5.0 out of 5 stars The Next Generation, March 22, 2013
This review is from: Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 12MP Digital Camera with 10x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Silver) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I have just finished taking my new Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS camera through a lengthy shakedown cruise. I have learned a number of things about it and will share my findings as clearly as I can.

You should know that I have far more digital cameras than one person should own. My experience with them over the years has given me some degree of confidence in what I say about the Canon ELPH 330HS. This is my second Canon camera. I also own a Canon PowerShot SX230 HS which is similar in several ways.

I am an avid amateur travel photographer and my remarks are influenced by using my cameras extensively for that purpose.

I hope the following observations will help you make a decision about the Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS.

Pros:

* The camera is quite small and a true pocket dweller.
* Mine is silver in color and it looks great.
* It takes excellent pictures with the AUTO setting, but there are many options for those who think they can do better manually.
* It has an extensive of list of shooting modes for every situation.
* It has face recognition along with blink and smile shooting features.
* The low light capacity of the camera is outstanding.
* 12.1 megapixels put a lot of detail in the pictures.
* The 10x optical zoom is plenty and the anti-shake feature keeps them crisp.
* The image stabilization feature works very well and it is automatic.
* Close-up shots are beautiful.
* The WiFi feature is outstanding technology and that makes this camera special.
* I use the WiFi in my ELPH 330 HS for wirelessly transferring photos to both iOS devices and PC computers. That is amazing.
* The camera stores images on SD memory cards so pictures can be shared with a computer that way too.
* Using the WiFi one can also upload photos directly to social networks or email.
* I used the free Apple app Camera Window to connect with my iPod 5g and it worked better than the Canon suggestions found in the DVD instruction manual.
* Paring with a PC computer is a bit tricky, but it can be done by ordinary mortals.
* The display window on the camera is large and bright.
* The 330HS movies are excellent and there are a number of shooting options available.
* There is even full HD video in stereo sound available.
* The fit and finish are very good and that means this is a solid high quality camera.

Cons:

* Setting up the WiFi feature is not all that easy even though some of it is automatic.
* WiFi photo transfer is somewhat slow, but no problem.
* The camera controls are not made for large fingers.
* I miss the manual shooting mode wheel--poking around on screen based options is too slow to be useful if scenes, locations and objects change rapidly.
* The instruction manual on the provided DVD is confusing for setting up WiFi.
* The Hybrid movie feature is strange and seems to have limited purpose.
* I have yet to determine what the body of this camera is made of. It seems very light in weight which suggests plastic, but maybe aluminum.
* One can get bogged down and confused by the myriad of options available and it is difficult to find the way back out of unwanted settings. There is a way to re-set everything just in case.

That is about all of the first impression information I can offer. I plan to carry my new ELPH 330 HS to Europe later in the spring and hope to take advantage of the WiFi features for sending photos back home to friends and relatives while I am traveling abroad.

UPDATE:

I have just returned from two weeks in Great Britain and almost 700 photos taken with my Canon ELPH 330 HS and I was very satisfied with the how it performed. This little camera did everything I asked of it. Transferring all of those pictures to my iPad and to my Windows 7 laptop via WiFi was a perfect addition to the many other features. I am even more impressed with this camera after putting it to a very rigorous test. I bumped the camera around a lot on our trip and without a case on it. I even dropped it once and it kept on ticking. As a travel camera it is the best of the bunch as far as I am concerned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2013 9:34:51 AM PDT
E. Cruz says:
I'm very interested in the Wifi feature and that's the sole reason why i'm going to pick up this camera. What i'd like to to is transfer photos from the camera to my iphone and then post those to facebook or email them to family members. Since you also have an iphone could you please tell me how long it takes to transfer one photo from the camera to your phones camera roll, and i'm also interested in the number of button presses it takes on both the camera and iphone. thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 10:43:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2013 10:45:11 AM PDT
You asked about the number of presses it takes to upload photos from the Canon ELPH 330 HS to an iPhone. I have an iPod 5g and not an iPhone. I presume the two devices are similar in how they behave.

As to the presses; It takes two or three to open the WiFi window on the camera and select the iPhone option if more than one device is registered.

One press/tap to activate the CameraWindow app on the phone and one to bring all of the photos up for viewing then a couple more to select the photos to be uploaded.

That adds up to six or so, but the whole process is completed in seconds--not minutes. It is only a little bit slow compared to a hard wired hook up for the purpose or reading an SD card in a computer.

Once the ELPH 330 HS and your iPhone are configured and paired the time involved is really not excessive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2013 11:35:57 AM PDT
E. Cruz says:
thank you for the thorough reply. sounds like the process is painless once its setup.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2013 8:58:29 PM PDT
Perry says:
What about Android phones and Windows Based systems as I have Win 7. Or can't it work with those? That would be a "deal killer."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 8:06:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2013 8:07:30 AM PDT
I am not sure how it all works, but Canon says it is possible to use the WiFi feature on the Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS with Android devices. There is more information for you on the following link:

The DVD that comes with the camera will guide you through setting up your PC computer to work with the camera. That is a bit tricky, but if I can do it with my Windows 7 computer, most people can.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 1:34:23 PM PDT
Perry says:
Thank you. I thought so, but wasn't sure. 100% answered my question.

Posted on Apr 23, 2013 3:01:45 PM PDT
Hi, could you tell me the camera case you bought for this model? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 3:16:15 PM PDT
I just bought an over the counter small device case. The brand I purchased was Tamrac, but I think any brand will do. There is a Case Logic case for sale on Amazon.com for $4.95 and that should work just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 11:20:07 AM PDT
Thanks, I tried the case logic in a store and it was to small

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 12:30:07 PM PDT
I am sorry the Case Logic brand did not work for you. There are other brands out there that will surely be large enough.

Some mobile phone cases are a possibility too.

Good luck.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Richard L. Steiner
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: OREGON United States