5.0 out of 5 stars Just a review from another convert to the Ipad, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Apple iPad 2 2nd generation Tablet, 1 GHz processor, 16GB, Wifi (White) (Personal Computers)
I'll start by being brutally honest here and admit that initially I doubted Apple's Ipad when it was initially released in 2010. I didn't see much utility for it and frankly thought it was a bit silly and I wasn't all for it. I didn't see much use for it although I recognized it was a nifty, cool little device but thought it was a bit too much like an Ipod touch. Forward to 2012 I now am the owner of an Ipad 2 and loving it, I'm converted. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to spend time experimenting and playing with the tablet that I saw myself using it me and bringing it along with me, in short wanting one. I've owned an Ipad for a little over two weeks and with this time passed by I've had enough time to enjoy and experiment enough with this device that now seems to be the right time to review it. If you must know I went for the Ipad 2 simply because I liked how remarkably slim and light it was and although the Ipad 3 has the new retina display, to me it didn't significantly expand the second generation of Apple tablets for me to pay a hundred dollars more (money is important after all and is a deciding factor) to have the "new" product I decided. I read reviews and articles, comparisons between the second and third generations of Ipad and came to the conclusion that I'd be well off with 16 GB Ipad 2 and from then on would decide whether or not to upgrade to one of the future Ipads depending on my use and enjoyment of the tablet.

You can say all you want but no one presents and markets a product quite like Apple is capable of (and does). They're often criticized for how expensive their products are yet they are everywhere and well designed and thought and they're hard to ignore. Apple had success with the Mac and Mac book and their different models, the Ipod, the Iphone (all with variations and updated models of the same product) and more recently with the Ipad. I'll be the first to admit Apple's gadgets and electronic devices can be expensive but I've also never had a problem with any apple product I've owned in the past.

The size is one of the best thing about the Ipad, it's neither too big nor too small and the screen is big, bright and clear and there's just so much you can do. The interface is excellent; it feels and works great, looks neat and simplistic and it's very easy to catch on. It just feels natural and anyone from a child to a grandparent can use it and understand the bare basics an enjoy it. The applications or "apps" as they are called are truly what MAKE the Ipad the innovative device that it is, otherwise it does a lot of what your Iphone/Ipod touch or Laptop/Desktop do which is still keep in mind, excellent. There are ton of apps for different needs be it for reading books and magazines, to taking notes, playing fun games and everything in between. There are ton of apps already on the market, some brilliant and very useful to some downright stupid and new ones are constantly being created. Many apps are free, not most but a good quantity are and the range from the 0.99-1.99-2.99-3.99... 9.99 etc. There are apps that serve as business tools, diverse utilities, fun mindless games like the popular Angry Birds, there's Safari as the internet browser, you can set up you e-mail accounts, manage your bank account, make hotel reservations etc. The list goes on please believe! There's of course Itunes from which you can buy music, movies and more and have them uploaded instantly to your Ipad. You can also sync it to any existing Itunes account and select material to upload to the device. I also like that there is both an inward and outward camera like on the Iphone so you can take pictures of anything you see or yourself which is a very nice option I thought I'd mention. Those programs and apps are all stored in your Ipad via the memory it contains whether it's 16, 32 or 64 GB and ultimately the amount of Gigabytes you have determines how much content can be stored on the Ipad. The battery life is roughly ten hours (of course depending on certain factors such the brightness, volume etc.) which is not bad at all and still better than my laptop.

These are just a few thoughts and suggestions if you're considering purchasing an Ipad.

- For me just the Wi-Fi model was fine. However, if you're often on the go and have a need for internet that can't wait and need it "right now" all the time without close Wi-Fi access available at all times then maybe you should consider getting a 3G model for just a little more $ with a monthly or pre-paid plan.

-Another thing you might want to consider is the memory you're going to need. The 16G model has in reality 13.9 G (there is always a certain portion of available storage taken before even touch it) and I think for the average user this will be fine (besides you can always remove apps etc. and it does keep track of whatever you've downloaded in case you want it back). Most apps don't take up a whole lot of storage room although some are bigger than others. The same with music, it depends how much you plan to use the Ipad for music and this also applies to the books you buy and how many you plan to buy keep (although the books aren't as bad as the music and movies as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're a hardcore reader who plans to store plenty of books). If you're planning to upload a lot of movies or have/use a lot of data then perhaps a 32G or 64G model would be a better fit for you considering how movies can easily be over 1GB each. They're more expensive of course but may warrant the consideration if you'd rather have the larger number of Gigabytes but and not take the available space entirely than have one that's filled up soon after.

-If you're interested in owning the latest thing and see potential great things about the Ipad 3 like the retina display and the upgraded processor you may want to go ahead with the newer model. Otherwise the second generation Ipad makes a viable option if you want to save a bit of money, other than that the two devices are basically identical and at first look no one could notice a difference between the 2 and 3. If you're considering either I suggest you do some research as I did, especially if money is an important factor in your decision and then decide for yourself which one it is you want.

-Another somewhat big decision is the color choice, whether you want a black Ipad or a white one. Personally I went with the white one as I liked how it looked and it seems to me that most people I know own the black. The color is not all that important it's what it can do and the options it gives you although some will insist on owning either one color or the other.

-Last you may want to protect the Ipad with a protective screen just in case (it's always better to be prepared) to protect it. You may want to consider purchasing a nice case to store and carry it and maybe even a stylus pen if you think you might be into that type of thing.

In a world where tablets are rapidly and steadily selling Apple's Ipad has in reality very little competition partly due to clever marketing but mostly due to the great product they delivered. Don't have a lot of negatives, if any, to say for the most part I am really liking it and find myself using it every single day and it nearly replaces my laptop. It does close to everything I want to do with my laptop usually, for me the Ipad is now one of those things tht I can't live without (not literally but still!). I made the jump and find myself enjoying the Ipad and like it for its portability which makes it great for travelling and carrying wherever I go. It's entertaining, useful and smooth. I like that I can have so much in one convenient sized device that doesn't take up a whole lot of space, can access wi-fi, check my e-mails, play games and more. It's not as big or heavy as a laptop, does not overheat even when running for several hours and opens MUCH faster yet it's not so small that it's inconvenient to type or a little hard to read (or touch in the case of my cellular phone) and do tasks with a cell phone, it's a perfect balance if you will. I really don't have anything negative to say about my Ipad, it would be nice in the future to have place for a USB/SD slot and I believe that may be coming eventually. Obviously I've been praising the Ipad a lot and I don't regret my purchase, full marks *****.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]