4.0 out of 5 stars a high end for DSLR beginners!, February 28, 2011
I was so surprised how light is the T3i, (in comparison to 7D /50D or 60D) with its 18.0 mega pixel the CMOS sensor captures superb image quality with low noise and natural color
The EOS T3i, positioned between the EOS T2i and EOS 60D, features scene intelligent auto, 3-inch vari-angle clear view LCD and a selection of five creative filters including the new fish eye effect (which is awesome!!)
honestly, once you get this camera, no need for Photoshop.

I initially purchased the 7DCanon EOS 7D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3-inch LCD (Body Only), but then I returned it due to the more complicated usage, and the post-photo processing/ editing necessary for making pictures look better.

T3i comes with an instructional guide built in, like the Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens. The guide tells beginners (or rusty intermediates) how to set the camera to get specific types of shots. For instance, if you dial up macro mode, it says "for closeups of small objects such as flowers, shoot as close as possible."
the T3i gives me all I want, clear and hassle free pictures, ready to upload/print.

it uses normal SD cards, no need for the expensive CF flash cards.
longer battery life, and low consumption.

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens comes with the camera, and it is a great lens for beginners, and gives a great opportunity to practice Manual Focus!

Do not invest in expensive lenses from the start, you might like the point and shoot, and reselling the lenses might be a great loss.

I'm not a professional photographer, nor an electronic specialist, so I reviewed the item as a myself, so if you like my review, please rate it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 11, 2011 8:38:17 PM PDT
N. Grandon says:
I have a few issues with some things you said. Having to edit a photo at end stage is because you don't have your setting correct. I'm guess (don't own a T3i) that it's built towards a beginner photographer so it has features that help correct bad photos (like a point and shot camera) The higher end camera require you to setup the camera. Sometime just a tweak here and there like white balance and so on. If you go from a point and shoot to a 7D thats a HUGE learning curve and most people don't understand photography enough to unstand what happening when they do this or that. Some things to realize is how Appecture and shutter timing make your photo. What does ISO do? Smaller number (ISO 100)better picture needs more light and Higher number (ISO 1600) give you a grainer pic but requires less light. and so on and so fourth.

Second thing i'd like to respond to is lenses. It doesn't matter if you have a cheap SLR/DSLR or a high end camera. Lenses are what give you that awesome photo. Look at a normal lens and a L series lens and you'll notice some thing. L series lens have better glass, smaller ones zoom on the inside rather then moving a hole lens. The inside lenses are bigger and for that much can use Full frame rather then APS-C (i think thats right can't remember off the top of my head right now). So saying a cheap camera shouldn't have a good lens is not a correct statement. When i shot with my Canon Rebel(film) back in the day my photos looked awesome. that was a $200 camera, i think, with L series lens on it. My favorite L series lens is the 17-40mm It's my do everything lens. Also one thing to note is make sure you like Canon, Sony, Nikon, and so on before you buy your lens. Once you start buying lens thats the brand your going to stick with since lens are most of your cost of the camera.

Thanks for your review but i though i'd clearify some things.

Posted on May 13, 2011 8:51:41 PM PDT
T. Parks says:
You still need photoshop (or in my case, Gimp.) I'm willing to bet 90% of pictures taken will have a color cast, even if barely visible. I used to think a good photographer took pics that didn't need to be edited. But as you progress through the hobby, you'll find that a good photographer edits their work to make it more appealing. I'm just an enthusiast as well, however. No college or anything. Just a passion. Good luck on your journey!

And to those wondering about lenses: I suggest some low priced Tamron brand lenses. Tamron is a great brand to start with for learning without emptying your wallet in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2011 10:49:34 AM PDT
A Hamm says:
@ngrandon when they give features of 3ti and 60 D they say compatible with all ef and ef s lens so how can you put an L lens on a cheaper body?. since you seem to have lots of info on lenses I have another question if you dont mind. you mentioned a 17-40 lens and some ppl say get a 50mm lens at lower f stop. how can you operate with just one mm setting. obviouslly i am confused beginner. also they describe the 1.6 multiplier to compare to the 35mm term so a 55mm is equiv. to a 3x zoom so does that mean that the 18mm end of it equiv to 30mm? if so then I dont have as wide an angle as my 24mm point and shoot? I want to shoot mainly wide angle. what shalll I get? sorry so many questions but the more I read about this the more questions I get. appreciate it if you can help if not too much. thanx.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2011 9:23:56 AM PDT
Arsene Lupin says:
@ngrandon, L or prime lenses are very good choice for beginners too, EF. EF-S, they are compatible adapters.
the L is more of the quality of the glass the lens (could be EF or EFS) is made of.
as of wide angle, the best canon lens for wide angle is the canon 10-22, despite the fact it is not an L, but it is a very well made lens and bring sharp look to landscape or wide vue.

I will still suggest the 50mm 1.8f as a good prime lens!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 5:43:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2011 5:46:24 AM PDT
John S. says:
@Martina Selepova
Just my $.02 worth:

I started in the DSLR world with the Canon XTi and the kit lens. My brother passed down his older Canon Zoom lens: EF 28-135mm - F/3.5-5.6 USM- and I LOVED IT. Because it is a EF lens, putting it on the T3i body will give you results like it is a 45-215mm lens. Worked GREAT. (Only "bummer" is the cost for that lens is around $400 right now.)

Regrettably, my camera (and all my glass / accessories) was (/ were) stolen and I'm now in the process of replacing all my gear. When I purchased my T3i, I did get it with the kit lens (18-55mm) and got a great deal when I added the Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS EF-S LENS. Both of these lenses work well, and are inexpensive, but I've realized that I used to just keep the lens my brother gave me on for most of my shots in the past...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 6:01:49 AM PST
The quality of the lens is more than apparent on any size of print. The fact that hobby or family photographers don't invest in L lenses is nothing to do with the quality not being apparent, the cost of them makes them a serious investment and therefore only appealing to serious photographers. But to suggest that you won't be able to see the difference between a cheap kit lens and an L series lens in 7x5 print format is frankly ludicrous.

Also, the ability to print larger prints comes with higher MP counts, an L series lens on a 3MP sensor printed at A0 will look a lot worse than a kit lens on an 18MP sensor

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 6:01:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2012 6:12:10 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2012 6:09:36 AM PST
I would seriously try to throw as much money as you can at a lens. If you have any intentions at all of becoming proficient at photography and seeing where it can take you, go for an L series lens. The differences may not seem so apparent to you as a beginner but you will quickly learn how to use it properly, and will really understand the difference in quality. Just compare it to your kit lens and you will see how versatile and superior they actually are. I always justify the expensive purchases as "buy cheap and buy twice" meaning that as the limitations of the cheaper options become apparent, I will rue the day I tried to save a few pennies and end up spending on the more expensive lens. I would recommend the Canon L series 24-105 lens as an excellent all rounder lens. It is pricey, but performs excellently as a landscape lens, the IS function allows it to perform as a 'fast' lens (works well in situations where a fast shutter speed is required), and the zoom range is sufficient to cover most aspects of hobby photography. The only subjects that would require a longer zoom would be wildlife photography, which is highly specialised.

Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 7:43:07 AM PDT
C. Kerstann says:
Bad lenses give bad results. If your results don't meet your expectations then why continue. Buy the best lens you can afford, you can see the difference between a aftermarket lens and an L series lens just by looking through the viewfinder. If you can't maybe you need a new hobby.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 6:17:52 PM PDT
R. Butler says:
@C. Kerstann, your comments are ridiculous and unfounded. Not a single person commenting here mentioned anything about bad lenses or unmet expectations. You imply anything besides an L lens is a bad lens. This simply is not true. A Canon kit lens or decent aftermarket lens can be happily adequate to the average user. Furthermore, photography, as a hobby, or profession, is not defined by one's ability to detect the quality of a lens through one's viewfinder. Suggesting one should abandon photography as a hobby because one can't see the difference "simply by looking through the viewfinder" is utterly asinine!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›