AM PST
buzzwords or not Christopher, the reviewer's experience with this Bose hunkajunk is very typical of anyone who actually compares it to a REAL speaker system like the Klipsch.

There is NO comparison. Bose makes mediocre crap that sells mainly due to saturation advertising, pretty looks, and consumer inexperience/ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2008 4:33:56 AM PDT
Y says:
Bose makes fine products, especially in the construction/installation markets. Just because they are covering a wider range of budgets than Klipsch doesn't mean they're crap. I'd say price-wise (i got these for 100$), they are definitely worth what they cost, that's it. Even though it's true that at low levels, they're bass-heavy, and at high levels the compression is really obnoxious, they still sound better than 90% of PC speakers out there, and they're quite small, which believe it or not, can be a factor in some setups.

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 7:15:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2009 7:22:19 PM PDT
Bose does suck. "look at us, we're the best, we're neat, we're cool!" the average buyer of Bose will believe anything they see in advertising. The average listener of Bose probably couldn't tell the difference between an 8-bit 80-kbps mono mp3 and the same artist performing live in their living room. If you like Bose, and are reading this, you're probably scratching your head and saying "what's mono mean?" or "do I have any mp3s that have bits?" LOL! No highs no lose, must be Bose. In this case, muddy overpowering bass, dead middle, and almost half way acceptably bad highs, must be Bose. Save your money and get one of those old cardboard cheerleader cones to amplify your computer sound. They're one up on these junk.

Let me say though, they do work ok, if you spend 30 minutes adjusting the equalizer in iTunes, but I have years of experience with audio so I know what I am doing. The average listener would have to pay someone like me to do it for them. So for the average listener the iTunes equalizer workaround is a moot point. Then it only works with iTunes and not any other sound source from your computer so if you can get it to work, it's extremely limited in it's usefulness.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2009 7:24:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2009 7:24:33 PM PDT
Obviously sound quality is not in your vocabularity, Y. C'mon say it with me S-ow-nd kwah-lih-tee. Can you also say "Bo-ws duz-nt hav eh-nee"

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 12:56:19 PM PDT
J. Priest says:
I saw a comment on the series one that i have to agree with. There seem to be a lot of reviews bashing Bose declaring them almost unfit for human ears. While i am not an acoustics major or something like that, i can tell the difference from crappy, low end headphones and speakers from the sound bose puts out. I think you are having such problems with them you are miss using because my father got the series one, which had even more problems, about a year ago and loves them. With any set of speakers you buy if you turn it up enough the sound quality will distort some unless you want to shovel out thousands of dollars for them. I do not know if any of you have actually tried Bose or if you are just trying to be Non-conformist but I own their in-ear headphones and find them to be superibly comfortable and have incredible and clear sound for their size.
The speakers are meant to be for your own use and for on your desk. You cannot buy an apple expecting it to taste like a coconut. While i do not own them myself, i have tried my fathers and tested the ones on display in stores and am planning on getting some for my own.

And for those of you that are trying to bash Bose, having reasons other then saying they are an evil corporation and having non-conflicting vocabulary (mediocre-crap?) would make your reviews seem much more credible. I am a Bose fan, and i find their products of high quality for their price. I am a musician and prefer a sound as if i am sitting in the same room rather then overwhelming bass. And no Chris, i did not scratch my head at your technical terms, and disagree with them completely. If you such an audio expert, why did you get the desktop speakers compared to Bose surround sound or something that better suites your needs?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2009 10:53:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2009 10:55:09 PM PDT
"The average listener of bose can't tell the difference between an 8 bit 80 kbps mono mp3 and the same artist performing live in their living room"

That is probably the dumbest thing I've read all year, and I read ALOT!
You have some displaced anger issues that you are taking out on bose, chill out, smoke a cigarrette or something and chill out. You seem like this person that I know that hates Budweiser with a passion simply because they are number 1.

Do your years of experience with audio, by any chance, consist of long hours on Everquest and reruns of The Incredible Hulk?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2010 7:24:40 PM PDT
Rob Aldo says:
I don't get all the bose bashing, like u r on a mission, maybe some of us don't know allot about 'sound' but we know what we like, we know what we hear, the eduardo guy comes off really poorly, I wont read anything he writes now, it's too bitchy, I am thinking of getting these, I almost did earlier with jr but they wont ship here. Some say too much bass, others no bass, so much for reviews.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (764 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $89.99