3.0 out of 5 stars Michael Bay's Dead Space, February 6, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Space 3 (Video Game)
What was once wandering alone through tight corridors of a ship that went dark, is now filled with explosions and action scenes. This is like a big-budget summer blockbuster movie. Its huge, pretty, and fun. Now let me go into detail with what I find wrong with it...

Its easier. Ammo is now universal. Pick ups are now types of metals and gels.
I don't like the weapon crafting. Too many options complicates things. In the previous titles I would LOVE finding benches to upgrade my things. Now, I just don't care. So many options and menus, combine resources to do this, blah blah. I find myself skipping benches very often. The game is easy enough to skip them too. I miss the stores. I thought they worked so well.

Lights, camera, action! After playing the first 4 chapters, I returned to Dead Space 1 for comparison for a friend. The difference couldn't be more obvious. It's just not the same game.
Ellie somehow got her eye back? Whatever. None of the characters are interesting enough to care about anyway. Not even Issac anymore. In the first two games he was battling with his (in)sanity. In dead space 3, he is just boring. I don't even know what or why he is doing what he is doing half the time. It was actually a little hard to play because I would get bored so quickly, with the story. Killing necromorphs is as fun as ever!

Suspense is sparse. Like I said, no more wandering alone through dark corridors. This time you are on a wide open big bright white planet. So scary. Humans play a bigger part as villains. Ducking and shooting at people? What?
My friend called it call of duty. He said he could play this no problem, he would be great at it, but DS1, not so much.

A love triangle... in Dead Space..

Sure, its Dead Space at its backbone, but like the bionic man it has parts from other places (COD, Gears of War, Borderlands, Lost planet). Bigger is not better. Quit trying to be like everyone else.

EA is terrible. They just want money. Microtransations (1$-5$) help you upgrade quicker. Remember free cheat codes in any game? Soon to be history. There's maybe five to ten pieces of day one DLC all at about 5 dollars each, obviously already on the disc. You just have to pay to unlock it.

Dead Space 3 is made for a wider audience. Casual gamers will buy this. Its understandable though. They sold out a little. They lured in the mainstream audience and now they're charging for extra stuff that should be free.
It's all about the money.

P.S. Upgrading weapons is more fun in new game+

Verdict: Core fans such as myself will be alienated. Casual gamers will love it. All in all it is a fun, good game. I just suggest renting it or finding it used. An open mind is needed.

EA is Dead Space's biggest problem.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2013 8:45:18 AM PST
LegendaryMan says:
I couldn't agree more. It is definitely lacking suspense in a lot of areas. All in all I think it is a decent game though!

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 8:49:14 AM PST
C-Dizzle says:
Nice review - but I think you mean "wandering" not "wondering" in your first sentence.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 9:08:29 AM PST
Valerio says:
Man you know Visceral games MUST try something else, they can't always do the same things... i think they found an amazing way to make the third game of the franchise cause it reminds me a lot of "The Thing", which is not bad :)

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 9:38:51 AM PST
Dionis Jaime says:
I hate when I'm right. I Knew this was going to happen

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 10:07:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 10:07:59 AM PST
R. J. Thayer says:

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 1:31:37 PM PST
asdf says:
Ellie had a fake eye or something put in. I've only played like 10 minutes and I learned that. It was in Isaac's Journal in his apartment. at the very very beginning

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 8:17:38 PM PST
Bean says:
I was wondering about Ellie's eye too, but then I remembered the screwdriver sized needle Issac took to the eye at the end of Dead Space 2 and it made more sense. At least they gave her bigger cans and a nice bootayyyyy to go along with it! I guess its not far fetched to think they may do eye replacement that far into the future. I didn't like the open planet too much, and EA does squeeze every red cent out of everything, but all in all I think its a great game.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 5:11:34 PM PST
meat chunks says:
How dare you call it Michael Bay crap!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 11:36:12 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 17, 2013 9:31:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2013 4:38:09 AM PDT
J Zhang says:
"Core fans such as myself will be alienated."

Agreed!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (347 customer reviews)

$19.99 $17.49