Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween

1.0 out of 5 stars Much worse sound than the previous model, Triport/AE1, February 19, 2011
This review is from: Bose AE2 Around-Ear Audio Headphones, Black (Electronics)
The Bose AE2 is supposedly the next generation of Bose's famous Triport line, which was later renamed simply Around Ear, now retroactively referred to as AE1 in light of this new model, the AE2, i.e., Around Ear 2.

The AE2s are not merely a cosmetic redesign of the Triports/AE1s, and they are certainly not an improvement. They have much worse sound. This past week I've tried direct comparisons with my current pair of Triports on three different pair in three different shops through my very own iPod (a 5.5 generation model, but that's a whole 'nuther story), and it isn't even close. It's not a subtle difference (like the difference between the 5.5 gen iPod and the Classic, but still, a whole 'nuther story). The AE2s first of all produce much less sound volume (even pushing them closer to my ears to compensate for the collapsed foam on my old pair). They are not sufficient to the task of being satisfying on an iPod. Second, even adjusting for the lower volume, the bass response is much worse. Basically, they finally do sound like the $10 pieces of crap the audiophiles have long accused them of being (see below), but they still cost $150. These deeply unsatisfying headphones are a massive fail for Bose and a poke in the eye to their customers, so I'm going to use the annoying tactic of writing in all caps, to make sure I save as many people as possible from a terrible fate:

If you loved the Bose Triports and want to replicate the experience, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PURCHASE A PAIR OF BOSE AE2s.

You can stop reading now if that bit of advice is satisfying, but I do have more to say on this topic.

Bose has always taken a lot of flack from the audiophile community for being overpriced and for sounding bad, but I have done a lot of research and think it's mostly undeserved, and the glib dismissals uninformative. They may be overpriced, but they are definitely in the top echelon of performance for portable audio players such as the iPod or Walkman (I was porting my audio around town, and doing all this research, before the iPod even existed). Let me explain.

It's a simple thing to find great sounding pair of headphones. There are dozens of models in the higher- and highest-end range that satisfy that need, ranging from $100 to $1000 and beyond. But if you want a pair of headphones for an iPod, there is a great limitation placed on what you can get. You have to get a pair that are highly efficient, meaning they can produce a loud sound with only a little power. Really cheap headphones (in the $20-40 range) do this just fine, and can sound passably decent as well. But if you want to do better than that, move up to a higher price point to get better quality, you find yourself at a bottleneck, where the higher the price and quality, the less efficient the speakers, so the more power that is needed to drive them. There are only a few models that hit the sweet spot between efficiency and sound quality, and the Bose Triports were always my favorites.

People often bring up AKG and Sennheiser as being better for portable audio and cheaper than Bose. There is definitely something to this. The AKG K519DJ actually do sound a bit better than Bose Triports (though not so drastically better as to justify the abuse heaped on the Triports), but they have one fatal flaw: they don't cup over your ear, they sit right on it, and crush your lobes against your head. I had a $150 pair like this from Audio-Technica that did this, and after about 40 minutes of listening my ears hurt (the flesh, not the drums). But if this type of design sits too lightly on your ears, it won't block out outside noise. I walk around Tokyo with my headphones on day in and day out, so isolation from the sounds of passing trucks and incoming subways is essential, not to mention isolating my music from the people sitting next to me on subway so as not to bother them. Any on-ear pair is going to either crush your ears, or sit so lightly on them as to not block out outside noise. The Sennheisers I've seen in this price range have this same problem. (Except the HD 202s, which just sit awkwardly on my head anyway and leave gaps in their closure). Grados have no sound isolation at all, and harsh treble on loud rock to boot. (I use them for films though).

So the Bose Triports are the only pair of headphones I have yet found that satisfy, for the following reasons:

-Highly efficient, so sufficiently loud with iPod
-Very good sound quality, big bass with non-harsh treble, even on loud rock like Nirvana
-Comfortable to wear for hours on end
-Sound is isolated

All this to head off any critics from the pious audiophile gallery who might wish to dismiss me as uninformed and dismiss what I have to say about the Bose AE2s as having been the problem all along.

I do wish that AKG or Sennheiser would come out with a pair of headphones as good as the Triports. I know they are respectable companies that care about their products and customers, and would not try to trick me into buying their newer, much-worse model by claiming it was an improvement over their previous model. I don't respect Bose, I don't like them, they just happened to make the only headphones I liked. Here's hoping the five pair of Triports I've stockpiled (plus the two pair I have that are on their last leg) will last until someone makes a satisfactory pair again, or I figure out how to repair them. (The wiring in Bose Triports tends to disconnect every 6-12 months, at the point of connection with either the cans or the plug, and I always returned them to Bose to get a new pair for $40).

I'm open to suggestions for other headphones to try out so I can break my reliance on Bose, or of how to fix the Triports. I'm not sold on noise-canceling, as the ones I've tried seem to sound wrong somehow, and seem too complicated. And in-ear are uncomfortable, fall out easily, and kind of gross.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 29, 2011 7:04:52 PM PDT
J. Neal says:
I've read good things on Shure's SRH240 for an ipod. Your advanced thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2011 10:47:26 PM PDT
A. Mitchell says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 2:19:54 PM PDT
He's in tokyo? I love these headphones and I have read that there are many illegal knockoffs claiming to be the real thing. I also upgraded from the triports and find these superior. Just a thought.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 11:48:22 PM PDT
Adam Milikin says:
i was going to take your review seriously, but then i saw you reference nirvana...

Posted on May 7, 2011 10:27:11 PM PDT
Sean says:
Grado SR80's and Sennheiser HD555 and HD595 are all way better than even the original Bose Triports.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:37:23 AM PDT
Beebe Freed says:
I listen to Scarlatti, Purcell, Bach, and Barry White; so what. His review is careful and informative.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:38:05 AM PDT
Beebe Freed says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 8:09:13 PM PDT
Joe J. Kern says:
I have Grado SR80's for home use, to watch movies with, but they are not suitable for use in public. Once when my Triports were broken I took the Grados on the train, and was tapped on the shoulder by guy and informed, via gestures, that my headphones were broadcasting to everyone in the car. I thanked him. Also, I disagree that they sound better than Triports. The highs may be better, but with loud distorted guitar that sort of frequency response doesn't work well for my ears. The bass may be truer, but the Triports sound more rounded to my ears.

I've tried many of the Sennheisers as well. Always dissatisfied for one reason or another--ergonomics, bulk, sound, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2011 8:22:58 PM PDT
Joe J. Kern says:

Joshua Scullin, I tested these phones at only reputable electronics stores, one of them the largest chain in Tokyo. The odds of the ones I tried being knockoffs are the same or less than a pair from Best Buy being knockoffs.

I appreciate your concern A. Mitchell. Tokyo is really fine, we've never had much trouble here except some very minor shortages. The people in Tohoku most definitely still need our support though.

I hate to self-promote, but I wrote a blog entry for family and friends in the states about how the earthquake felt in Tokyo, and how the Western media misreported, if you're interested. Do a search for "cream cheese tohoku" and it'll come up first.

Posted on Aug 23, 2011 8:26:25 AM PDT
Jwhack says:
Try the Sennheiser HD555's. $50.00 cheaper than the Bose. Exchangeable parts, extreme comfort etc. They will murder your Bose. I use mine on a computer with an X-FI sound card so if you mp3 player doesn't have enough power to drive them maybe buy a portable headphone amp with the $50.00 you saved?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›