4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking TV--very basic in features. Other review is false., October 30, 2012
This review is from: Westinghouse UW40T2BW 40-Inch 1080p 120HZ Slim LED HDTV (Electronics)
I would like to start my review by commenting on the other review. I viewed the TV at Costco and it is, in fact, NOT the same TV. It has the same specs, but is not in fact the same model number. The TV at Costco had a much more dull, inaccurate color to it as well. I think this is the difference between this tv and the UW40TC1W.

On the TV itself: The TV's picture is really good for the money. I am using a Dish Satellite with a Joey Hopper and it looks great. I use it in my bedroom and lie about 8-10 feet away (head to screen). I hooked up my BR Drive and the picture was clear and crisp (not vivid or exciting like a Samsung, but still very good). (Make sure your input is set to 1080p--I was watching 480p until I realized there was a difference in my Dish Joey settings).

Pros: Price, picture, size, LED, 120Hz, 1080p, calibration presets

Cons: Basic remote, lackluster feature set (hard to adjust and calibrate picture, but see above), not smart TV, and no "smooth motion setting"

Overall, the TV is priced right, but not a 5 start TV at all. Given the price, I can only knock one star. It is what it is and it's not trying to be anything it isn't. See cons.

Update: Wanted to add that I have not attempted to mount this. The TV is breaking in some and looks better every week to me. I have used it with my HP DV7 to play Bluray and they look pretty darned good. I also hooked it up to my desktop via my GTX295 and enjoyed COD4 and BFBC2 with lots of immersion. I have always wanted to play on something this large. Paired with the GTX295 and an HDMI cable, games look great with little screen lag.

Side note: I received the TV with absolutely 0 dead pixels or any other cosmetic issues. I might just be lucky, but in the some 12 devices I have owned with flat panels, only my PSP had a single dead pixel. I feel terribly sorry for those with as many as 5-6 with any given brand, but no issues at all here!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 11:58:13 PM PDT
J. Shah says:
did you knock one star and gave 4 stars because price is low? how many stars would you give if it cost original price $500? how is the sound quality? please reply to help me choose my next LED.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:55:52 AM PDT
Mohammed says:
I mean I knocked one star because it wasn't cheaper for how basic it is. To its defense, the other TV's of this specification are around $500.

I don't think I would have purchased it at $500. I would have opted for a Samsung at that price.

Speaker quality is good and loud. Good for regular shows and watching. Not very exciting for movies and music. I would recommend side speakers for that. I believe there is a 3.5mm jack on the back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:24:23 AM PDT
J. Shah says:
but would you recommend me to purchase it at its current price $368 ? for how much did you buy it ? would you give five stars at $368 price?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:40:38 AM PDT
Mohammed says:
Yes. I paid $378 for the TV on woot last week.

I would give it 5 stars at the $300 price.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:53:22 PM PST
Subbu says:
Hi Someone told me that WestingHouse house TVs will work in India (PAL input) with out any conversion. All other TV brands available in US are NTSC. Could you please look at this TVs user manual and help me whether this TV supports both PAL input and NTSC input as well. Similarly power is it supports 220/50

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:04:25 PM PST
Mohammed says:
I'm sorry--I seemed to have misplaced my manual. I did, however, take a picture of the power adapter for you. I will post it in the pictures section--maybe it will help you.

I did not see the NTSC marking anywhere. The adapter looks similar to a laptop's and the pack itself is rather small.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 5:27:08 PM PDT
how is the tv working now? the biggest complaint i've seen of westinghouse tv's seems to have been issues of functionality around a year. any problems?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2013 11:46:49 PM PDT
Mohammed says:
I've since sold the TV but I didn't have any issues and the buyer never complained.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (162 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $350.00