2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT Jerry Butler at his best, October 3, 2005
This review is from: The Best Love (Audio CD)
Sorry Bradley Briggs, that's definitely not Jerry Butler at his best! It seems by 1980 Jerry Butler lost the sparkle and funk of his 1976 "Love's on the Menu" album and the fabulous groove on his joint album with Thelma Houston. Once you experienced these, it's hard to settle for anything less. I am confident in his huge catalogue there are some more pearls like these.I wish I knew them all and they were not out of print...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2006 2:04:48 AM PDT
Not only is Jerry Butler in peak vocal form here with the beauty and richness of his vocal tones completely stunning and hypnotic, but we have great material plus first-rate arrangements with production from Gamble/Huff that is their very finest! Either your sound equipment needs updating or you just don't really appreciate great singers at their absolute peak...give it another listen when you are in a relaxed and mellow mood and you will be taken to musical heaven. Best wishes to you and enjoy the music...that is what it is for especially when its this great!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2007 12:59:14 AM PST
Marcel Wild says:
Well, tastes differ. I assume you know the cd "Love's on the menu" and the ThelmaHouston - Jerry Butler collaboration that I'm referring to, and you'd agree that these sound "different" (let's not argue about better or not) than the "The best love". I see from your reviews you're knowledgeable about the tempi passati of soul music, so why don't you give me some hints to Jerry Butler albums more in the style of the two mentioned ones?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2008 9:10:14 AM PDT
Great music is great music, taste differing have nothing to do with it...any Gamble-Huff produced sets are classic by Jerry and for a double treat I recommend the great 2-fer "Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You"/"The Best Love" available now on Import. The "Thelma-Jerry" duets are hard to find but I have mine and it is a true masterpiece! Two of music's greatest yet sadly underexposed but adored by those appreciate the finest & they both clearly are!!! Check out "Throw You Down' or "A Woman's View" by Thelma...great singing!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2008 8:04:10 AM PDT
Marcel Wild says:
Thanks Bradley for agreeing that the Thelma-Jerry duets are about as good as it gets in soul music. From Thelma's solo albums I only have the gorgeous "sunshower" on LP but would like to complete my catalogue - but Amazon.com stopped delivering to South Africa! If I ranked the pleasure factor of the black ladies I listen to regularly in three categories it would be(since I'm unable to differentiate within categories I use alphabetical order):
1) Thelma Houston, Gladys Knight, Valerie Simpson
2) Bettie Davis, Aretha Franklin, Millie Jackson, Chaka Khan, Patti Labelle
3) Cindy Crawford, Gloria Gaynor, Whitney Houston, Evelyn King,Vivian Reed, Diana Ross, Tina turner, Deniece Williams, Precious Wilson

What would be your ranking folks?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 11:55:49 AM PST
Marcel if you scan through my review site you will see I have a vast appreciation of great soul singers and luckily have seen most live in concert being an active concert goer since my teens in the great musical sixties. "The Best Love" is on a two-fer with "Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You" and these great recordings are timeless Gamble/Huff productions and we will never see the likes of this kind of greatness again...these rank with the great Jean Carne, Phyllis Hyman, Billy Paul productions from this period and they are collections I have enjoyed endlessly over the years...enjoy the music!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 11:04:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 11:06:30 AM PDT
Marcel hope all is well in South Africa...how is delivery by Amazon over there these days? Miki Howard is another great "Unsung" singer, "Femme Fatal" a riveting collection I think you would derive lots of pleasure from...1989 "Miki Howard" with hits "Until You Come Back To Me" (great Aretha remake is amazing!) & the riveting "Love Under New Management" are two awesome collections I play over and over...lately enjoying phenomenal English Import "Thelma Houston: The Mowest Years" recorded right after "Sunshower" masterpiece...collection is a must-have! Take care & enjoy the music, Bradly

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2014 10:12:10 PM PDT
Hello... I just want to say that I agree with you. In my review of Jerry's Philadelphia Sessions CD, I wrote that I thought that this album was Jerry's best work post-Mercury. But there is one thing I have never known: Do you happen to know which version of the title tune was released as a single, charting at #49 R&B? I missed it at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2014 10:42:01 AM PDT
David this & "Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You" is Jerry in peak form along with amazing Gamble/Huff production the ultimate showcase for the legendary extraordinary singer who remains one of my all time favorites...on an Import "The Best Love" is doubled with "Nothing" and play this collection all the time, it was up tempo version released as a single but sadly like so many of those incredibly great Gamble/Huff 70's releases radio didn't pick up on them, so it was just fans who enjoyed great works of Jean Carn, Dee Dee Sharp and others brilliantly produced by the great pair who also created stellar works with Nancy Wilson & Dusty Springfield in the early 70's.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2015 9:44:11 PM PDT
Bradly, it's been more than a year on, but thank you for your response! Somehow, I did not get a notification that you had replied... And thanks for letting me know about the single release. I thought that either version of the song, "The Best Love," was good enough to have been released as a single.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›