2.0 out of 5 stars Customer service non-existent, November 18, 2009
This review is from: Casio Men's WV58DA-1AV "Waveceptor" Atomic Sport Watch (Watch)
Pro: I live in central Florida at the far edge of the reception zone and find that the watch sets itself on the first try every night no matter where I lay it, or how I point it, inside my house. All features work nicely. The display is a nice size and easy to read. I like the fact that all the essentials are shown.....hour, minute, seconds, am, pm, dst, month, date, year, day of week, and etc. without having to press extra buttons.

Con: This is a BIG, BIG, BIG con. My efforts with Casio customer support to learn how to change out the battery were fruitless, and after my first try........met with silence. They would have me send the watch to New Jersey to have the battery changed. Local jewelers are a no-no according to Casio. So $10.00 up, another $10.00 back, plus around another $30.00 for the battery and labor. How ever nice the watch may be, it will be a throw away after two years.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 33 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2010 6:19:59 AM PDT
Yes, I knew you meant the battery plate. Like you, if I had tried to replace the battery myself, I would probably have broken it. The young lady that helped me must have replaced lots of batteries in many types of watches. Still, I wonder if the Wal-Mart jewelry people get any training at all except in sales. On a whim, I tried YouTube.com for watch-changing tutorials. I found only one. Perhaps it will help. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=casio+watch+battery+replacement&aq=f. It would be great if the all watch manufacturers discovered YouTube. Good luck.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 3:48:10 PM PDT
Even after looking on the web I still couldn't figure out how to remove the battery clip from the battery...couldn't find info about which end of the clip was the
one to loosen. I doubt that it really mattered, as I found it to be an almost impossible task.

In my world, the battery clip mechanism is just not acceptable and is a horrible design...it seems almost on purpose.

The watch has served me pretty well for a couple of years but the directions for setting the thing are several pages of pretty much jibberish....they really
should do a lot better.

I have to agree with the 'throw away' comment.

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 4:29:40 AM PDT
the watch is a technological marvel, but will only work correctly if it receives the radio signal. i live in miami, far from colorado and seldom if ever does it pick up this signal.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 5:02:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2011 5:05:43 PM PDT
jerwig says:
Why do you think you will need a new battery after 2 years? My battery did die after 2 years because the solar charge function failed. Barring that, your watch should last much longer than 2 years. We have a jeweler near our home that changes the battery for $5 including labor & the new battery. With the solar function gone, the watch works like a non solar watch. The battery lasts 1-2 years. Therefore, if the battery does die after X years, if you can find a jeweler who is cheap for replacing batteries, you might want to continue using the watch but replace the battery periogically. It is the best watch I've ever owned from a technology standpoint.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 12:28:24 AM PDT
John Reublin says:
It is not solar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2011 12:27:29 PM PDT
jerwig says:
Your correct John, this watch is not solar. I got it mixed up with another watch I own, the CASIO Solar Atomic watch. It is similar in that both watches have the Waveceptor automatic update feature, but mine has the solar feature also. In my case. the Solar feature failed about 2 years after I purchased it. So for about the past 5 years I've been using it just like this Waveceptor watch which requires periodicly changing the battery. I have found that to be a small thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2011 7:36:05 AM PDT
Helpful me says:
That plate unhooks near the center of it with a straight pin to unlatch the flat spring. Takes some fiddling but Battery pops out and spring plate clips back in after replacement.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 12:12:54 PM PST
Try Lacrosse as you get about 2years on battery and only$8 for new 5 year replacement battery.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 12:44:36 PM PST
local jewelers change the battery for $10. this watch is a little marvel of technology. unfortunately it relies on a reflected signal from the ionosphere, here in miami reception is irregular .

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 3:06:59 PM PDT
Helen says:
I've got a Casio Wave Ceptor "World Time" atomic watch, and it's been great. I didn't even know Casio wanted me to return it for a battery. I took it to Barreries+ ("Batteries Plus") when it stopped working, and they replaced the battery -- free replacement, for price of battery... and it's been working fine for a couple more years. I'm looking for the best place to purchase another watch just like this one, as backup for the future. I play a lot of tennis, and many watches don't last this long, so I want to get one before they stop making them...

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (723 customer reviews)

$49.95 $34.59