Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now DOTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine for 2 months,, September 7, 2010
This review is from: Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor (Soft Strap) (Electronics)
But now it's completely unreliable, I mountain and road bike 4 times per week, doing intervals for which I really need the hearth rate monitor. But if it's not tuned in from the beginning of my training it simply keeps it over 200bpm for hours or actually under 100bpm. I have tried creme, I soak it every time and sometimes it works fine but others NOT AT ALL... So I'm trying to find an alternative.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2011 5:44:54 AM PST

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 8:13:25 PM PDT
John Giglio says:
I am having this same problem. Garmin had me change the battery but it doesn't seem to have helped.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 11:33:07 AM PDT
G. Stahl says:
Similar problem here. I have two straps worked fine for 6 months for the last few months I have been fighting sporadic data. the HR goes through the roof and stays there (like 220+). If I reseat (lift up on the strap and put it down again) the HR usually comes down to what I would expect. Seems to happen mostly when I am pushing pretty hard. Does not happen right away on rides or runs. Happens when running on the tread mill where is never occurred previously and also happens riding my MTB way out in no where (no power lines, etc.). I have also changed the battery which did not help and switched between a 405CX and an Edge 800, both show the issue. I have two straps which now both seem to have a similar problem. Trying gel next to see if maybe I have less salt thus conduct less than previously (crazy but I have been using HRMs for many years and never had this level of abnormal readings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 8:03:45 PM PDT
Erik says:
I saw a guy on another forum post that the ANT+ monitors can act this way because of static from shirts/jerseys interfering. He said he sprayed his shirts with some kind of anti-static spray and it took care of it and lasts through more than one washing of the jersey. It is something worth trying.

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 7:12:47 AM PDT
jackie dee says:
I've had mine for just under a year and it rarely has functioned correctly. I'm wondering if I buy a new strap and receiver if It'll work any better. I love other aspects of the Garmin 405cx because I run trail but would love to have an accurate HR monitor.
Paul from GA

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 9:34:05 PM PDT
VFX pro says:
Wow! That has been my experience too. Funny you mention 2 months. I've had my strap replaced by Amazon and both occasions it lasted for about 2 months and starts going nuts on the readings. Wished it worked the same as it did the day I took it out of the box. I feel as if there is an inherent design flaw.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 9:36:39 AM PST
I have noticed that if you don't unsnap both sides of the transmitter from the strap after every use sweat that gets into the contacts can take a very long time to evaporate. This in turn can lead to corrosion of the electrical contacts and erratic transmitter operation. I had one strap become unreliable from snap corrosion on the side that I always left attached. Since removing both sides after exercise I have not had a recurrence of the problem. Toweling off the transmitter connections after use probably wouldn't hurt either but I generally don't bother. Once the contacts corrode, even if you clean them with vinegar or emery cloth, once the protective chrome plating is damaged they fail again quickly, so best not to let them corrode in the first place.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 8:20:36 AM PST
Kevin B. says:
Mine worked great for 45 hours of use spread over 3 calendar months. My resting heart rate is in the upper 50's, and I average around 130 for a long ride. One day I put this device on and my resting was 198. Couldn't get it to read correctly despite all the urban myths about contact and static etc. I replaced the battery, and it worked again for 2 rides. Now reports a resting rate of 138 when it is actually 52. This is stationary, with no shirt on, and good wet contact with my skin. Do I think this product was worth one dollar per hour of use? No.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 2:02:55 PM PST
I totally agree. I bought this one to replace the strap that came with my 310XT because it was all stretched out from use and washing's. It was still functional, but I had to keep adjusting it. Anyway, I got this new one and it seemed to work fine for a little while. Then I noticed that my heart rate was erratic when I downloaded my runs. So far it has been consistent with unreliable data. I tried correcting it by using the gel for heart rate monitors, but that didn't help. After awhile, I took the transmitter off of this soft strap and attached it to my old strap to see if it was the transmitter. It isn't. I get good readings with the new transmitter on the old strap. So, the problem is with the strap design itself.

I also don't like the side clasp. It was pinching me and leaving bruises on my long runs.

Anyone know where I can find the original strap for the 310XT? The one that snaps in the front?

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 11:06:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 8:33:40 AM PDT
W. Johnson says:
I too had the same problem with the high heart rate. I learned that the strap needs hand washing on a regular basis. I tried that with the same result. Then I looked at the issue with intermittent connection from the snaps. To resolve the issue I put a small amount of deoxit on a cue tip and rubbed the connections on both snaps on both sides. I let this "soak" for and hour or so, I don't actually remember how long, and then took another cue tip and "scrubbed" all sides of the connections. I then hooked one side of the monitor to the belt and spun the monitor around a few times. I then unsnapped that side and then did the same thing on the other side. Problem cured. Obviously the sweat leaves deposits that need to be cleaned off the monitor not just the strap. Cleaning both does the job.

Update: 10 workouts and two weeks later the strap is working just fine without further treatment. I rinse the strap whenever it starts to look wrinkled on the back of the strap which might be an indicator that the body crud is accumulating and failure might be soon.

Update 3/27/2012: Problem started occuring again. Got out the Deoxit again. This time I just applied let sit a couple of minutes, wiped it off. Problem cured again. This is definitely a design, flaw as I regularly wash the strap but it only lasts for a month or so and the connections corrode again. Corrosion should be expected, therefor the design should have accomodated this. If you don't want to have this hassle and don't mind the hard strap, then avoid this strap. A small bottle of Deoxit with a brush, will last for years. It can also be used for other things like bad bad battery connections in other electronics. I would gladly pay more for a quality strap.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›