Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch - didn't vibrate ME awake, but neither did the Timex equivalent, June 11, 2013
This review is from: Casio Men's W735H-1AVCF Super Illuminator Watch With Black Resin Band (Watch)
I love getting up early, and would prefer not to wake my wife (or bunk-mates when I'm camping w guys). A vibration alarm makes sense. So I purchased the Timex T49851 Expedition, along with the Casio equivalent, the W735H-1AVCF. This is a review of both. They are within dollars of one another.

LOOKS - Personally I think the Timex looks more modern, more "socially acceptable" if you're inclined to wear it in many situations. The Casio is a great G-Shock-like look. Whatever criteria Casio places upon naming a watch a G-Shock, this watch is not. Still, it looks tough and I would think it is tough enough.

WEIGHT - Both watches are lightweight - the new durable resins simply do not require weight for strength. Don't despair over lightweight with either.

DISPLAY - The display on the Timex is much larger and all functions are easier to see, although the smaller LCD digits of the Casio are bolder. Still, I prefer the Timex because I never had to squint at little icons or labels.

OPERATION AND PROGRAMMING - Both are fine. You fiddle with them, you read a little of the manuals, you'll do fine. The Timex functions with Timex functionality, the Casio with Casio functionality. I do prefer the Casio's instant changeover to another function when you press a button. The Timex will, for example, display "CHRONO" and then go into the chrono mode. No biggee.

ALARMS AND FEATURES - The Timex has more, so many more in fact that you have the option to hide some of them (which I did, although I still kept more readily available than were offered on the Casio).

WAKING YOU UP - They differ here. The Casio beeps (or vibrates, OR COMBINATION) - and the vibration is 7 vibrations, and the beep is pretty loud. The Timex (I returned it, so I am speaking from recent memory) vibrates 5 times and then a short while later (sort of like a reminder) vibrates 5 times again. I do not think the Casio provides for a combination vibrate/beep event. Another point to note is that on the Timex in combo mode, the vibration goes off first, giving you a chance to awake and shut it off prior to the beeping (waking maybe you and folks around you).

FRUSTRATION FOR ME - I sleep like an appliance unplugged from the wall. I wore both watches to sleep (different nights, and/or set them for different times). NEITHER successfully woke me (by vibration only) out of a sound sleep. There's a new Casio being offered (more costly) called the GD350. It has a vibration alarm. I do not expect it to be a whole lot more vibration-effective than this Casio, which I returned. Perhaps I am wrong in that expectation. I do still like the potential to quietly vibrate me into some notification DURING THE DAY, when I am around folks, so the vibration alarm remains a nice feature, on either watch.

BATTERY LIFE - Here's where the Casio wins hands-down. The Casio tells us it has a TEN YEAR battery. I LOVE that! The Timex is likely a year or two or three, depending upon how many times you ask it to vibrate, beep, etc. Ten years is a wonderful thing for a watch battery, and if longevity of function is your priority, the Casio wins hands-down. BTW - the new Casio GD350 says the battery is good for 5 years. Still pretty excellent. All of the watch instructions tell you battery life is based upon usage of function.

MY BOTTOM LINE - I am wearing the Timex. I returned the Casio. They are both great watches. I still wish a vibrating alarm watch could wake ME up, but likely it would need to be 110 volt-powered, plugged into the wall, activating a kitchen blender motor strapped to my wrist.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2014 3:53:47 PM PDT
Early in your review you explain you returned the Timex..later you explained the Timex is the one you are wearing (you returned the Casio).. So..which one are you actually wearing?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2014 4:14:13 PM PDT
Wigglesworth says:
So sorry. My bad. That one text line in my review had the names reverses. I in fact kept the TIMEX and returned the CASIO. I am very pleased with the TIMEX and would buy it again. My only personal gripe is that I sleep so sound the vibration is useless to awake me, although it does function as a great silent alarm during meetings, etc., when I am awake and don't want something beeping. Great watch. I've corrected my review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›