2.0 out of 5 stars Customer service non-existent, November 18, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's WV58DA-1AV "Waveceptor" Atomic Sport Watch (Watch)
Pro: I live in central Florida at the far edge of the reception zone and find that the watch sets itself on the first try every night no matter where I lay it, or how I point it, inside my house. All features work nicely. The display is a nice size and easy to read. I like the fact that all the essentials are shown.....hour, minute, seconds, am, pm, dst, month, date, year, day of week, and etc. without having to press extra buttons.

Con: This is a BIG, BIG, BIG con. My efforts with Casio customer support to learn how to change out the battery were fruitless, and after my first try........met with silence. They would have me send the watch to New Jersey to have the battery changed. Local jewelers are a no-no according to Casio. So $10.00 up, another $10.00 back, plus around another $30.00 for the battery and labor. How ever nice the watch may be, it will be a throw away after two years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2009 11:44:49 PM PST
Bill says:
Or just do what I did and replace the battery yourself. Don't listen to Casio's BS about the watch losing WR after a battery change. I've tested this on this very watch and it was fine after the battery change. It sot me $3.

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 2:47:23 PM PST
i purchased this watch in june 2009. it arrived without a battery, i had a jeweler install the battery. according to casio the guarantee is void if casio does not install the battery. the watch does not work properly. it burns batteries out in a couple of months.

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 5:28:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2010 5:34:55 PM PST
jerwig says:
John:
I'm not sure why Casio does not recommend having a local jeweler change your battery. We have a local jeweler who only charges $5 to change the battery in my Casio G Shock solar atomic watch. That jeweler does tell me though that if my watch was water proof when purchased, it wn't be after they open the watch to replace the battery. That is very likely the reason Casio is telling you not to go to the local jeweler for a battery change. However, if you really don't care if your watch is waterproof to 200 meters, that may not matter. That was not the primary reason I bought my watch. I like this men's waveceptor watch because it is NOT a solar watch, but is atomic. The solar part of my watch failed at about 2 years. To fix it will cost close to $50 as most jewelers have to send it away to replace the capacitor, which is what fails. You can replace the battery with a normal (non rechargable) one, but with the capacitor bad, that battery only lasts about a year. The next time my battery goes dead, I may opt to buy one of these instead. If I have to spend $5 at my local jeweler every two years that it is an inconvenienence I can live with. Like you, I think the best part of my watch is the display which shows hours, minutes, seconds, day of week, month, and day of month. Also because its atomic, I never have to reset it, even after daytlight savings time change or on a leap year.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2010 9:11:25 AM PST
i purchased this watch from amazon. it arrived without a battery which according to casio voids the guarantee.

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 12:21:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2011 6:24:48 PM PDT
I brought mine to the Wal-Mart jewlery section and a yong lady changed the battery. It cost me under $6.00 total. However, it turned out that it didn't need a battery. You see, the watch radio receiver stopped working and I thought it was the battery. However, to give Casio the benefit of the doubt, the watch was hit hard enough to leave a scratch. I'm sure that caused the radio to stop working. Still, I bet it is the same workings Casio puts in the G-Shock version, or is it? Should I buy the G-shock version of this watch? Update: The watch radio does work. I don't know what happened, but I am leaving it alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 6:32:10 PM PDT
ebinrock says:
I'd really like to know how you did it. I am of this moment replacing a very similar Casio Waveceptor watch (steel band, everything like this one) because neither I nor a Walmart jewelry associate could figure out how to get that pesky metal plate loose to get to the battery. I tried (gently) prying it, sliding it, until the main body of my watch popped out, along with some plastic pieces that broke. They make it where you can't get the battery out, unless I guess you have Casio's special proprietary tool or something. They're not alone in this; I can think of at least one other electronics company that doesn't let the user replace the battery - which is asinine. It's all about money. They know darn well if you can replace the battery yourself, the device will last darn near forever, which will cut into sales of new products, and therefore, profits.

Posted on Oct 3, 2010 6:34:22 PM PDT
ebinrock says:
About having to bring the watch to Casio just to replace the battery: Can you say "Apple"?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 7:35:58 PM PDT
At first, the lady at the Wal-Mart jewelry counter couldn't figure out how to move that plate either. Then, she said, "Oh, let me try this." She removed a tiny screw and it popped open. However, the screw flew out onto the floor and I couldn't find it, and she didn't have a replacement. So, she put the watch together without the screw. It works, so I have no complaints. I think I will replace this watch anyway. It is a bit bulky and I prefer a Twisto-Flex band.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2010 7:59:17 PM PDT
I agree with you. Also, I am not overly concerned about the warranty of any items for which I pay $50 or less. I don't even keep those receipts. Also, it seems that only people who have experience changing watch batteries will figure out that the battery plate is held in by a screw. I'm glad I brought it to Wal-Mart to change the battery. They changed it for free and only charged me for the battery. If I did it myself, I'd have to buy tiny screwdrivers and I am all thumbs anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2010 5:41:39 AM PDT
ebinrock says:
Well, I wish Walmart would be consistent in their training, because my Walmart jewelry tech couldn't figure it out. You might also have a different model than mine (WV59DA-1AV); I didn't see any screw for the metal part holding the battery in (I got the back of the case off with a precision screwdriver, but I'm talking about the metal plate inside holding the battery in). It looked permanent, and like I said, I couldn't pry it or slide it without breaking the watch, which I did.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (497 customer reviews)

$49.95 $30.41