Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

5.0 out of 5 stars For Entertainment Purposes . . ., February 19, 2010
This review is from: The Rocker (Born to Rock Edition) (DVD)
THE ROCKER has been berated by a number of reviewers, one of whom stated something to the effect that Rainn Wilson lacks the substance to carry off his lead role. As a 40+-year rock veteran, I respectfully disagree.

OK. So I disagree, and I'm NOT really respectful. What do you want? This is a fun film, meant to entertain, not to ride the red line on the raunch scale. If you want a "rocker education," read the book I'm writing on real rock road travel in the '70s and '80s. Jack Kerouac couldn't cut it, folks. By 1974, he'd have bailed out the side door of our red, unairconditioned Dodge Maxi-Van halfway between Memphis and Tunica, Mississippi, heading down Highway 61. No Beat Generation road novel can capture what it was really like to wear the changes of the 1960s and gypsy your way through the '70s into position as "Top Band at The Varsity Club, just off Cherry Street in Helena, Arkansas."

But Fish gets it. Wilson's performance in THE ROCKER embodies a sort of "blood knowledge," if you'll pardon my quoting D. H. Lawrence, of a musician's paying dues with back-breaking work, too little sleep, way too much beer, and still loving it. Trust me. In the rock business, you never "work at nothing all day."

Spending years as a rock musician doesn't lead one to grow up, either. My former band mates? We Facebook. We're all still "Fish" in one way or another.

As THE ROCKER, Wilson captures the essence of Fish--of all of us--and brings him to life. Let's not forget: THE ROCKER is a comedy. Never growing up? That's more in the tragedy line, but THE ROCKER addresses this magical Peter Pan stance, which few of us rock vets ever lose. We're all crazy, and Rainn Wilson renders that mostly harmless insanity into something that even I can laugh at. As one of my former mates always said of us rockers, "There's one good thing about being crazy. You never have to worry about losing your mind!" Fish is THERE.

My only complaint about the "Born to Rock" edition is its exclusion of the complete bit with Pete Best. Those few seconds mean a great deal to rockers of my generation. I've seen the out-take, and I wish it were at least set up as an a bonus feature on this DVD. Even without that option, THE ROCKER: "Born to Rock Edition" still earns its full five stars.

No, you won't find authentic rock word choice in this film. You won't find the outrageous practical jokes bands play on each other just because they can. THE ROCKER is not an X-rated venture into that world. It's a comedy. Remember the theatrical mask with the smile?

If you're so slick that you're too hip to sit back and have a laugh with THE ROCKER, you might benefit from knowing that not all the musical "big fish" (pun intended) are decent players, singers, or songwriters. Thousands of bar bands blast some of these acts off the stage. Sure, the business is a "not what you do, but whom you know" operation. Then again, sometimes you're too good not to be noticed. These issues, too, are addressed in THE ROCKER. Me? I was ahead of my time. Doesn't matter. I'm still rocking. I'm still kicking butt. I'll never grow up, and I'll never have to worry about losing my mind.

Yes, the real world, for real rockers, is "soul-crushing." THE ROCKER lifts that weight, even if only for a little while. Every performer in THE ROCKER does his/her share of that lifting. Let go and laugh. You'll feel better. And if you're not a rocker, Rainn Wilson offers you a thoroughly entertaining armchair roadtrip--no dues required.

A. Long
(Check Amazon's book section for IMAGES OF AMERICA: HOLLY SPRINGS)

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2014 2:55:52 PM PST
Wow Varsity Club, Helena and the 70's, yeah, I was there!! In a band called CLIC, with a blues Singer named Cyrus Hayes. We played the Varsity off and on for several years. To say the least, it was wild times for sure! We also worked Fayetteville, Ar, I think it was called the Gaslight in the basement of a hotel there...but so many roads traveled, places been, hard to remember them all.I miss those days!!! Heck I was talking to an old band-mate recently that he reminded me of a couple of major acts we opened for, honestly I had forgot about, after all it was the 70's, they tell me I had fun..LOL... is who I am.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2014 10:03:20 PM PST
A. Long says:
Well, hello, Michael!

Oh, yeah--wild times in the '70s, for sure! We actually played that Fayetteville club in the hotel basement, too. I think it was called The Gaslight, but memorytrix DO take their toll! I do remember that it was cold as all get-out in F'ville, there was snow on the ground, and that it was so long ago that Wayne Yates was coaching Memphis Tiger Basketball. And before we left to go back to Memphis, I snuck a chunk of Limburger cheese onto the dash of our big bob truck--right by the heater vents. Of course, I was driving our other vehicle. Anything for a laugh on a road trip.

Helena was sort of a Montage home port, although we were always based in Memphis (didn't play Mem much. No frat money, squiffy clubs, etc.). I was the only native Memphian in the band. Everybody else, at least until '77, was from Arkansas. Right before Christmas, we lost our first "band family" member: Evan Hankins, who was playing bass when I joined Montage early in 1971, passed away from a massive coronary at his Pensacola, FL, home. His first cousin is my daughter's fiancé's father, so Evan and I would've been in-laws. See our FB page MONTAGE: A MEMPHIS BAND FOR THE AGES.
I'm going to look at your link. We sure chewed a lot of the same dirt, that's for sure!
Alice Delavigne Long